BTO’s Missouri postgame report

You can say Admiral and Williams had off nights to a degree. But what makes them special is their ability to create plays for another when not scoring themselves. Their unselfish play and knowing they have capable teammates around them is a big reason for this team's success

You can say Admiral and Williams had off nights to a degree. But what makes them special is their ability to create plays for another when not scoring themselves. Their unselfish play and knowing they have capable teammates around them is a big reason for this team's success
They are great team players and they don't pout and let it impact their defense when their shots aren't falling.

Didn’t admiral still have 16 and 9? Grant definitely didn’t have a great night, but Admiral’s second half was plenty good. That stretch in the first half where they were both off the floor was very impressive though

Grant played great aggressive D. Tennessee plays the best team ball in the country.

I'd still much rather play this team than a healthy 2008 squad. This team plays well together and is supremely good. That team played well together and had all time great talent on top of guys who were just as tough as Admiral or Williams (and anyone who thinks otherwise can go get a few chemo treatments and see how they feel.)

I've said it repeatedly and people don't like the reality of it, but until this team gets beyond an elite eight it really doesn't matter, and its likely nothing we do will ever top that #1 vs #2 game with Memphis either, but thats not their fault as it requires an elite opponent as well. Gonzaga and Kansas both have been good. That Memphis squad was all time good.

Oh cool, you’re taking @govols105 ‘s place.

What an idiotic post.

Can't remember how far into game barnes got T'ed up but seems like that put some fire into the team and things started going our way... I remember being shocked when it happened thinking I can't remember if ever seeing him get T'ed up.

Reactions: 1985Vols
Il say right off that I have no crystal ball but two years ago I said Kyle was going to be a huge impact for us. Finally I am correct about something. I love me some Kyle, he reminds me of a fart... Silent but Violent

Tough test. Cuonzo teams always play hard. We don't win this game a year ago in my opinion. The tried and true nature of this team definitely shows. With Bowden, Bone, Alexander, etc. playing at such a high level will open up better opportunities for PB&J in future games. GBO!!!
We don't won this game a year ago is not an opinion. It's a fact.

Reactions: Bassplayer30074
I'd still much rather play this team than a healthy 2008 squad. This team plays well together and is supremely good. That team played well together and had all time great talent on top of guys who were just as tough as Admiral or Williams (and anyone who thinks otherwise can go get a few chemo treatments and see how they feel.)

I've said it repeatedly and people don't like the reality of it, but until this team gets beyond an elite eight it really doesn't matter, and its likely nothing we do will ever top that #1 vs #2 game with Memphis either, but thats not their fault as it requires an elite opponent as well. Gonzaga and Kansas both have been good. That Memphis squad was all time good.
The legion of the miserable doesn't take leave when times are good... they can always be better or they were better in yesteryear.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Really surprised by Williams’ struggles.But of course others stepped up including Turner, in signature fashion. Fulky logger productive minutes and I expected Bowden to have another good game . Schofield did what senior leaders do. Far from his best game but he still worked hard and helped to get it done.

Two games isn’t a trend, but it’s potentially the beginning of a turning point for Alexander and potentially this team. He is a major reason for our margin of victory the last two games. MVP tonight for sure

Can Bone get drafted? He looks like an NBA talent...

A much bigger test in Gainesville this weekend. Certainly the biggest test in the first half of SEC play and important for an SEC title.

Really surprised by Williams’ struggles.But of course others stepped up including Turner, in signature fashion. Fulky logger productive minutes and I expected Bowden to have another good game . Schofield did what senior leaders do. Far from his best game but he still worked hard and helped to get it done.

Two games isn’t a trend, but it’s potentially the beginning of a turning point for Alexander and potentially this team. He is a major reason for our margin of victory the last two games. MVP tonight for sure

Can Bone get drafted? He looks like an NBA talent...

A much bigger test in Gainesville this weekend. Certainly the biggest test in the first half of SEC play and important for an SEC title.

Bone has a look of confidence I have not seen on a UT team in a long time.

