BTO’s South Carolina postgame report

bleedingTNorange

1. As I thought about this game I saw a lot of possible scenarios and outcomes, but I have to admit, I did not see a 22 point win coming. Throw in the fact that Jordan Bowden DNP, and that we essentially got nothing from Kyle Alexander and I really wouldn’t have predicted that score, what a performance by our Vols on the road.

2. I can go a few of different ways with my first individual compliments, but I’m going Jordan Bone. Schofield and Williams ended up with nice nights (more on that in a minute), but from the opening tip Jordan Bone was really engaged and just absolutely dominate with his speed. He was able to get into the lane anytime that he wanted to and if guys finished a little better he would’ve had at least 12+ assists tonight, he was absolutely amazing out there. Finished with 19pts 9ast 5rbds, as Tennessee continues their run this season he’s going to get more and more national attention, it has already increased but as more people watch Tennessee they’re going to quickly realize Jordan Bone is one of the best PG’s in the country.

3. Grant gives you 23&9 and Admiral gives you 24&9, both guys had very good games and while I don’t think we got a friendly whistle at all those 2 played through the physicality and were very effective. Credit to admiral for not sitting on the perimeter, yes he took some 3 balls but he also got inside as well and didn’t become one dimensional...those outside shots will absolutely start falling again, but even if they don’t tonight shows he can score multiple ways.

4. That might have been our best offensive showing of the year, we routinely got what we wanted and for the most part we took the shots that our guys hit at a high rate. I haven’t seen the final numbers but if that isn’t our best offensive showing of the year it will be very close, and we actually missed more free throws than we typically do (I’m looking at you Walker). Defensively it was about an average showing for us, Silva lived at the free throw line and it sure looked like SC was getting a favorable whistle in the post, but for the most part our defense was good.

5. I always try to find a negative, on the team front that was a really good all around effort, we outrebounded someone so that’s great...I mentioned free throws above but if you remove Walker’s free throws we shoot 75% and that looks a lot better. So I’m gonna look individually, Kyle Alexander has got to do better than that, he fouled out in 12 minutes last game and tonight he fouled out in 10 minutes, that is absolutely humiliating. Point blank there’s a drop off from Alexander to Fulk or Walker, this team is at its best when Kyle can give us 25-30 minutes, he’s a senior and has to play better than that.

6. Alright, weeks ago I mentioned was it possible to make it to Rupp sitting at 23-1? Tonight’s game was one of the tougher ones on paper and the Vols rolled, now they go to A&M on Saturday before coming home for what should be 3 sold out games against 3 teams they’ve already beaten on the road. Can the Vols do it? Get to 23-1(11-0) before they head to Lexington to face a Kentucky team that very well could be Top 5 or better come that time? Talk about national spotlight, what an atmosphere that will be and opportunity, it’s fun to look ahead and as fans we can do that, but still 4 more to go!

GBO!!!

Nice write up!!

Great game tonight on what could have been a trap game!!

Also, Kentuck will foul Williams 87 Times and the dam refs will call 3 fouls?!?! JMO!

QIua.gif

Last edited:
Really thought this would be a tough one to win. Looks like they brought their a game for a step up in competition.

I rarely mention it and chalk it up to rooting bias, but we know that GW draws a ton of fouls each game, yet tonight he didn’t get hardly any calls and seemingly anytime anyone got near Silva there was a call. In their defense if they didn’t call it that way we may have won by 30, so maybe they were trying to keep it competitive.

I rarely mention it and chalk it up to rooting bias, but we know that GW draws a ton of fouls each game, yet tonight he didn’t get hardly any calls and seemingly anytime anyone got near Silva there was a call. In their defense if they didn’t call it that way we may have won by 30, so maybe they were trying to keep it competitive.
GW go whacked on nearly every shot he took.

The great thing about this team is that 3/5 of our top offensive guys (Williams, Admiral, Bone, Turner, Bowden) are going to have a good night and put up 15+

It rotates every game, but it seems we have good depth to get thing. Add id Alexander's defense and good bench minutes and we are hard to stop. We are so diversified that it takes everyone falling apart to beat us.

Per Judd:
In 3.5 years Shows has blown his whistle 288 times reffing TN games. 184 against TN and 104 in TN's favor. 64% negative bias.

Was not just him.... There were a couple of bad calls on us, Alexanders last the worst one, one of Fulky was really suspect too, but it was the the 132 no calls on their defense that quantified how one sided the game was called. For sure we should have had a bunch of and 1 opportunities and a few more possessions on some misses. Just so obvious....

Getting nothing out of KA at this stage is inexcusable. He should be close to a double-double guy every game.

It stinks, but tonight just wasn't his night..It seemed to me that as soon as he stepped on the court he got a foul. Couldn't stay on the court.

Reactions: tbones0711
USCjr fans made themselves look stupid hassling the refs. Game called pretty heavily in their favor and still complaining. Nice to see Walker and Full mostly do what was needed with Kyle in foul trouble.

Happy to see JJ get meaningful mins...should help his confidence. I feel better about our tourney chances if they can at a minimum play like that. Bone is a stud and Lamontes speed and attacking is also impressive.

We were so close to having 3 players finish with a double double. That’s insane.

I knew this already, but this was the game that solidified it to me that Bone is an NBA player.

Some of these foul calls on Kyle have been weak. I don’t want to call them bad calls, but it’s stuff that goes uncalled a lot. I’m a bit worried that all these fouls will have a subconscious effect on him and he plays tentative. Hope not though. I want him to stay aggressive.

Was not just him.... There were a couple of bad calls on us, Alexanders last the worst one, one of Fulky was really suspect too, but it was the the 132 no calls on their defense that quantified how one sided the game was called. For sure we should have had a bunch of and 1 opportunities and a few more possessions on some misses. Just so obvious....

Tonight, iirc, he scored Shows 13 against TN and 9 in favor of TN. First half he was very biased against TN with his whistle. 9-4 against TN. 2nd half actually 5-4 in TN's favor. Almost every TN game he's called his totals have favored the opponent.

He also cited how frequently he calls fouls on Grant.

Lots of missed calls as well.

VN Store

Back