BTO’s Florida postgame report

I’m almost to the point that either Bowden or Turner has to start. We’re playing 4 on 5 when Yves is out there. I love him and he’s a plus on defense but two air balls and just isn’t aggressive on offense.
I think he should still start but he's not going to get as many minutes. He (Pons) needs to stay in his game (defense, rebounding, and slashing). I thought a potential negative game changer was the air ball followed up by an and 1. Thankfully that didn't cost us.

I was impressed with this win tonight. Florida had a good defensive game plan and was hot from three in the first half. However, Barnes made some defensive adjustments and our guys kept their poise and gutted out a win.

Reactions: RollerVol and jim43
On a side note, I was watching the replay of Schofield's dagger shot, and there were several UT fans right there behind the goal. Kinda surprised to see that many, near the court.

Reactions: RollerVol
Don't change a thing as far as starting lineup. It is working great. You get a boost when Jordan Bowdan comes into the game. Phil Jackson always had a great 6th man instead of another starter. It is a philosophy that works.

The in-game change to tighten up defense was great as well attacking from the deep corner. Make them pay for that over agressive high press. It is amazing we seem to have the psersonal to counter these varying defenses! This game made us sweat it out, but what fun it is. 😁😎

I’m almost to the point that either Bowden or Turner has to start. We’re playing 4 on 5 when Yves is out there. I love him and he’s a plus on defense but two air balls and just isn’t aggressive on offense.

I think we were up 11 - 5 after about 3 1/2 to 4 minutes. I think his presence on the court makes a difference sometimes that doesn't show up in the stats. If we kept having slow starts I might agree with you.

Reactions: JacketVol
Seem to be a lot of teams winning road games this season in the SEC. But, maybe it's just because those are the games I've watched.
Great road win today though. Loving this team more after every game.

Reactions: JacketVol
At one point in the second half FL was in the double bonus and they had called 4 fouls on them. One of the worst called games I have seen this year, and most were called against the good guys.

1. What a fun win, I’m not sure if it’s playing a rival at their place or a tough fought close game, but sometimes you just yell at the TV a little more than normal or scoot a little further to the edge of your couch than normal...tonight was one of those games, it really felt like one of the best wins of the year when it was over, very satisfying game.

2. Vegas has this as a 2 point Vol win, advanced metrics had this as a 1pt game in either direction, people asked why? This was a road game against a conference rival, they play really good defense, can get hot from 3 and would have a packed house behind them...all of this was true, but in a game that years past this team wouldn’t have pulled out, this team executed great down the stretch and showed why they’re the #3 team in this country.

3. Offensively we shot 53% which is really good, we held them to 35% which is also really good, so why was it a game? The great equalizer being the 3 ball...Florida hit a ton of them in the first half and to their credit their defense forced us away from what we like to do, to our credit though this team can win multiple ways and they showed that again tonight. 23 attempts from 3 is gonna be more than Barnes prefers, but that’s what Florida was giving you and we hit 39% of them, not bad for what many worried was the weakest part of this team. I liked the adjustment by Barnes to go smaller, we still used Kyle but when he exited instead of Fulk or Walker we slid Grant to the 5, this was a lineup that had a lot of success against Florida in that 2nd half.

4. Speaking of Grant...PB&J did their thing again, Grant didn’t have his best game, nor did Admiral, but they both fought, played good defense and down the stretch both guys came up absolutely huge. The play won’t go down with the other all-timers because this wasn’t a massive game against a ranked team, but GW’s pass to Admiral in the corner for that late 3 is one I will remember for a long time.

5. Speaking of doing their thing...Jordan Bowden continued his strong play, his biggest critique was he never showed in big games or on the road, well he’s slowly putting that to rest. Since switching to coming off the bench he’s averaging 12ppg and has come up big in important spots when his team has needed him, I’m not sure if Tennessee wins this game without the stretch late in the game where he hits the 3 and then steal and dunk.

6. Again great to see Turner out there, he played big minutes and throwing down a dunk was a great sign, I am breathing a little easier and not worried about his shoulder much anymore. He will continue to get his legs back under him and get back into the flow and he’s an absolute gym rat so I have no doubts he will only improve, he and Bowden coming off the bench is a lot of firepower and gives us both the guard depth and outside shooting we were missing.

7. Obviously anything can happen, but this was one of the most likely stumbling blocks for the Vols per most advanced metrics, and our boys passed the test. Their next 9 games include 6 home games, and the 3 away are Vanderbilt, South Carolina and Texas A&M all teams Tennessee will be heavy favorites over...again anything can happen but do the Vols head to Rupp Arena on February 16th sitting at 23-1???

GBO!!!
Great write up BTO. Always enjoy reading your post game report.

Pons gives UT defense on the opposing team's point guard and I think that allows Bone to be more focused on the offensive end, dishing the rock and getting UT into its offensive sets. Bowden was definitely the player of the game tonight and it was UT's first win in Gainesville since 2012.

Very much playing like a veteran team. That has been a long time coming, but worth the wait.

Those rating are good for cumulative probability. On a game by game, Fpi is better. Which I think had the Vols by 3, and some, including the Dunkel Index had the Vols by 9
Interesting vegas’ was much more in line with the ones I mentioned or FPI, not anywhere near the 9.

I love Bowden coming in for the spark. It's working, so why change it? He was THE MAN down the stretch...decided that we were not losing tonight and took over.

I read about Grant and Admiral's discussion before that final dagger...dang I love this team. Enjoy it, folks!

Reactions: Vols All Day
No reason to fix what's working. Bowden is playing his best ball as a Vol right now. It's not about who starts, but who finishes. Thankfully, Bowden has adopted that selfless philosophy, as well. Many kids these days would take to social media to cryptically voice their displeasure over losing their starting spot, or worse yet, take their ball and move on.

VN Store

Back