BTO’s ETSU Postgame Report

The connotation is the FIRST off the bench.

If the 6th man logs more minutes than a starter, why do YOU call him the 6th man? You’re having a tantrum over what number Bailey is.
Ok TGO, this is like that time you tried to argue about medical redshirts and were hell bent on it regardless of how wrong everyone told you that you were.

This reminds me of ... wide world of wrestling ... where two guys go into the ring and just ... have at it ... where's the popcorn???
In this corner ... BTO .... ANDDDDDDD in the other corner .... TGO .... let'sssssss rumble.......

Barnes has been a 7-8 man rotation in the past. But I always thought it was talent and fit (and player health) ... that led to that result.

I will be very surprised ... no shocked is probably the right word ... if we see 7-8 man rotation in the next two games. (Villanova and maybe Purdue)
We currently have 10 guys AVERAGING double digit minutes ... that's my definition of depth of rotation.
You can look at this two ways: 1) 30 minutes means you are better than the guy behind you. or 2) The guy behind you is getting 10-18 minutes because he is trying with every ounce of his being to earn some minutes of playing time. Personally, I like less minutes per player because it means we have a deeper team overall. Then when needed ... when necessity requires we can play Vescovi or Fulky or KC for 37 minutes. But we want that to be the exception ... not the rule.

Barnes only has 200 minutes to distribute. And he talks in terms of 'valuing playing time.' PressReader.com - Digital Newspaper & Magazine Subscriptions

Kennedy Chandler is absolutely incredible!!!! ALREADY and RIGHT NOW!!!
But as amazing as he is playing, he is STILL not playing more that 24 minutes. Granted, the teams we have played were not top 20 teams and not SEC teams either.
However, that is not really the main thing. I hear the word 'trust' thrown around a lot by the coaches. So, TRUST is a factor. But so is, developing a player ... so they can demonstrate that they can be trusted.
Rick Barnes WANTS to be able to trust the guy behind the starter and give them an EQUAL amount of playing time. Which would result in 10 guys playing 20 minutes each.
Barnes wants them to 'value' their time on the floor, when that player does 'value it' ... that player will earn MORE minutes!

But earning minutes ... only applies up to a point. Barnes has said in the past that he is positioning the team for the full season. He wants the team to be rested at tournament time. That is achieved, according to Rick, by playing more players and playing a deeper rotation.
This is the first time I thought we might be able to actually play 10 guys (according to my definition above). Then, Aidoo took a hit. So I tossed it out the window. Now, I am looking at more likely a 9 man rotation (double digit minutes).

When you are winning by 30 points, minutes are going to be awarded to those guys at the end of the bench who have dedicated their lives and sweat to the team: Jancek, Sulack, and Gilbert. They have earned their minutes!
It will be up to ZZ, UROS, Mashack, Aidoo and QD to make a case they deserve MORE minutes!
Mashack and QD are trying to take minutes from Bailey, Vescovi, JJJ, and Powell ... that is a very tall order.
At point guard, Chandler is the undisputed king. Vescovi is reliable and trustworthy as a backup while KC catches his breath (he is slow for a point guard - and picks up fouls). ZZ has to prove that he deserves more of Vescovi's minutes! In my opinion that is very doable!
Aidoo and Uros are trying to carve out minutes behind Fulky, ON, and BHH. That is very problematic, even in the best case. I think Aidoo has the inside rail.

Of the two guys at the bottom ... I expect UROS to be the guy who drops to the bottom and perhaps off the chart. ( But he is definitely quicker and more physical than last year. I think his development is just going to take a more time.) ZZ has the easiest path to minutes, but he STILL has to earn them.
However, I expect Aidoo to start to climb the minutes played as he returns to basketball playing shape. Not saying that he will get to double digit minutes ... depends on how much the sickness has set him back.

I don’t think Barnes is pigeon holed to that, our 31 win team had 4 guys averaging over 30mpg…watch and see how it shakes out against Nova assuming it’s a close game. He will ride with guys he trusts and not have any issue playing them more than 30mpg, no offense but you’re crazy if you think Chandler is getting 26mpg as the schedule ramps up.
If you turn out to be correct ... I will be glad to acknowledge it .... LOUDLY. For now I will sit and enjoy every game as it unfolds.

