BTO’s Missouri postgame report

Something was up between those two teams, or maybe it was a carry-over from last year's loss to them - but we defended that inbounds pass with 2.2 seconds remaining like it was a tie game.
This team plays 40 minutes. None of those 6-8 minute lulls like they had last year or especially in 2017. They are so dialed in. Greatest UT BB team ever to this point

1. Any road win in league play is nice, I said pregame I didn’t care what kind of fashion it was in, I would take a W...a 24 point win was definitely not what I was expecting that’s for sure. Missouri’s physicality I think surprised Tennessee early on and the refs made some questionable calls, Tennessee adjusted and from there it was over. Missouri led 27-18, Tennessee finished the game 69-36 after that point.

2. We essentially got nothing from our big 2 in the first half, really not much all game, but definitely nothing in the 1st half...if you told folks that pregame no way you think we are up 11 at the half, but that just goes to show the depth this team has and how well they’re executing offensively right now and not just with Schofield and Williams.

3. Which leads me to my next point...Jordan Bone, Jordan Bowden and Kyle Alexander are all playing at an extremely high level. Bone 17pts 5rbd 5ast 0to, Bowden 20pts off the bench without a single 3 ball, and Kyle follows up his best game as a Vol win an even better effort 14pts 17rbd 3blks and he’s flashed more aggression and simply put a mean side the past few games he previously lacked. All 3 of these guys are playing phenomenal, Bone is starting to get the national recognition now, Bowden getting praise in his role, and Alexander is likely to start seeing his name on mock drafts if he continues this level of play.

4. I was gonna include Lamonte Turner in the above but think he’s deserving of his own point tonight...nothing flashy but he gave us guard depth, played good defense and knocked down 3-4 from deep which is MAYBE the one area you could point to as a weakness on this team. We don’t need him to do much, Bone is going to find him and the attention our bigs are drawing he’s gonna get looks, keep knocking them down and that’s all he’s gotta bring offensively, so nice to see him out there though.

5. Some quick advanced numbers...offensively Tennessee puts up 1.28ppp tonight, the offense got off to a slow start but yet we put up our 3rd best offensive efficiency rating of the season tonight against a “defensive” team. Defensively we gave up 0.93ppp, that’s about average for us as a team...we definitely could’ve been better, especially the first 10 minutes, but were good the last 30.

6. The SEC screwed us a bit giving Missouri 9 days off and making Tennessee travel after a Saturday conference game, but we got the W so whatever...now Tennessee goes back home with an extra days rest to travel to Gainesville and play Florida. Again another road conference game and you can never take those for granted, it will certainly be a hostile environment and Florida has shown flashes of a team that can be very good, question is which team shows up for them. To me a win Saturday feels like it would be huge, we then would be home for 6/9 upcoming games and a chance to really go on a big winning streak would be very possible, but gotta get that W Saturday.

GBO!!!
Bowden has taken his game to another level. So decisive going to the hole. His defense has also been good.

Amazing to win on the road by 24 and Grant have his worst game of the year.

This team plays 40 minutes. None of those 6-8 minute lulls like they had last year or especially in 2017. They are so dialed in. Greatest UT BB team ever to this point
Also getting spirited play from the bench.

Kyle is really learning to play off of Grant’s attention. I kept saying this guy was an easy basket waiting to happen with all the doubles Grant draws. He also played great straight up last night. Amazing rebounding night.

Even when down I never saw this team flinch.

Reactions: OneVolNation
... a chance to really go on a big winning streak would be very possible, but gotta get that W Saturday.

GBO!!!

Please adjust your mentality. Winning should not be a "streak" with this team playing to capability. It is kind of an insult. They should win every game.

GW took himself out of the game from the get go when he was obviously fouled on an early in bounds play by MO. Their starting guard shoved him out of bounds to get the ball in and GW picked up his first foul shortly thereafter with the trip, while he was complaining. He could not let it go for a long stretch after it happened and it took him out of his game.

We need to remember Pons is still one of the younger players, and quite raw. There will be ups and downs, which will be on display for everyone to see. As good as Barnes is at player development he doesn’t have a magic wand to make it happen immediately.

He’ll be alright and will work through it because he’s part of a team that’s got his back.
He is playing extremely hard.....just not scoring

Loved Fulkerson last night with that move from outside the perimeter to the dunk or close layup (I forget which). We need him to continue to shine.

Also need Walker to step up some. He made his presence known last night but really didn't deliver as I'd hoped. I wish he'd gotten more PT in this physical game.

