BTO’s Florida Postgame Report

Name one team that hasn’t had putrid shooting nights 4-5 times. It happens because the game of basketball itself is wildly inconsistent. Yes, those losses can be disconcerting, but in the realms of basketball probabilities, they’re going to happen during the course of a season. Purdue has been consistent as far as wins go, but could have easily lost 2-3 more. Purdue’s only loss to anyone was to Rutgers on their own home court. It was a bit puzzling and unexpected, but probabilities are what they are.

Fair enough. I’m not waving the white flag on this team. I won’t even hit the “panic” button unless we lose at home to Auburn on Saturday. All I’m saying is I lost a bit of trust last night, because this team continues to show a pattern of being inconsistency on offense. We can still accomplish most of the pre-season goals. They’re all in front of us. Win the next 3 games, set up a big matchup against Alabama, win that one and the narrative will shift.

I still believe that this team can be different. But, we have some issues that need to be fixed if that is to be the case. Aidoo has to be better. Key has to be better. Phillips definitely has to be better. We can’t go far if Phillips doesn’t take a bigger role.

Fair enough. I’m not waving the white flag on this team. I won’t even hit the “panic” button unless we lose at home to Auburn on Saturday. All I’m saying is I lost a bit of trust last night, because this team continues to show a pattern of being inconsistency on offense. We can still accomplish most of the pre-season goals. They’re all in front of us. Win the next 3 games, set up a big matchup against Alabama, win that one and the narrative will shift.

I still believe that this team can be different. But, we have some issues that need to be fixed if that is to be the case. Aidoo has to be better. Key has to be better. Phillips definitely has to be better. We can’t go far if Phillips doesn’t take a bigger role.
Oh, those are definitely valid concerns, no doubt. I was nervous about the Florida game because of several things. Man, basketball is frustrating, but it‘s worth the emotional connection.

Reactions: Lankykong
Think biggest thing we need is for Phillips to turn a corner.

He’s one of the only players we have that can get into the lane at will, needs to start finishing or developing an additional move or two in the lane.

Kick it out and create for others after a drive too, instead of wild drives trying to draw a foul.

Reactions: Volfan1000
In Vescovi’s defense, a lot of his 3 point attempts were out of necessity instead of being in the flow of the offense. Nobody was scoring and they all started deferring to Vescovi to shoot. JMO
Santi was never in rhythm last night and they did not work the offense to get him open, was face guarded all night

6 out of 100 career games he's shot 2-12 or worse. Not sure that's "frequently" but do you, seems some of you "fans" love misery, these game threads are crowded when the team has a bad game but none of you are around when they are winning...why is that?
I’m just saying he’s a career sub-40% shooter and has been neutralized by the opposing team fairly frequently. And I wouldn’t consider discussing the team’s deficiencies as “misery.” If we can only post positive observations, this would be a pretty bland message board. I also said they would win a lot of games and I’d enjoy the ride, but I guess you didn’t read that far. I’m just not expecting a deep run in the tourney, but I can enjoy the season without that.

Reactions: orangemadam
I’m just saying he’s a career sub-40% shooter and has been neutralized by the opposing team fairly frequently. And I wouldn’t consider discussing the team’s deficiencies as “misery.” If we can only post positive observations, this would be a pretty bland message board. I also said they would win a lot of games and I’d enjoy the ride, but I guess you didn’t read that far. I’m just not expecting a deep run in the tourney, but I can enjoy the season without that.

I mean...a 6'3" SG that shoots about 70% of his FGAs from 3 isn't going to have a high FG% like an interior post guy taking layups and dunks my guy...not sure what you expect from him.

If you look at just his 2 PT % he's at 49.1%...but again shooting 7.2 3PT attempts per game isn't going to help your overall FG%.

The ball is like a hot potato. Nobody wants it and try to get rid of it quick as they can. Z passes on a layup with 2 seconds on the shot clock. AND, I feel this is what they're coached to do. No 'go to' guy for a sure bucket

Reactions: Sportslady
Oh, those are definitely valid concerns, no doubt. I was nervous about the Florida game because of several things. Man, basketball is frustrating, but it‘s worth the emotional connection.