This reminds me of ... wide world of wrestling ... where two guys go into the ring and just ... have at it ... where's the popcorn???
In this corner ... BTO .... ANDDDDDDD in the other corner .... TGO .... let'sssssss rumble.......

Barnes has been a 7-8 man rotation in the past. But I always thought it was talent and fit (and player health) ... that led to that result.

I will be very surprised ... no shocked is probably the right word ... if we see 7-8 man rotation in the next two games. (Villanova and maybe Purdue)
We currently have 10 guys AVERAGING double digit minutes ... that's my definition of depth of rotation.
You can look at this two ways: 1) 30 minutes means you are better than the guy behind you. or 2) The guy behind you is getting 10-18 minutes because he is trying with every ounce of his being to earn some minutes of playing time. Personally, I like less minutes per player because it means we have a deeper team overall. Then when needed ... when necessity requires we can play Vescovi or Fulky or KC for 37 minutes. But we want that to be the exception ... not the rule.

Barnes only has 200 minutes to distribute. And he talks in terms of 'valuing playing time.' PressReader.com - Digital Newspaper & Magazine Subscriptions

Kennedy Chandler is absolutely incredible!!!! ALREADY and RIGHT NOW!!!
But as amazing as he is playing, he is STILL not playing more that 24 minutes. Granted, the teams we have played were not top 20 teams and not SEC teams either.
However, that is not really the main thing. I hear the word 'trust' thrown around a lot by the coaches. So, TRUST is a factor. But so is, developing a player ... so they can demonstrate that they can be trusted.
Rick Barnes WANTS to be able to trust the guy behind the starter and give them an EQUAL amount of playing time. Which would result in 10 guys playing 20 minutes each.
Barnes wants them to 'value' their time on the floor, when that player does 'value it' ... that player will earn MORE minutes!

But earning minutes ... only applies up to a point. Barnes has said in the past that he is positioning the team for the full season. He wants the team to be rested at tournament time. That is achieved, according to Rick, by playing more players and playing a deeper rotation.
This is the first time I thought we might be able to actually play 10 guys (according to my definition above). Then, Aidoo took a hit. So I tossed it out the window. Now, I am looking at more likely a 9 man rotation (double digit minutes).

When you are winning by 30 points, minutes are going to be awarded to those guys at the end of the bench who have dedicated their lives and sweat to the team: Jancek, Sulack, and Gilbert. They have earned their minutes!
It will be up to ZZ, UROS, Mashack, Aidoo and QD to make a case they deserve MORE minutes!
Mashack and QD are trying to take minutes from Bailey, Vescovi, JJJ, and Powell ... that is a very tall order.
At point guard, Chandler is the undisputed king. Vescovi is reliable and trustworthy as a backup while KC catches his breath (he is slow for a point guard - and picks up fouls). ZZ has to prove that he deserves more of Vescovi's minutes! In my opinion that is very doable!
Aidoo and Uros are trying to carve out minutes behind Fulky, ON, and BHH. That is very problematic, even in the best case. I think Aidoo has the inside rail.

Of the two guys at the bottom ... I expect UROS to be the guy who drops to the bottom and perhaps off the chart. ( But he is definitely quicker and more physical than last year. I think his development is just going to take a more time.) ZZ has the easiest path to minutes, but he STILL has to earn them.
However, I expect Aidoo to start to climb the minutes played as he returns to basketball playing shape. Not saying that he will get to double digit minutes ... depends on how much the sickness has set him back.

Excellent analysis. Thanks for putting it in writing.

Bailey has been off the bench and into the game ahead of Powell and definitely Zeigler in all 3 games so far iirc…again, barring injury Bailey will be playing more than Zeigler.

I could spend the next couple of hours bumping these BTO takes. But I will take the high road (after this bump). BTO is a nice guy when he’s not mad. LOL.

I should get a bunch of screen grabs before he deletes them though.

