BTO’s Kentucky SECT edition postgame report

Good article, fair & accurate. Calipari's statement if humorous & telling:
Six games in two years. They’re all wars. I don’t know why I recommended that Rick take this job. If I’d have known he was doing this to us, I would have said, stay at Texas, don’t even come up here.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Do t know what’s causing it, but our transition defense is horrible. Have to do better today or AU will hit 10 3s when they run.

The pure joy of the win has everyone forgetting about an inexcusable mistake by Barnes. How on earth does he not get Kyle out of the game after his 4th?
Meant to rewatch that sequence because Dickie V kept mentioning it, but iirc they sent someone in for him and there wasn’t a dead ball to get them in before KA’s next foul occurred...at that point Barnes had used I believe all but 1 or maybe 2 timeouts and I’m sure didn’t want to waste another on a substitution with 10 minutes remaining.

Edit: just rewatched...nobody was at the scorers table, Lanier was up talking to a confused Barnes and I’m sure trying to explain. As Dickie V said an assistant is responsible for keeping track of fouls, not the HC, if a guy needs to be pulled an assistant is typically responsible for that which is why you saw Lanier explaining to Barnes.

Meant to rewatch that sequence because Dickie V kept mentioning it, but iirc Barnes sent someone in for him and there wasn’t a dead ball to get them in before KA’s next foul occurred...at that point Barnes had used I believe all but 1 or maybe 2 timeouts and I’m sure didn’t want to waste another on a substitution with 10 minutes remaining.

That all may be true but the dead ball of his 4th foul was the time to run a player to scores table to check in. Happens that way all the time

That all may be true but the dead ball of his 4th foul was the time to run a player to scores table to check in. Happens that way all the time
Check my edit

Edit: just rewatched...nobody was at the scorers table, Lanier was up talking to a confused Barnes and I’m sure trying to explain. As Dickie V said an assistant is responsible for keeping track of fouls, not the HC, if a guy needs to be pulled an assistant is typically responsible for that which is why you saw Lanier explaining to Barnes.

Check my edit

Yea that communication has to be corrected

Good article, fair & accurate. Calipari's statement if humorous & telling:
Six games in two years. They’re all wars. I don’t know why I recommended that Rick take this job. If I’d have known he was doing this to us, I would have said, stay at Texas, don’t even come up here.
At least Calipari admitted Tennessee was kicking Kentucky's arses:cool:

We definitely have several clutch players, but I was screaming to get the ball to Grant in the last 5 minutes. He has something about him that you just can't teach or coach. It's that intangible that all great players have. They just win. Man I love this group!!!

We definitely have several clutch players, but I was screaming to get the ball to Grant in the last 5 minutes. He has something about him that you just can't teach or coach. It's that intangible that all great players have. They just win. Man I love this group!!!
I love this team and they have a chemistry that I've never seen with any Tennessee men's basketball team:cool:

Has that happened in any of our other 34 games this year?
I don't recall the game but I do
Remember once this season grant or schofoeld got their 2nd foul and wasn't immediately taken out. It wasn't until the next dead ball

Imo the easy soliton is one assistant has the power and responsibility to remove any player that gets their 2nd foul before half and their 4th foul in the second half.

That way if Barnes is distracted this doesn't happen again

I don't recall the game but I do
Remember once this season grant or schofoeld got their 2nd foul and wasn't immediately taken out. It wasn't until the next dead ball

Imo the easy soliton is one assistant has the power and responsibility to remove any player that gets their 2nd foul before half and their 4th foul in the second half.

That way if Barnes is distracted this doesn't happen again
You obviously haven’t been paying attention then, his assistants (at least Lanier) have 100% ability to make substitution and often do, most come from him and not Barnes.

That is why Barnes immediately went to Lanier who was giving whatever the explanation was, it was his responsibility.

You obviously haven’t been paying attention then, his assistants (at least Lanier) have 100% ability to make substitution and often do, most come from him and not Barnes.

That is why Barnes immediately went to Lanier who was giving whatever the explanation was, it was his responsibility.

Ok so Lanier screwed up. That can't happen going forward

Sorry,but I have to put Kyle's 5th foul on Kyle. He's a senior and should know by now how to play when he's in foul trouble. If they're suddenly calling ticky tacks then stop committing ticky tacks. If nothing else ask what they're calling on ya. then stop doing it.

Sorry,but I have to put Kyle's 5th foul on Kyle. He's a senior and should know by now how to play when he's in foul trouble. If they're suddenly calling ticky tacks then stop committing ticky tacks. If nothing else ask what they're calling on ya. then stop doing it.

Sure Kyle has to be smarter

The thing is... They weren’t calling it like that in the first half. They were swallowing their whistle and letting the teams play early (which I’m a fan of btw). Then came out and hit him with 2 garbage touch fouls in the first minute of the 2nd half.

Reactions: A-RodWiLks
I just rewatched this and neither of Kyle's fouls were even close to being legit. In fact, Travis clearly fouls Kyle when he knocks him to the ground. Both of these came just moments after Cal was screaming at Shows... these were blatant 'coach pleasers'

Reactions: A-RodWiLks
I don’t recall his 1st foul in the first half but fouls 2-5 were all questionable at best and down right criminal at worst.

This just in: Kyle Alexander already has 2 fouls in tomorrow's game.

In the first half when the refs weren’t calling anything and TN went up by five, I half-jokingly texted my buddy “TN up by 5. Time to start calling fouls on Alexander.” ... the he or one not 1min after I hit send.

VN Store

Back