Agreed. Knowing the offensive concerns, I maybe bought all the way in a bit too early. I just really wanted to see a regular season conference title and our first 1-seed. Disappointing that those are likely out of reach barring a perfect February, but hey reach a Final Four and those other things ultimately won’t even matter.

Agreed. Knowing the offensive concerns, I maybe bought all the way in a bit too early. I just really wanted to see a regular season conference title and our first 1-seed. Disappointing that those are likely out of reach barring a perfect February, but hey reach a Final Four and those other things ultimately won’t even matter.
Nothing’s out of reach at this point. I think Alabama loses 2-3 more. I do believe the game last night, although it seems bad, will turn out for the good down the road. I have learned over the years that expectations are our own worst enemy. Enjoy the ride and just let things happen. Support the guys, project good vibes, and just know Barnes has got this. I think we have a decent chance, but I won’t EXPECT it. Then I won’t be so disappointed. Love my Vols!

Nothing’s out of reach at this point. I think Alabama loses 2-3 more. I do believe the game last night, although it seems bad, will turn out for the good down the road. I have learned over the years that expectations are our own worst enemy. Enjoy the ride and just let things happen. Support the guys, project good vibes, and just know Barnes has got this. I think we have a decent chance, but I won’t EXPECT it. Then I won’t be so disappointed. Love my Vols!

I wish I had your confidence that Alabama will lose 2-3 conference games, I’m just not sure who outside of Tennessee has the ability to do so.

I agree that this loss could be a good thing for the team if we grow from it and learn the right lessons. We’ll see if those lessons are indeed learned. Similar things were said after the Colorado and Kentucky losses. Should be an interesting final few weeks. I just hope someone on offense steps up.

I wish I had your confidence that Alabama will lose 2-3 conference games, I’m just not sure who outside of Tennessee has the ability to do so.

I agree that this loss could be a good thing for the team if we grow from it and learn the right lessons. We’ll see if those lessons are indeed learned. Similar things were said after the Colorado and Kentucky losses. Should be an interesting final few weeks. I just hope someone on offense steps up.
They will step up, I think. As far as Alabama, did you ever think Alabama would be down by 31 late in the second half against Oklahoma? Anything can happen. We’re good. Bruce is coming and it should be a fun party.

Reactions: GBOx2
They will step up, I think. As far as Alabama, did you ever think Alabama would be down by 31 late in the second half against Oklahoma? Anything can happen. We’re good. Bruce is coming and it should be a fun party.

I did not. But, I also think the Big 12 is a lot better than the SEC top to bottom. I’m not sure the bottom feeders of the SEC are as capable of that type of performance Oklahoma had.

Alabama closes with:

at LSU (W)
Florida (W)
at Auburn (Toss-Up)
at Tennessee (Toss-Up)
Georgia (W)
at South Carolina (W)
Arkansas (Toss-Up)
Auburn (Toss-Up)
at Texas A&M (Toss-Up)

I think we could beat Alabama. Maybe Texas A&M on the road. It would help if Auburn could right the ship after Saturday at then go on a run and give Alabama some hell.

Reactions: cardvolfan
I did not. But, I also think the Big 12 is a lot better than the SEC top to bottom. I’m not sure the bottom feeders of the SEC are as capable of that type of performance Oklahoma had.

Alabama closes with:

at LSU (W)
Florida (W)
at Auburn (Toss-Up)
at Tennessee (Toss-Up)
Georgia (W)
at South Carolina (W)
Arkansas (Toss-Up)
Auburn (Toss-Up)
at Texas A&M (Toss-Up)

I think we could beat Alabama. Maybe Texas A&M on the road. It would help if Auburn could right the ship after Saturday at then go on a run and give Alabama some hell.
I think South Carolina beats Alabama. You heard it here first. Umm, just joking.

Haven't heard anyone mention this but ZZ attempted assists to ON and ON just seemed to have brick hands. ZZ also muffed a couple of assists.

ON many times gets into nice position but seems to occasionally turn it over or simply misses the pass. frustrating.

They played a D that we didn’t adjust to and will figure it out after film if we see it again. Not many undefeated teams and Kansas recently loss three in a row. Teams who shoot 28 percent rarely win and Sec road games are always tough. Unlike other losses, we dominated the boards. We played horribly on offense and still had a six point lead. Disappointing we didn’t take that and run with it.

