BTO’s Florida postgame report

that's honestly what i was trying to say. Schofield should start playing like a slasher / shot creator instead of trying to jack up 3s
He needs to do both. To me he seems to be a rhythm type player, at his best when he's in sync. When his first couple of treys don't go in and he starts rebounding and going to the glass the 3s start to fall for him. His worst games have been when he gets frustrated and keeps slinging bricks. That's only been 1 or 2 games.

If you can remember a better UT team, I’d like to know which year so I can tell you you’re wrong
I watched em all since Ernie and Bernie. This is the most consistent and complete team and by far the deepest. Are better teams in the past seemed to have lots of off nights and bad losses. We haven’t seen that this year.

I watched em all since Ernie and Bernie. This is the most consistent and complete team and by far the deepest. Are better teams in the past seemed to have lots of off nights and bad losses. We haven’t seen that this year.

I still think the Jerry Green team with Harris, Higgins, Yarbrough, Black, Hardaway, Slay, Hazlip, Victor, etc was the deepest team. Losing that game to UNC was very disappointing.

Reactions: kbear01
I still think the Jerry Green team with Harris, Higgins, Yarbrough, Black, Hardaway, Slay, Hazlip, Victor, etc was the deepest team. Losing that game to UNC was very disappointing.
That team was loaded, but it underachieved. That is coaching. This team is loaded, and has overachieved, for the most part. That is also coaching, and leadership. Having a true point guard (Bone vs Harris) is a big plus, as well. As good as Harris was, he forced the ball, into impossible situations, turning it over, in essence. Bone lets the game come to him, and exploits openings, at the most opportune times. Getting the ball to his guys in the right position, to be successful. Green's team was playground. There is no doubt, that this team is led by Barnes, Bone, Admiral and Williams. Its a pleasure to watch them work their magic.

Reactions: wmcovol
Solid win, but the offensive boards need work.
I agree, but the offensive efficiency has taken care of a lot of the board issues. Yes Offensive Boards are essential but 2nd Chance points on the Defensive Side is a greater issue.

Still think CRB is playing very controlled basketball....on both sides of the ball. Tempo, Tempo and Tempo. Up and Down both Offensively and Defensively...conserving energy at times and opening up at other times.

Watch games in 8 minute segments. Sometimes it is like a Cat toying with a Mouse. In game adjustments to get the production He needs.

Last 4 minutes of Game yesterday. No Subs insult to other coach comment. We got sloppy last 2 minutes. This will be a teaching point, but all we were doing is running out the clock...got sloppy in the process. 3 TOs.

Reactions: Larkin
I never have bought into the idea that we are a deep team. We really only have 6 reliable players.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
I never have bought into the idea that we are a deep team. We really only have 6 reliable players.
6 players that can score 20 in any game is very dangerous. Gongaza and Nevada are maybe the only other teams that can say that as far as title contenders go.

Reactions: Frozevol
1. Another conference game another win...it wasn’t the best effort of the season but it was a solid win against a team that the computers seem to like, and it was a season sweep over Florida, hard to complain about that. I’m not sure if Florida finds a way to sneak into the tourney but they’re at least in the conversation, if they figure things out that’ll only help the Vols.

2. Individually nobody really had a “great” game, Bone and Turner had probably their worst combined game together all year 8-18fg 8ast 8tos, not likely we see those 2 struggle like that again. Williams and Schofield had strong games, they combined to go 13-22 from the field, maybe we should have found them more but Florida’s defensive strategy makes it difficult to get it inside even though they aren’t that big down low...credit to both of them for not forcing things though.

3. I think Jordan Bowden once again deserves credit, he has absolutely found a new confidence level and at this point I now feel comfortable expecting it every night from
Bowden and not just hoping...he’s got a quick trigger on the 3 now and not simply only a spot up shooter, he’s driving, hitting the midrange curls and his leaping ability seems to be at a new level too, that left handed putback should be SC Top 10, not sure why that one wasn’t shown multiple times.

4. Offensively and defensively we were pretty good, Florida is only going to beat you from 3 and for the most part we did a nice job shutting that down. We lost Locke a couple of times and that’s annoying, but overall we did a good job limiting their looks. Offensively we were pretty good when we didn’t turn the ball over, 53%fg 43% from deep is phenomenal, but 13 turnovers on 17 assists is uncharacteristic and once again getting outrebounded (15orbds for them) is what kept this game as close as it was.

5. Alright so we are down to 1 to go, what seems like several weeks/month+ ago I started pointing out the possibility of getting to Kentucky at 23-1(11-0) and having a showdown with them similar to the hype we’ve seen for tonight’s game with Duke/Virginia. We still have South Carolina on Wednesday night to get through so the players can’t be looking ahead to Saturday, but as fans we sure can and boy am I already excited for this one. I’m not sure what to expect, the Cats are arguably playing better than anyone in the country, and Tennessee of late has not been...the continued issue of not keeping teams off the offensive boards plays right into Kentucky’s strengths, my head says this isn’t gonna go well, but my heart hopes I’m wrong, either way I can’t wait, but first let’s continue the home winning streak and beat USCjr on Wednesday night.

