BTO’s Missouri Postgame Report

1. It’s time to take this team seriously...Colorado was solid, Cincinnati had some name notoriety, but tonight was a Top 15 matchup and our Vols first road game, we whooped ass, on both sides of the court. Fair to say that this team is playing really well, which is a little surprising given the time missed, if that means they’ve got room to improve....watch out.

2. This defense is ELITE, Missouri is not an offensive juggernaut, but they came into the game possessing a pretty quality offense, Tennessee held them to their worst offensive efficiency outing of the season at 0.779ppp, this is a team that has played Illinois and Oregon, and that is with Missouri matching a season high in FTA. That’s 7 opponents in a row held below 1ppp, that is a streak only matched by the 2019 Texas Tech team that made the national championship.

3. As much talk as there is about our defense, and rightfully so, our offense is starting to click...we turned it over a little more than normal and shot horribly from the line (yet still won by 20), however we once again were over 1+ppp, which marks 5th game in a row, never matched that streak last season. We only took 7 three pointers, made 5 of them, this team gets quality shots and lives in that 4-10 foot range, a weakness in Missouri’s defense, we are then alive all night long in the mid range.

4. I thought PG play in general struggled, Vescovi did some but so did everyone else given a chance, that’s kind of CCM’s style though...he pushes teams out and plays physical, makes it hard to run your stuff, we won’t run into a ton of that. Even though that was the case Vescovi still threw up a team high 15pts, James and Springer also had really nice games...Springer’s ability to play inside 10’ with such strength continues to impress me.

5. That game showed why Yves Pons will make money, I’m not sure where his offense ends up, but he’s an absolute menace defensively and he might be better this year than last year. He looks a step quicker to me against guards and he draws charges, against bigger guys or trailing he blocks shots, he’s also hitting the boards a little harder too and pulled down 6 rebounds tonight. He seemingly found his mid range game tonight and even if that’s all he gives it’s more than enough.

6. With Wisconsin and Houston losing and Villanova on postponement, a win Saturday and you very well could see these Vols climb up to #4, worst case it seems like #5...obviously have to take care of Bama who will bomb away from 3, so you hope they aren’t on, but with the win tonight on the road Tennessee has really put themselves out in front of the SEC and into the national spotlight.

GBO!!!

The only point I want to address is I was hoping going into the year we would see Pons extend his offensive range a bit more to help with his pro prospects. We had heard about it. I will say he is taking it to the hoop more which is promising. I liked the ISO's last night.

No mention of John Fulkerson and his weak hand? I genuinely thought we lost him when we went down.. Fulkerson isn’t being nearly as dominant this year, slightly due to use having so many different players that can attack!

But if we get a 100% Fulkerson.. we’ll be even better

I think it is a positive that CRB doesn’t have to rely too heavily on Fulk for points. We have more options on offense this year. John still hustled and outplayed MIZZOU’s big man last night.

I think it is a positive that CRB doesn’t have to rely too heavily on Fulk for points. We have more options on offense this year. John still hustled and outplayed MIZZOU’s big man last night.

One thing looks to be certain is everytime Fulkey plays UK it has been like a bull seeing red. I expect him to play aggressive offensively that game.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
Alabama and Arkansas will be tougher tests for this squad and this team is scary on the offensive end and special defensively.

On speaking about the players beyond the top 7 :
I think ORN is way ahead of Anosike and needs more minutes
Anosike seems to be a little on the slow or awkward side, doesn't seem to have the rebounding timing of Pons or Orn
I feel badly for Plav. He just doesn't seem to elevate on rebounding and has no idea when he has the open dunk. One possession he had the ball wide open under the basket and passed it.
Pember and Gaines really need to get in the weight room and add 20 pounds of muscle.

I know this sounds all negative, but I'm just playing devil's advocate.
We have the best team UT has had since Ernie/Bernie. Minimum should be EE this year. Gonna be hard to dislodge Gonzaga, Kansas, and Baylor.
You seriously don’t think Medenwald has had access to Pember and Gaines?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
So is he hurt or not? Or was he hurt and it’s unclear the degree to which he’s recovered? Maybe was hurt, is healthy now, but being hurt put him behind?

I know nothing, just trying to understand the situation.

So is he hurt or not? Or was he hurt and it’s unclear the degree to which he’s recovered? Maybe was hurt, is healthy now, but being hurt put him behind?

I would think the truth is somewhere in the middle. Official members of the program have said that Walker was injured and sitting out. Barnes could see that he is too much of a project to play any meaningful minutes and isn’t allocating him any right now. If I’m following BTO’s line of thought, Barnes is punishing Walker.

Saw him dunking in one of the pre game warmup videos so im not sure

Fulky looked weak against MO's big last night, forced a couple of jump-hooks that fell short and looked awkward at times. Disappointed he didn't hit the weights in the offseason and develop a 3pt shot. Maybe it's early, but doesn't seem to be as effective.

Anosike's job is to take the legs out the opposing bigs and wear them down. He aggressively boxes out every rebound opportunity-- that's why he's getting so many minutes over ON.

Reactions: orangemadam
... My other concern is that Anosike was way overmatched by the Missouri bigs. It's still early, but I'm beginning to wonder if Anosike will be able to contribute like we hoped. He seemed offensively helpless tonight.

True to all of the above.
However, I think he is a year away. If he came with the intention of 1 and on to the NBA .... he made a mistake. But, if he came to develop and get be better ... we will see him stay and next year he will be fully ready.

I am not bailing on him this year ... but, he looks a little bit intimidated and he is being out muscled ... which slightly surprises me ... then again, he was playing against lessor talent last year.
Last year, he was the best player on the floor in most of the games. This year he isn't in the top 7 on his own team. That is an emotional setback for him. Going from star to being a sub ... can work against you.
He is not 'flowing.' Looks like he is pressing and tight. He does not look relaxed and comfortable yet.
Let's give him some more time to develop.

I’m disappointed in Anosike. I thought he’d be more athletic. I didn’t realize his sister has a higher vertical than he does. I think losing some weight would help him.

I feel like Springer came in and went straight to work on offense. So I think he and Keon both have a scorers mentality but both are surprisingly mature on offense and don't force bad shots.

To me the only small bump tonight was a stretch in the first half where we tried like crazy to get shots out of Fulky in the post and the offense bogged. Missouri is a big team and it wasn't going to be easy to work down there for him. However when he pulled his man out, Springer was making the net sing from 4-8 feet out.
You could tell the Missouri big men were told not to jump when guarding fulkerson. They stayed down on his fakes and it made life hard for him.

Reactions: VolArmy74
You said that Walker “is not injured”. Are you doubling down again?

I’d bet that hal most teams have half their roster “rehabbing” late in the season.
Walker could’ve played last night, that’s what I’m saying. But it’s fine, injured guys commonly participate in warmups in full uniform and are throwing down dunks SMH

Embrace the closest thing to a respectable football season. Vescovi qb, Pons lb, Springer rb, Anosike OL, Fulky DL, Keon WR, Josiah TE

Reactions: Sportslady
Fulky looked weak against MO's big last night, forced a couple of jump-hooks that fell short and looked awkward at times. Disappointed he didn't hit the weights in the offseason and develop a 3pt shot. Maybe it's early, but doesn't seem to be as effective.

Anosike's job is to take the legs out the opposing bigs and wear them down. He aggressively boxes out every rebound opportunity-- that's why he's getting so many minutes over ON.
I think Fulk did hit the weights and then got hit by COVID

VN Store

Back