John Wooden UCLA teams that win every game just doesn’t happen in this era with team travel being the norm and 64 teams in March. I will be disappointed if we can’t get to the second weekend and last night was frustrating but that’s college basketball these days.

They played a D that we didn’t adjust to and will figure it out after film if we see it again.

I agree this was part of the chess match of coaching. The pick and roll game that just dominated Texas didn’t work with Castleton roaming the paint and we struggled early to deal. We kind of hit a stride in the middle of the game and then went ice cold at the end. Just a normal college basketball game if you ask me.

Since SEC league play started at Ole Miss and including the Texas game, Phillips is shooting 49% FG, and 42% from 3 pt line. Problem is that his volume is low. Had a real bad stinker against Georgia. Over that stretch he is averaging less than 6 shots per game. Only had 4 attempts last night. They rarely run anything for him. I think they are not using him vs him not performing. I suspect this is the role they want him to play but if so, it is a mistake. He is rebounding and defending well especially for a freshman. I do agree that he needs to stop jumping sideways into bigs and shooting off balance at times but that can be fixed by coaching. He is quick enough to drive, although his handle needs to tighten up, but he just needs to be reminded that pulling up, staying balanced and shooting an easy midrange jumper in the paint is fine. He gets in trouble at times when he drives too deep and throws up a prayer.

Phillips should be taking 7 to 10 shots per game and he is doing very well rebounding the ball.

Disappointing but not shocking. Barnes has 4-5 of these a year in the reg season and otherwise is elite. Just gotta hope and pray we don’t have one of these eggs in the tournament. Barnes doesn’t run and play with any pace and get easy baskets. While it helps defensively because we are typically set, offensively we have to work for everything and hit shots because we get no cheap baskets Bad shooting nights it’s going to be ugly for us. When we shoot well we look like a well oiled machine. Just the way it is.
Yes, my thinking was why arent they adjusting and do some run and guns? ZZ and Santi kept pulling up, and maybe it was Castleton that intimidated them

Yes, my thinking was why arent they adjusting and do some run and guns? ZZ and Santi kept pulling up, and maybe it was Castleton that intimidated them
Castleon was very effective inside and Florida didn’t even try to send anyone to the glass for offensive rebounds. Their game plan was to shoot then get back on defense. There were no run and guns available.

It's probable that we will not see significant improvement down the stretch from a number of our older players, like Vescovi, JJJ, ON, Uros, Key. Those guys have pretty much defined who they are and what we will get from them. From that, we can deduce that the significant improvement that we need must come from the younger players. ZZZ, Phillips, Aidoo, Awaka, must start helping us more, especially on the offensive end.

I think the weirdest part of this loss has been the number of people on #VolTwitter almost relishing in the loss because it proved their narrative that this Tennessee basketball team isn’t “the greatest ever”. Lots of mocking tweets.

I get it. People are upset. I lost a lot of trust with this team tonight, too. But, I just don’t understand why large portions of our fanbase just seem to get more enjoyment out of losses than wins.

100%

For most, it's the pride and desire to be "right" which outweighs being a fan and rooting for your team to do well

Solid write up and I thought that Tennessee settled for too many three point looks when they should have shot a few more mid range shots.

Florida had a unique game plan in that they did not hit the offensive glass and they made sure that Tennessee did not get any easy baskets by having all 5 players sprint back to the defensive end after running an offensive set.

Castleton is just a bad match up problem for Tennessee and the Gators can block a lot of shots inside the paint.

Auburn is a must win game on Saturday afternoon at TBA.

I agree with a lot of this...too many 3's seemed rushed and a bit off balanced (not to mention a few that were too deep)

Reactions: Volfan1000
The ball is like a hot potato. Nobody wants it and try to get rid of it quick as they can. Z passes on a layup with 2 seconds on the shot clock. AND, I feel this is what they're coached to do. No 'go to' guy for a sure bucket

Well on drives by ZZ that Cast was at the basket he just stood there flat-footed waiting to block it is why IMO ZZ tried the flip pass to Uros (then shot clock violation). Cast sent his shot sailing the earlier time he tried to shoot vs the big guy. They had a good game plan I hope their recruiting doesn't pick up I'm impressed with their coach.

VN Store

Back