Plenty of fun watching this team. Go Vols! Keep improving and see what goals you can achieve. We will enjoy watching every second. I need to find some tickets before the season is over.

Last edited:
Agree, I loved those teams, lots of fun raining 3s and a bunch of great wins. However, they could get bogged down in grind out games, especially in tournaments.

This team doesn’t have any significant weakness. I suspect we will do better in the post season tourneys.
Agreed...those 3pt shot at times were breathtaking. Wayne Chism--still one of my favorite Vols. Pearl's time was a success but like you said--this team is built different than anything I've seen in 30 yrs watching. You're right about tourneys--we proved it last year and we're a better team now.

I'm late with my post but just want to say
1. Wow
2. If you look at many of my post in the BB forum you will see how I have pleaded that Alexander needed to be the man. Be strong and take it to the basket.
I have pleaded that Bone, and Bowden to shoot and take their shots.
3. I wasn't able watch the game but I watched the score and stats on my phone. I was in awe as I watched the stats for Bone and Bowden light it up and then Alexander and those rebounds. I think Alexander had 11 in the 1st half alone. Now that is what I am talking about.
4. You have to have others to step up and that is what makes champions. This is what I was hoping for from Fulky, JJ, and Walker......still hoping...hoping with what they saw happen tonight lights their fire.
5. This game went much differently than what I had suspected as you all know. I had it down as a possible loss but when Wiliams and the Admiral wasn't on their games their team mates took charge.
6. This was a good day for Tennessee basketball fans, for the team and for the coaching staff..........congratulations on a job well done

Reactions: OneVolNation
Sorry guys but just watched the HIGHTLIGHTS of the game...again Wow as I watched Bone fly up the court with the ball. I mean flew. Bowden brought his A game tonight. This is what we needed Bowden to do. Great to see Turner begin to get his rhythm back. Alexander playing strong.

But what really stood out to me was Bowden, Bowden, Mr. Bowden. What a game by him. Shooting, taking the ball to the basket. It was a thing of beauty. Fulky shows some signs....
Those Missouri boys had some quicks about them but our D really stood out from what I saw........and again it is simply amazing how fast Bone is on the court. He raced up court and flew by everyone on his way.

Reactions: OneVolNation

There are some truths to what you are saying, but I believe the 2019 team has a better offense than the 2008 team. I was never a fan of the Bruce Pearl flex offense, as it seemed most of our possessions ended in taking contested 3 point shots. True, it often work, but we also had several droughts (see the Kentucky game at Rupp that year, as well as the tournament games, when our team just seemed to sort of fizzle out). Bruce Pearl's teams were, however, always excellent at forcing turnovers and getting quick points off those turnovers. The full-court game with Pearl was 2nd to none, no doubt about that (except transition offense was often out of control with Ramar Smith and JuJaun Smith getting lots of turnovers during fastbreaks). I've only seen about 5 games this season (I don't have cable, been watching replays on youtube), and it seems our team's weakness this year is long range defense. Louisville made lots of 3's against us, so did Memphis, and even Tenn Tech did for a stretch at the end of the 1st half. But everything else I've seen from the 2019 team - halfcourt offense, post defense, transition passing, is superior to the 2008 team. Of course, the season is only half over. We'll have to see how the rest of the SEC schedule goes, and of course the tournament, to hold off judging which team is better.

6. Which team will show up? I am not sure we know how many teams they have. You can bet Williams will get his points next time out. If UF does not get them they could make a long run.
We own them in bball kinda like they own us in football.

Il say right off that I have no crystal ball but two years ago I said Kyle was going to be a huge impact for us. Finally I am correct about something. I love me some Kyle, he reminds me of a fart... Silent but Violent
This may be the oddest but funniest analogy I've seen. Thanks for making me laugh this morning!

Reactions: chuckb1448
Well done BTO, great write up as usual.

Funny thing, anybody catch Schofield leaving Bowden hanging after the free throw? Bowden slapped his own hand and then gave Admiral hell for it. It just looks like these guys are having fun
I noticed. Cracked me up!

VN Store

Back