BTO’s Gonzaga postgame report

bleedingTNorange

1. Pour a glass of your favorite whiskey, pop the champagne, whatever your preference may be enjoy it just a bit extra tonight...your Vols have beaten the #1 team in the country and once again have proven they belong in the conversation among the best teams in college basketball this season.

2. Admiral Schofield with one of the most memorable and enjoyable performances from a Vol in just about as long as I can remember given the stakes of this game. Even before his shot started falling in the 2nd half you saw him crashing the boards and the energy starting to show, whoever it was that started talking $h!t to him, Volnation thanks you! People questioned his ability to see and what happened to him, I said to relax, what a performance from The Admiral.

3. Grant Williams showed America what Volnation already has known, he’s one hell of a basketball player. Hachimura has gotten more pub and is a projected Top 10 pick but GW absolutely was the better player on that court today...16pts 12rbd 7ast, great effort from Williams today. He’s gotta avoid that 4th foul which obviously puts a 5th into question, but hard to fault anything he did today.

4. Jordan Bone continues his emergence, 36 minutes at PG against the #1 team in the country...5pts 9ast and just 3to’s, his shot wasn’t falling tonight but he got into the lane and for the most part took shots that Barnes is ok with him taking. I remember watching Perkins the last few years and thinking about how good of a PG he was, I watched Bone today and he matched Perkins every step of the way, by far one of the most improved players on this squad from last year.

5. That was arguably the best we have seen Tennessee’s defense play this season, Gonzaga hasn’t scored less than 81 points this year, Tennessee held them to 73 today...they average 53%fg on the year and Tennessee held them to 46%fg today, that is a great sign for this squad and a sign that the elite defense we saw from this team last year could be close to showing itself again, and with the way this offense is playing this year that’s a great mix.

6. 22 assists on 29 made field goals is absolutely nuts, this team is executing so well and efficiently on the offensive end. The crazier thing is that they only had 7 turnovers against the #1 team in the country, 3:1 ratio is going to win you a lot of games...with how well they’re executing on the offensive end if they take care of the ball like that and hit free throws at a good rate they are going to be an elite offensive team.

7. Hard for me to find much negatives in this one, but I’ll stick to the 2 that have been the common theme...rebounds and free throw shooting. Zags outrebound the Vols by 2 and they aren’t an overly big team, and Vols shot 60% from the line, that number needs to be up around 75% for me to be satisfied.

GBO!!!

Shout out to @zjcvols for not knocking the Admiral's 3-point shots. Sometimes his selection is suspect, but he should always have a green light.

Absolutely. He just was in a slump. He’s best when he’s on the perimeter.

Great effort. Bone played phenomenal defense on Perkins too. I thought the defensive game plan was excellent.

I’d ditch the zone for any sort of long stretch Not my thing and we could not rebound for **** out of it.

1. Pour a glass of your favorite whiskey, pop the champagne, whatever your preference may be enjoy it just a bit extra tonight...your Vols have beaten the #1 team in the country and once again have proven they belong in the conversation among the best teams in college basketball this season.

2. Admiral Schofield with one of the most memorable and enjoyable performances from a Vol in just about as long as I can remember given the stakes of this game. Even before his shot started falling in the 2nd half you saw him crashing the boards and the energy starting to show, whoever it was that started talking $h!t to him, Volnation thanks you! People questioned his ability to see and what happened to him, I said to relax, what a performance from The Admiral.

3. Grant Williams showed America what Volnation already has known, he’s one hell of a basketball player. Hachimura has gotten more pub and is a projected Top 10 pick but GW absolutely was the better player on that court today...16pts 12rbd 7ast, great effort from Williams today. He’s gotta avoid that 4th foul which obviously puts a 5th into question, but hard to fault anything he did today.

4. Jordan Bone continues his emergence, 36 minutes at PG against the #1 team in the country...5pts 9ast and just 3to’s, his shot wasn’t falling tonight but he got into the lane and for the most part took shots that Barnes is ok with him taking. I remember watching Perkins the last few years and thinking about how good of a PG he was, I watched Bone today and he matched Perkins every step of the way, by far one of the most improved players on this squad from last year.

5. That was arguably the best we have seen Tennessee’s defense play this season, Gonzaga hasn’t scored less than 81 points this year, Tennessee held them to 73 today...they average 53%fg on the year and Tennessee held them to 46%fg today, that is a great sign for this squad and a sign that the elite defense we saw from this team last year could be close to showing itself again, and with the way this offense is playing this year that’s a great mix.

6. 22 assists on 29 made field goals is absolutely nuts, this team is executing so well and efficiently on the offensive end. The crazier thing is that they only had 7 turnovers against the #1 team in the country, 3:1 ratio is going to win you a lot of games...with how well they’re executing on the offensive end if they take care of the ball like that and hit free throws at a good rate they are going to be an elite offensive team.

7. Hard for me to find much negatives in this one, but I’ll stick to the 2 that have been the common theme...rebounds and free throw shooting. Zags outrebound the Vols by 2 and they aren’t an overly big team, and Vols shot 60% from the line, that number needs to be up around 75% for me to be satisfied.

GBO!!!

One stat that sticks out to me is 57,000 posts and only 7,000 likes. Now that's an insane 7:1 ratio right there.

Just fooling around, great win by our Vols today. Looking forward to the rest of the season!

Reactions: Volitourt
Well, I'm drinking chocolate milk on the rocks as I read this. I thought we did just fine on the boars; a little unlucky on some of those. I can't believe Fulk. missed three FT's at one trip.

As always, very much appreciate your recaps BTO. I have only been able to watch a few minutes this season and only saw the last couple of minutes of the first half today, so I really enjoy reading these.

Looking forward to January when I will have time to watch.

Beat Tiger High!

Reactions: RollerVol
Super tough team, mentally and physically, lots of fun to watch.
giphy.gif

Absolutely. He just was in a slump. He’s best when he’s on the perimeter.

Great effort. Bone played phenomenal defense on Perkins too. I thought the defensive game plan was excellent.

I’d ditch the zone for any sort of long stretch Not my thing and we could not rebound for **** out of it.
I'll Just say that the Admiral REFUSED to lose today. He reached way down deep and the best came to the top. What a great interview he gave at the end of the game.

I'll Just say that the Admiral REFUSED to lose today. He reached way down deep and the best came to the top. What a great interview he gave at the end of the game.
That smile is starting to remind me of the young Magic Johnson.

VN Store

Back