BTO’s Kentucky SECT edition postgame report

bleedingTNorange

1. Let’s f*****g go baby, what a damn game...that was a heavy weight battle featuring 2 really good teams, when we got down 9 with about 2 and a half minutes left I thought that game was over, kudos to our guys for sticking to it and finding a way to pull this one out, it didn’t look good late.

2. I am so freaking happy for Lamonte Turner, I’m not going to lie and in the split second admiral kicked to him I didn’t have much hope, but that thing was pure and it couldn’t have happened to a more deserving kid. Turner has found a way to contribute the last couple of games when his shot still hasn’t been falling, he has played within the offense and hasn’t forced things, I was so happy for him. Hopefully that shot will get him going moving forward.

3. Neither defense was very good, both teams ran really good stuff and got a lot of good looks near the rim and in the midrange game, but both teams matched each other back and forth offensively. That’s probably mostly a result of the 2 teams being so familiar with each other and this being the 3rd time they’ve met in the past month.

4. I don’t know what Kyle Alexander has done to the refs or which ref wife he screwed but I have never seen a guy get more soft/ticky tack fouls than he has the last few weeks. He was phenomenal yesterday and I thought off to a nice start today, really hard for him to play consistently when he has no idea what is going to be called against him and what is allowed...really feel for the kid and hope he can get a stretch of favorable whistles to finish off his career.

5. I don’t know that today locked up a 1 seed, but it sure made it much more possible for us to accomplish, for the very first time in school history. We also get to play against Auburn tomorrow for a chance to win the SECT for the first time in 40 years, I’m not sure I’m going to be able to sleep tonight. I’m hopeful 4 games in 4 days will catch up to Auburn tomorrow and that a team that heavily relies on the 3 ball will have some tired legs, but it always seems to go against Tennessee in this tourney and obviously gotta see it to believe it, but if any group is going to get it done I definitely think this is the crew that can do it.

GBO!!!

That game was pure excitement until the refs got whistle happy, but overall ranks up there with the best TN games I've ever witnessed. Gonna be hard to come back down to earth and focus on Auby tomorrow, but I'm done doubting this team.

Pretty sure, BTO meant first time UT's a 1 seed

I'm playing that game the young 'uns play with replies. I see it a lot. Don't quite understand it but thought I'd give it a try. Guess I fooked up?

Reactions: karmazone
One guy we gotta really share some praise for is Fulkerson. He has done what we asked of him and more during the last two games in the SECT.

His lack of body control made me cringe at times during the regular season, but he seems to have turned a corner over the last two games.

Good defense, some blocks, a steal (I think), and some nice finishes at the rim.

Grant Williams was a force down the stretch and UT making 7 of 9 threes in the first half was a big factor in the win as was Derrick Walker getting that second foul on Washington and taking away a big part of Kentucky's offense in the first half.

It would be sweet to avenge last week's loss to Auburn and win the SEC Tournament in the process.

Kyle has 2 reach in fouls per game and no steals. I don't get it?

That was a huge win. It was a team win for sure but the game ball goes to Grant for loading this team on his back long enough for them to get back into the game. Put a huge check beside his POY!

I thought the comparison between UT players and coaches was perfect. UK crying to the refs on literally every play with a technical while Barnes remained cool and collected through all of those bad calls. UK players were barking and beating their chest after every score while the UT players just went about their business. The best team won.

Last edited:
Something that I noticed after. Look at Grant and JBowden’s +/-, despite being fourth and fifth respectively in minutes today. Impressive

Attachments

• 20BB922C-6429-48C9-8CFA-D5311CA7EEDE.png
    20BB922C-6429-48C9-8CFA-D5311CA7EEDE.png
    70.4 KB · Views: 160

Wow, Cal' s comments about expecting to shoot more free throws is very telling. I've said it before, UK players and fans don't know how to react to a game that is not heavily officiated in their favor.

Makes it more understandable that they are blaming the refs. In their minds, they WERE robbed because they have been spoiled by heavily biased officiating and can't handle it being called fairly for most of the game.

-I'll admit, I thought we were done down 8 with 2:58 to play. Shots just hadn't fallen for us, and we couldn't operate in the paint without getting fouled. Then it's like a light came on. And we got some unlikely buckets from the most unlikely people and Grant took over in the paint.

-Just like in the game at Rupp, the officials allowed the two teams to drub each other, and then completely changed the way the game was officiated in the 2nd half. There is just no excuse for that level of inconsistency in such a great game. The 5th foul on Alexander was especially embarrassing.

-Lamonte Turner has ice water coursing thru his veins. Kid didn't even flinch when his number was called. I had complained all game that we were getting beat by guys hitting 18-footers that had no business shooting them, and then the script was flipped with a William's 3 and a Turner 3, who hadn't hit a 3 vs UK all season (0 for 14). Couldnt be happier for that dude.

-Jordan Bone thrives against UK. 64 pts, 14 assists, 4 TOs in 3 games against then this year. He just loves playing against them.

-I have some concerns of us suffering a bit of a letdown tomorrow as this was such an emotional win and most people's defacto championship game. Bruce will use the disrespect factor, the undercard factor, etc. For all his flaws, he's a master motivator. We owe him one, though, and I feel like a team that relies on deep shooting having to play 4 days in a row will eventually develop tired legs.

-This is my favorite win in a long, long time. I was born in September of 1979. We last won the SECT in March 1979, so I've never seen it happen in my life. I really want to see it happen.

-I'll admit, I thought we were done down 8 with 2:58 to play. Shots just hadn't fallen for us, and we couldn't operate in the paint without getting fouled. Then it's like a light came on. And we got some unlikely buckets from the most unlikely people and Grant took over in the paint.

-Just like in the game at Rupp, the officials allowed the two teams to drub each other, and then completely changed the way the game was officiated in the 2nd half. There is just no excuse for that level of inconsistency in such a great game. The 5th foul on Alexander was especially embarrassing.

-Lamonte Turner has ice water coursing thru his veins. Kid didn't even flinch when his number was called. I had complained all game that we were getting beat by guys hitting 18-footers that had no business shooting them, and then the script was flipped with a William's 3 and a Turner 3, who hadn't hit a 3 vs UK all season (0 for 14). Couldnt be happier for that dude.

-Jordan Bone thrives against UK. 64 pts, 14 assists, 4 TOs in 3 games against then this year. He just loves playing against them.

-I have some concerns of us suffering a bit of a letdown tomorrow as this was such an emotional win and most people's defacto championship game. Bruce will use the disrespect factor, the undercard factor, etc. For all his flaws, he's a master motivator. We owe him one, though, and I feel like a team that relies on deep shooting having to play 4 days in a row will eventually develop tired legs.

-This is my favorite win in a long, long time. I was born in September of 1979. We last won the SECT in March 1979, so I've never seen it happen in my life. I really want to see it happen.

There with you. Born in January of 1980. Never seen it happen. I am really considering driving from Memphis with my 8 year old son tomorrow. I think we will see it happen.

VN Store

Back