BTO’s Georgia Postgame Report

bleedingTNorange

1. Well that was better than a loss, but goodness gracious I really was hoping for a better performance and a less stressful game than that was, but you’ll take the end result. For the thousandth time conference road wins aren’t easy and kudos to Georgia for fighting with nothing to play for, we definitely had a hand in making it a game for them but again, good job by Tennessee finding a way to win and avoid disaster.

2. That was just such an uncharacteristic game for us it’s really hard not to chalk a lot of it up to distraction and looking past an opponent, which you hoped wasn’t the case but definitely appeared to be so. Maybe it was partially the team thinking about Ziegler’s situation or Arkansas coming up, or just thinking Georgia would roll over, but between breakdowns defensively, lazy passes, getting beat to 50/50 balls etc, that just didn’t look much like the Tennessee team we’ve seen most of this year.

3. The silver lining to this game is 2 things imo, 1. JJJ stepped up in a huge way and appeared wasn’t going to let Tennessee lose this game, he was amazing out there on both ends and played arguably his best game as a Vol, as an upperclassmen leader on this team that’s great to see him step up and play with that aggression heading into March, we are going to need it. 2. We won. Maybe it’s a wake up call and an attention getter to bring guys back down to earth a bit and have everyone realizing they haven’t won anything yet, if that’s the case then great, and it didn’t have to come at the expense of a L.

4. I didn’t think this would be a game we needed to rely on old Fulky late to get us a couple baskets but seeing it happen definitely gave some hope that maybe he still has some late game ability for us. Gone are definitely the days of 30 minute Fulk, but if he can bring some offensive game like he has of late and be out there late and a guy we can dump it down into late when we need a bucket that is a big deal. The post remains just a 4 man everyone chip in and see who’s hot on a night deal and that likely will remain the case going forward, tonight our 4 posts combined for 65 mins 23pts 20rbds on 9-18fg, you’ll take that from those guys especially when JJJ is giving you productive minutes at the 4 as well. If you split his 30 minutes and stats in half to fill those other 15 minutes that’s 80mins 34pts 24rbds from your 4/5 positions, that is good post productivity.

5. Alright so let’s reset things, Tennessee gets the win and sits at 22-7(13-4) with an absolutely huge game coming up Saturday at home against Arkansas. With a loss this team still finishes out the regular season overachieving almost everyone’s preseason expectations, but at this point we are all feeling my greedy and want that revenge game and to close out the regular season with a W. We are firmly entrenched on the 3 seed line and avoiding that loss tonight really makes it feel like a 4 seed is probably the floor for this team, a win Saturday though probably moves that floor to a 3 seed and makes a 2 seed very realistic. Tennessee has played really great basketball the last 6 weeks or so and you hope tonight was just an outlier stinker, they’ve got a chance Saturday to show it was exactly that and avenge the earlier loss in the season to Arkansas to enter the SECT with as much momentum as any team in the country.

GBO!!!

It was a hideous game, but I am just reminding myself that this team did something that plenty of other Tennessee teams could not, which is beating a middling Georgia team in Stegman. That has to count for something.

Two games in a row we have shot poorly, so you hope that isn’t the start of a trend. I kind of thought we had too much upperclassmen leadership to “look past” an opponent, but maybe this wasn’t that. Maybe the Zeigler situation has more than just Zakai’s mind elsewhere.

Overall, a win is a win and that is all that matter. Just ask Ohio State.

I’ll just close by saying if JJJ can play like THAT in March, especially in games where the rest of the roster doesn’t just disappear and plays like you’d expect…….that is the type of performance that can lead you into April.

1. Well that was better than a loss, but goodness gracious I really was hoping for a better performance and a less stressful game than that was, but you’ll take the end result. For the thousandth time conference road wins aren’t easy and kudos to Georgia for fighting with nothing to play for, we definitely had a hand in making it a game for them but again, good job by Tennessee finding a way to win and avoid disaster.

2. That was just such an uncharacteristic game for us it’s really hard not to chalk a lot of it up to distraction and looking past an opponent, which you hoped wasn’t the case but definitely appeared to be so. Maybe it was partially the team thinking about Ziegler’s situation or Arkansas coming up, or just thinking Georgia would roll over, but between breakdowns defensively, lazy passes, getting beat to 50/50 balls etc, that just didn’t look much like the Tennessee team we’ve seen most of this year.