Great to see Lamonte out there. With Bone and Bowden tearing it up he doesn't have to be our best player but I don't want to lose intensity when he comes in during the big games. Was great to see him play and drain the three-ball a few times. He looks ready to me. His shot looks good. Looks natural. Looks pain-free.

What was up with the technical? I can understand Barnes being irritated by that call. I just wonder if he deserved to be T-d up or if it was just thin-skinned officials. It looked like if a foul were called on that play, it would have been on MO, not on Tennessee (was it Schofield?)

Great game. Loved seeing how they handled being down by 9.

And I still like Cuonzo Martin and I still pronounce it Kwon-Zo. If he wants to be Kon-Zo, he should drop the U.

I worry about the situation with Lamonte. If he truly is back, which 75% 3pt shooting suggests he is - that seems kind of unfair to the competitive balance of the league. It's possible conference attendance and tv ratings could lag.

Not losing sleep over it yet, but you don't want this thing to get out of hand.

I worry about the situation with Lamonte. If he truly is back, which 75% 3pt shooting suggests he is - that seems kind of unfair to the competitive balance of the league. It's possible conference attendance and tv ratings could lag.

Not losing sleep over it yet, but you don't want this thing to get out of hand.

Say WHAT !!!!!!!!!!!! Need and interpretation of this

Bone has a look of confidence I have not seen on a UT team in a long time.
Jimmy Dykes made a good point last night. For the first time in his career, Bone hasn’t had to look over his shoulder due to Turner’s injury. He has been able to relax and play his game. There is certainly an element of improvement to his physical game as well, especially his improved ability to finish at the rim, but the confidence shows above all.

Reactions: calban
Jimmy Dykes made a good point last night. For the first time in his career, Bone hasn’t had to look over his shoulder due to Turner’s injury. He has been able to relax and play his game. There is certainly an element of improvement to his physical game as well, especially his improved ability to finish at the rim, but the confidence shows above all.

Right now, Bone is the motor. This is why Barnes coached him so hard since he arrived. Unreal ceiling. Seems to improve every game.

GW took himself out of the game from the get go when he was obviously fouled on an early in bounds play by MO. Their starting guard shoved him out of bounds to get the ball in and GW picked up his first foul shortly thereafter with the trip, while he was complaining. He could not let it go for a long stretch after it happened and it took him out of his game.
He needs to shut his mouth. He is constantly complaining to the refs. He’s literally jawing with the refs, not paying attention, and runs over the Missouri player.

Might not matter in a game where you are clearly superior but will against better teams.

Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism
The game before last I saw a ref call what looked to me like a ghost foul on him, but he just raised his hand and kept playing.
I remember thinking that was a good look and proud of his and everyone on this team's maturity. They've all grown before our eyes.
They realize this present season is history in the making and it is theirs for the taking. They're doing it! What a great team. It's very special to watch them play to their potential as a team! They've been doing it. I'm enjoying every game no matter who they play. It will be amazing to see them respond when they play a Duke or Michigan type team because I believe this team knows they can beat anyone in the country and is prepared to prove it. Not that it matters, but I can't imagine maintaining results like they've been producing (especially the last few games even more than all year) and not recognized as the #1 team in the nation. I think a lot of the analysts realize that's where the pace is headed. I used to think there can be a benefit to not being "the hunted," but this team is playing so well, they are prepared to accept that challenge and conquer it. This is the best Vols team I've ever seen play. There's a lot more orange being worn everywhere now because all over the country, people are noticing. That one stat someone shared earlier is amazing. The first power conference team to win by such a high margin in 20 years. Not just the first Tennessee team, but first power conference team period. The squad keeps playing aggressively and complete games as they have, they'll be due at least as much media coverage as Zion Williamson and Duke if not more, because they're earning it. Great report, as usual, BTO.

Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism
Love the OP's game recaps. I'm certain Mizzou fans would have thought their chances of a home win better if they knew before the game Grant Williams would score 4 points. Instead the Vols gave them a 24 point beat down. I agree that you cannot take any road wins for granted. We're making the drive from our FL home down I-75 to see Saturday's game with the Gators. Really psyched to see the Vols who are on top of their game with another road win.

Took my two kids to the game last night in Columbia. We were among the few Vols fans in attendance. Mizzou fans were very friendly and welcoming. Had a great time wearing our orange, cheering for the Vols, and beating Mizzou. Just wish we could start doing that in football too.

VN Store

Back