GBO!!!

Great report except that the Gators are plummeting. Whatever benefit they had in losing close games early is fading. They are mailing it in.

Great report except that the Gators are plummeting. Whatever benefit they had in losing close games early is fading. They are mailing it in.
They played decent against Kentucky. Next weekend is a critical game at Bama. If they can’t win that then they’re toast

Our 3 pt and FG % has gone up and our rebounding has gone down as a direct result of Turner getting more minutes and Pons getting fewer. Its a trade off. I don't pretend to know which is a better match up for Kentucky, Pons or Turner, but I trust CRB will get the best 5 on the court in the given situation.

Our 3 pt and FG % has gone up and our rebounding has gone down as a direct result of Turner getting more minutes and Pons getting fewer. Its a trade off. I don't pretend to know which is a better match up for Kentucky, Pons or Turner, but I trust CRB will get the best 5 on the court in the given situation.

Tennessee's D rebounding is just fine..........their O rebounding on the other hand struggles.........to be kind. However there are some reasons as to why it does, but they certainly need work on it. Tennessee shoots the ball well.........and therefore less rebounds to be had. At times Tennessee goes to the paint with just one player there, and most of the time they will draw a double team...........that gives the player less of a chance for the rebound. Tennessee tries to (and does) create a lot of switches, and while that helps Tennessee's O, it can put their players out of position at times for rebounds.

That is what looked different @ this group even at the beginning of last season to me. Even if I missed a gimme game, the score would make my heart warm. Then they waaay overpeeformed last season and are even better this.

Pearl had some teams that could beat this one on any given night. That goes for most any team Pearl faced. But, those teams were so driven by passion and emotion it seemed. When he wasn't able to get the team hyped for some .500 road opponent type, we could get beat. This team is more workmanlike, methodical, and coached better fundamentally IMO. I hope that recipe holds up come tourney time.

Tennessee's D rebounding is just fine..........their O rebounding on the other hand struggles.........to be kind. However there are some reasons as to why it does, but they certainly need work on it. Tennessee shoots the ball well.........and therefore less rebounds to be had. At times Tennessee goes to the paint with just one player there, and most of the time they will draw a double team...........that gives the player less of a chance for the rebound. Tennessee tries to (and does) create a lot of switches, and while that helps Tennessee's O, it can put their players out of position at times for rebounds.
I disagree. Defensive rebounding is one of their biggest weaknesses

Reactions: wmcovol
I disagree. Defensive rebounding is one of their biggest weaknesses

Tennessee is 30th in the nation in D rebounding, while that certainly could improve, I would not call it a deficiency for a team that does certainly have rebounding issues. Heck Duke only gets .4 (that is point 4 more, not 4 more) more per game, and they are 2nd in the nation in total rebounds per game (23rd in D rebounding)

Last edited:
Having another 3pt threat vs Kentucky is big. Question will just be challenging Herro on D who is shooting well in conference play.

Tennessee is 30th in the nation in D rebounding, while that certainly could improve, I would not call it a deficiency for a team that does certainly have rebounding issues. Heck Duke only gets .4 (that is point 4 more, not 4 more) more per game, and they are 2nd in the nation in total rebounds per game (23rd in D rebounding)
29D66B07-AF56-4A4F-86EE-DE57433F38CA.jpeg

Agree that you don't need to be that deep but at some point you need a couple extra players you can rely on.

I do not use kenpom as I don't like it, but to each their own.......not saying its bad. I did say they could improve and they can, but I would not expect them to improve tremendously.........as they simply are not a great rebounding team, and the NCAA has them listed at the 30th best D rebounding team.........not far at all behind Duke. Maybe the % is not there, but their totals are and I still do not see it as a problem for this team. Tennessee's O is great and they get 28 defensive rebounds per game, I think they will be just fine with that, but I still theink they need to work on their 10 O rebounds per game.

But still this is just my opinion.

I do not use kenpom as I don't like it, but to each their own.......not saying its bad. I did say they could improve and they can, but I would not expect them to improve tremendously.........as they simply are not a great rebounding team, and the NCAA has them listed at the 30th best D rebounding team.........not far at all behind Duke. Maybe the % is not there, but their totals are and I still do not see it as a problem for this team. Tennessee's O is great and they get 28 defensive rebounds per game, I think they will be just fine with that, but I still theink they need to work on their 10 O rebounds per game.

But still this is just my opinion.
Opponents miss a lot of shots against us so there are a lot of rebounds to be had.

VN Store

Back