3. The silver lining to this game is 2 things imo, 1. JJJ stepped up in a huge way and appeared wasn’t going to let Tennessee lose this game, he was amazing out there on both ends and played arguably his best game as a Vol, as an upperclassmen leader on this team that’s great to see him step up and play with that aggression heading into March, we are going to need it. 2. We won. Maybe it’s a wake up call and an attention getter to bring guys back down to earth a bit and have everyone realizing they haven’t won anything yet, if that’s the case then great, and it didn’t have to come at the expense of a L.

4. I didn’t think this would be a game we needed to rely on old Fulky late to get us a couple baskets but seeing it happen definitely gave some hope that maybe he still has some late game ability for us. Gone are definitely the days of 30 minute Fulk, but if he can bring some offensive game like he has of late and be out there late and a guy we can dump it down into late when we need a bucket that is a big deal. The post remains just a 4 man everyone chip in and see who’s hot on a night deal and that likely will remain the case going forward, tonight our 4 posts combined for 65 mins 23pts 20rbds on 9-18fg, you’ll take that from those guys especially when JJJ is giving you productive minutes at the 4 as well. If you split his 30 minutes and stats in half to fill those other 15 minutes that’s 80mins 34pts 24rbds from your 4/5 positions, that is good post productivity.

5. Alright so let’s reset things, Tennessee gets the win and sits at 22-7(13-4) with an absolutely huge game coming up Saturday at home against Arkansas. With a loss this team still finishes out the regular season overachieving almost everyone’s preseason expectations, but at this point we are all feeling my greedy and want that revenge game and to close out the regular season with a W. We are firmly entrenched on the 3 seed line and avoiding that loss tonight really makes it feel like a 4 seed is probably the floor for this team, a win Saturday though probably moves that floor to a 3 seed and makes a 2 seed very realistic. Tennessee has played really great basketball the last 6 weeks or so and you hope tonight was just an outlier stinker, they’ve got a chance Saturday to show it was exactly that and avenge the earlier loss in the season to Arkansas to enter the SECT with as much momentum as any team in the country.

GBO!!!
Seems like I heard the announcers say something to the effect of the SEC has the highest home winning percentage in the country. Maybe not exactly stated correctly, but essentially that SEC teams defend their home floors.

Tennessee is undefeated at home.
Kentucky is undefeated at home.
Auburn is undefeated at home.
Arkansas has lost 1 home game.
Bama has lost 2 home games.
LSU has lost 2 home games.
Miss. St. has lost 2 home games.

Combined 105-7 at home between those 7 teams.

Seems like I heard the announcers say something to the effect of the SEC has the highest home winning percentage in the country. Maybe not exactly stated correctly, but essentially that SEC teams defend their home floors.

Tennessee is undefeated at home.
Kentucky is undefeated at home.
Auburn is undefeated at home.
Arkansas has lost 1 home game.
Bama has lost 2 home games.
LSU has lost 2 home games.
Miss. St. has lost 2 home games.

Combined 105-7 at home between those 7 teams.
Lets hope MSU wins one more at home tomorrow night.

Before any season, there usually some of us with unbridled optimism, but I think the majority of us would have been really happy/thrilled with that record. We have veterans, but we are counting on valuable minutes from several of our freshmen. So, I'll take it - with a decent chance to potentially be playing for a tie for 1st place on Saturday. Also good to be peaking (hopefully) at the right time, for a change.

Before any season, there usually some of us with unbridled optimism, but I think the majority of us would have been really happy/thrilled with that record. We have veterans, but we are counting on valuable minutes from several of our freshmen. So, I'll take it - with a decent chance to potentially be playing for a tie for 1st place on Saturday. Also good to be peaking (hopefully) at the right time, for a change.
If we were told before the season that Powell, VBJ, HH, and Aidoo would produce almost nothing until over halfway through conference play, there’s no way anybody would’ve felt good about our record going into March. But here we are... the boys have put themselves in a position to make some noise. It’s do or die and time to nut up or shut up. And tbh, it just feels good to know I get to watch March Madness with my favorite team in it.

Tom Crean can clap his goofy azz straight out of a job for all I care. GBO!!!!
Thanks for the post as well BTO.

Reactions: gainesvol82
The team should have fresh legs Saturday because they sure didn't use them up last night. We were constantly getting beat off the dribble. I've seen the offensive woes but haven't seen that all season. There was a clear lack of effort.

