BTO’s South Carolina postgame report

Discussed in the in-game thread. Apparently Chick-Fil-A gives a free sandwich when opponents miss late free throws.

Correct. If the visiting team misses two consecutive free throws with 8 minutes or less to go in the game, everyone in attendance can use their ticket stub to claim a free sandwich at any Columbia area Chick-Fil-A.

Unfortunately, I have to be back at work in Murrells Inlet on the coast by late morning tomorrow, so my husband and I will miss out on our free sandwiches. We’re heading east on I-20 pretty early. So sad! But I think we’ll be just fine savoring the sweet taste of victory!

I though it was a very consistent game for UT tonight, no long scoring droughts. USC made a run and UT just hit another gear and blew by them. I guess it was just me but I was wondering 8 minutes into the 2nd half why they were leaving Schofield in the game, then he basically took over and dominated. Guy is like a Mack truck, always attacking. Like to see him drive from the 3 point line as first choice instead of jacking 3's and they head down the stretch. Those finger rolls are there every night.

I am thrilled about getting JJ and Derrick some really good minutes (even if it was due to an injury in JJ’s case and foul trouble in Derrick’s) in a hostile environment. If our bench can get a bit deeper to where we don’t have to play the main bunch so many minutes, I think it’d do us a lot of good

Forgot to mention - they also had a “biscuit toss” during one of the TV timeouts. Cheerleaders literally hurled Bojangles biscuits into the crowd. And people were actually eating them. It was hilarious.

Were they wrapped? Were they just plain biscuits or did they have chicken in them?

....I'd probably eat one.

USCjr fans made themselves look stupid hassling the refs. Game called pretty heavily in their favor and still complaining. Nice to see Walker and Full mostly do what was needed with Kyle in foul trouble.

Happy to see JJ get meaningful mins...should help his confidence. I feel better about our tourney chances if they can at a minimum play like that. Bone is a stud and Lamontes speed and attacking is also impressive.

After the SC fan chant toward refs, they stopped getting every whistle. Fans did not realize they had a good thing going until they verbally attacked the refs.

We were at the game tonight and couldn't believe the USC fans were chanting "Refs you suck" especially when they were getting most of the calls. I told my kids who were with me, WE dont ever do that! That's not acceptable no matter how bad we think things are. So disrespectful and embarrassing for USC.

Reactions: ohhbother
Had that game been close the last 5 minutes, he would have been a huge liability.

I am certainly worried about it for this year, but he may be really needed next year, and that just simply won't work. So far, he is hitting 34.1% of his free thorows. He needs to almost double that percentage if he wants to help this team going forward.

We were at the game tonight and couldn't believe the USC fans were chanting "Refs you suck" especially when they were getting most of the calls. I told my kids who were with me, WE dont ever do that! That's not acceptable no matter how bad we think things are. So disrespectful and embarrassing for USC.
It is truly appalling and abominable. It is the most glaring sign of society degenerating into chaos and evil.

What is really good for this team come tournament time is that they are learning several different ways to win games.

PB&J, Alexander inside, Bone, Bowden, Turner and others stepping up in clutch times, doing it with offense, defense, getting greedy at the charity stripe, and out-coaching the other squad to name a few.

Was not just him.... There were a couple of bad calls on us, Alexanders last the worst one, one of Fulky was really suspect too, but it was the the 132 no calls on their defense that quantified how one sided the game was called. For sure we should have had a bunch of and 1 opportunities and a few more possessions on some misses. Just so obvious....
We got a road whistle for sure but it wasn't anything surprising or out of the ordinary. Great teams overcome this and we did.

Kyle Alexander has been "just a guy" far too often, lately. The dropoff from him to Fulkerson is staggering. He has to keep himself on the court, and the past two games, he has looked like an undisciplined freshman instead of an experienced senior team leader. He is killing his team by being on the bench. Past two games; 10 fouls in like, 22 minutes. That's pathetic.

Bone is so good. He just does whatever he wants, and the game moves so slow for him now. Second game in a row he has tried to get too cute on a pass, but that is nitpicking. His shot has really improved. Still a little flat at times, but it is going in. Shooting 39% from 3 since the Memphis game.

Williams and Schofield are the kind of pairing that championship teams ride. Fortunately, we have guys like Bone, Bowden, Turner, Alexander to mitigate any time one of the other two are struggling.

So it wasn’t just me who thought the refs were calling it hard toward the home team? Not like BTO to complain about officiating?

It sure looked to me like Silva was barely getting touched on his 3 pt plays. Home cookin' but it didn't matter

I was glad to see Admiral get his swagger back tonight.

I agree that Grant was taking a beating without some calls he usually gets. I also think Grant enjoys giving out that beating if it’s going to be like that. All their coach talked about was the “physicality”. We wore them out.

Great performance given the adversity we faced tonight. With Bowden out and Alexander mostly absent, it definitely wasn’t the norm. Great management by the staff to keep most everyone from fouling out. So to win by 22 in that environment? All I gotta say is Go Vols!

When Fulk first entered, 1st offensive possession iirc, he's setting a pick at the high post and USC basically punches him in the gut. Literally shoved him out of the way. While TN was called for 5 fouls in the first 3.5 minutes. Refs wear me out every season. By February I'm always tired of watching basketball because they influence games so much.

Did you read my post as I stated as we were about to start SEC play. Some were complaining about the officials during the Kansas or Louisville or other games. I stated that so far I thought the officiating was good but just wait until we enter SEC play and then you will see the quick whistles and foul calls go against us. Not complaining but I think SEC officiating is some of the worst!!!! Sometimes we have to beat the team of players along with the team of officials.

Also I just want to say how great it was to see how even the point scoring was from Admiral, Williams, Bone, and Turner........Can't shut down one man and beat Tennessee that way. I said I hoped they were looking to score out of the gate tonight and they were. Great work guys. Fulky even scored several tonight. I hope all those guys can come in and give us some offense. All of them. What a great win tonight !!!

VN Store

Back