I could spend the next couple of hours bumping these BTO takes. But I will take the high road (after this bump). BTO is a nice guy when he’s not mad. LOL.

I should get a bunch of screen grabs before he deletes them though.
Zeigler really impressed me, Bailey was in first and played more against Nova, but obviously not today against UNC. Barnes and staff need to take a long look at this weekends film.

Ziegler way out performed my expectations today. Really fun seeing a guy his height having success. He’ll quickly become a crowd favorite if he can continue anything close to this level of play

If we have both our point guards playing at a high level, we are going to have a great season.

No, this is what you said that I disagreed with…

“Right now it looks like there will be 8 regulars (KC, ZZ, SV, JJJ, BHH, Fulk, Powell, ORN) with Bailey possibly holding on to a 9th in the primary rotation.”

In no way right now does it look like there will be 8 regulars and Bailey not being one of them, or being the 9th guy…I just about guarantee you that Bailey will not be 9th on the team in Games Played/MPG, which is how rotation/regulars is measured. By definition Bailey is currently the 6th man, maybe he gives way to Powell (quite possible) but I don’t see any chance (barring injury) his games played or minutes played drops below Zeigler…which again, by definition puts him ahead in rotation.

I’ll just leave this here.
71A2DE6D-9477-416C-9F40-74A3101E3AF7.png

Bailey's 10th in FG% doesn't bode well for his minutes coming up in the next few games.

Thanks for that table!

Good for you man… Throw as much shade as you can on a dude that appears to give 100 all the time including cheerleading when he hadn’t saw a minute in the game.
feel better?
Sorry you get your feelings hurt by message board comments. I never claimed he couldn't be a cheerleader. Heck that's what he does well. Give him pom poms and a 40 minute cheerleading role.

Sorry you get your feelings hurt by message board comments. I never claimed he couldn't be a cheerleader. Heck that's what he does well. Give him pom poms and a 40 minute cheerleading role.
I would love for you to make some of your comments to his face. You’re a bad dude, man.

I would love for you to make some of your comments to his face. You’re a bad dude, man.
OK, since you obviously can't handle any amount of joking around, let's have a more serious discussion about UP. I think Barnes wants to give him a shot to contribute because he gave us some good minutes at times at the end of last season. The game that sticks out more than any was the Florida game in the SEC Tournament. The problem is that he just can't move his feet quick enough to stay in front of anyone. Just as soon as he enters the game his man gets three open layups because the other team know he can't guard anyone and goes right after him. SEC basketball is not participation trophy basketball. If you can't guard you can't play. It's ashame because he has a decent offensive skill set.

I mean, Plastic despite his limitations, has given UT some decent minutes. He catches most of Chandler's passes and scores some easy lay-ups and that touch pass was sweet. Still disappointed in his boards and blocks, but he is what he is, a 5 minute guy that can give some fouls and score a basket or 2.

I mean, Plastic despite his limitations, has given UT some decent minutes. He catches most of Chandler's passes and scores some easy lay-ups and that touch pass was sweet. Still disappointed in his boards and blocks, but he is what he is, a 5 minute guy that can give some fouls and score a basket or 2.
You can steal a minute or two if you catch an opponent with a not so athletic center. But, how many of those are in the SEC?

You can steal a minute or two if you catch an opponent with a not so athletic center. But, how many of those are in the SEC?

There might be several backup centers in the SEC that Uros is capable of going head-to-head with. They might even struggle going against a 7 footer that is catching the amazing passes from JC, Vescovi, and/or ZZ. And no matter how un-athletic a defender might be, when they are that tall they can disrupt shots at the rim.

Not sure why you’d have ZZ and also Powell to a lesser extent ahead of Bailey, you used minutes played as evidence for Zeigler but yet Bailey has more minutes than Powell or ZZ.

Your 5 is KC, SV, JJ, ON & Fulky

Bailey, Powell & BHH are clear first 3 off the bench in some order, giving you 8.

Zeigler & Uros 9&10 abs depending on matchup their minutes will vary.

Have you figured out why the ZZ angle yet? LOL.

Welcome back SeniorDrill

VN Store

Back