Georgia played hard but the Vols were too much for them.

It kinda looked like the Vols were trying to take a night off until they realized UGA was trying to win. Glad the Vols won.

Georgia beat Bama and lost in the last minute to Auburn at home. Think of the teams they beat. I think most knew this would be a dog fight.

Honestly that was the team that showed up much of the year which was why I was worried we might struggle down the stretch. We had 15 turnovers against Arkansas vs 12 in the Georgia game. Both games were sloppy. IMO we are lucky to have been more consistent down the stretch than we were the first 2/3 of the year.

ZZ had his worst game because of his situation. I wish I could talk to the kid. Luckily JJJ had arguably his best game. That is one thing about Tennessee, they can beat you with so many people in so many ways.

We are young. Kind of exciting if you think about it. We won't have Fulky next year, but it's been nice for him to show up while these youngsters get some PT. I was very frustrated with his effort early on in the season.

Hopefully everyone will show up that game. Huge game. They have definitely exceeded my expectations--which got worse after the AZ game. These are the times I enjoy being wrong!

GBO!!!

GBO!!!

I think this is an overreaction to how UT played UGA. 1. UGA has given other ranked opponents a difficult game (ie. Auburn). Just like CRB's comment about UT Fans chanting "overrated" about Auburn, I think this is the exact opposite, we look at the UGA's record and believe they are a bad team and UT had a "stinker" last night. I believe that is a little unfair to UGA's capability and having home-court advantage. UT played a very inspired UGA team, they wanted to upset a ranked opponent. There are plenty of examples of top-ranked teams that lost to unranked or lower-ranked teams this year. This game was no different, Tennessee played within their game and beat a very motivated UGA team. It was a good win. I certainly don't believe we should play that down.

Last edited:
We have now matched the SEC win total from the 2017-2018 co-SEC Championship season. We were co-champs with Auburn that year too. Just sayin…

IF Auburn loses 1 more game and UT wins Saturday, do we not have the tie breaker, or is there a tie breaker system in the SEC?

After going 3 for 3 from 3 in the first 8 minutes, SV didn’t make another basket and uncharacteristicly missed 3-4 clean looks from 3 and ZZZ didn’t play well. These 2 guys have been pretty consistent as of late. Again we missed at least 5 point blank shots at the rim and KC left points at the free throw line. I was surprised he stayed in the game in the last 2 minutes when GA started searching him out to foul. We could have easily scored 10-15 more points.

That’s the first time I’ve seen ga this season. They’ve got too many good players for that terrible record. The pg, center, and wing that posterized SV are all good. Crean isn’t delivering as a coach with that group.

Me and my dad attended last nights game. I believe this brings the streak to forever, as I don't recall missing a game at UGA when Tennessee visits. We are lifelong Georgia residents so it's a nice short drive to the arena. Official attendance was reported as 6,139 out of the 10,000 capacity at Stegeman Coliseum. I believe someone is lying. If there was 6,139 fans in there, I'll cut my right arm off. There was a lot more orange in there than red.

So if Auburn loses at least one more and if we win out do we get the tiebreaker since we beat them head to head? Since we split with KY if KY wins out. Does that make us Co SEC Champions with Ky.

Me and my dad attended last nights game. I believe this brings the streak to forever, as I don't recall missing a game at UGA when Tennessee visits. We are lifelong Georgia residents so it's a nice short drive to the arena. Official attendance was reported as 6,139 out of the 10,000 capacity at Stegeman Coliseum. I believe someone is lying. If there was 6,139 fans in there, I'll cut my right arm off. There was a lot more orange in there than red.
The last game at MZ appeared to have maybe 2,500 in attendance but the announced attendance was over 7K. Either they totally fabricate these numbers or it’s tickets sold. It can’t be people in seats.

IF Auburn loses 1 more game and UT wins Saturday, do we not have the tie breaker, or is there a tie breaker system in the SEC?
Still co-champs, but Tennessee would be the 1-seed in the SECT. Just like 2017-18 when they were co-champs, but Auburn was the 1-seed.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol

GBO!!!
I’m really worried about some of the guys legs, namely Santi. He plays so many minutes and covers more ground that probably anyone in the league. The past few games, but especially last night, I thought he looked tired. By the end of the first half and most of the second half, he looked like he had ankle weights on. ZZ looked quite a bit slower last night too but that’s probably more mental due to what he’s going through right now. Thoughts?

VN Store

Back