BTO’s Colorado Postgame Report

ON just continues to frustrate me. One night it looks like he's figured things out and will be a factor down low. Then there are games where he's just...well....lost. I know it's still early, but I've just about come to the conclusion that we're just not going to get anything from our front court other than Fulky and JJJ. Small ball it is I guess. Hey, you get hot at the right time and you never know. Pearl and AU are a perfect example of that. Gonna savor every game we have with Chandler. Special, special talent.

Same, wrt ORN. He’s so frustrating.

But it’s early. Hopefully, at some point this season, he starts finding consistency. He has the ability…we’ve seen it. If he can become consistent by March, that would be huge for this team.

Reactions: walkenvol
Stevie Hamer is one of the best analysts anywhere around. Yes, he played for UT, but that doesn’t mean he is totally biased. The guy knows the game better than almost anyone.
Don’t take it so literal with regards to any sentiment of Hamer. It wasn’t a slam on him.

UK fans think wheeler is faster and better than Chandler and chandler wont be able to stay in front of him. They’re gonna learn the hard way

Stevie Hamer is one of the best analysts anywhere around. Yes, he played for UT, but that doesn’t mean he is totally biased. The guy knows the game better than almost anyone.
Really enjoy Hamer, but he is definitely a bit of a homer which is part of what I like about him. Every school’s announcers should know their audience and play towards them. IMO

UK fans think wheeler is faster and better than Chandler and chandler wont be able to stay in front of him. They’re gonna learn the hard way
Both of them can flip the light switch and get in bed before the lights go out. That will be a great matchup.

Reactions: The Dog
Really enjoy Hamer, but he is definitely a bit of a homer which is part of what I like about him. Every school’s announcers should know their audience and play towards them. IMO
I like him on radio but for some reason comes across as two soft spoken on TV games. I can't really explain that.

Reactions: VOLinPD
I like him on radio but for some reason comes across as two soft spoken on TV games. I can't really explain that.
Coached against him when he coached his boys teams. That man has lungs that echo in a gymnasium. I imagine they have to turn his microphone down. If you ever get to talk to him in person, wear earplugs. Great dude!

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
Don’t take it so literal with regards to any sentiment of Hamer. It wasn’t a slam on him.
“Low-rent broadcast analysis from Hamer,” and you tell me me not to take it literally? Come on, Chris. You’re better than that.

Well, Texas Tech has been one of the best defenses in college basketball in recent years. Despite the coaching change I still expect them to be a major upgrade over Colorado.
A “major upgrade?” How badly do you think Texas Tech will beat Tennessee?

“Low-rent broadcast analysis from Hamer,” and you tell me me not to take it literally? Come on, Chris. You’re better than that.
It was meant as a comparison of the quality of broadcasters and production you see from an ESPN broadcast for a sizable OOC matchup involving a top-15 team as opposed to the poor quality of each that Fox Sports put out there.

Like Hamer, or not, a game like that on ESPN is out of his league, at this point. At least I've never heard him call a game of that caliber, but hey...maybe I've just missed it. In my experience, he seems limited to exhibitions and over-matched, early season in-state opponents from what I've seen. At the end of the day, he's calling games and I'm not, but there is probably a reason he isn't featured by ESPN on more prominent broadcasts, don't you think?

John Ward was a bit of a homer. He was also one of the most professional broadcasters the country has ever seen.
John Ward was a paid employee of the university to be a homer, not an ESPN or Fox Sports broadcaster whose aim should be neutrality. Tennessee fans tuned in to hear him be pro-Tennessee. Same way Larry Munson was unapologetically pro-Georgia, or Eli Gold is pro-Alabama.

Not really an apples to apples comparison.

It was meant as a comparison of the quality of broadcasters and production you see from an ESPN broadcast for a sizable OOC matchup involving a top-15 team as opposed to the poor quality of each that Fox Sports put out there.

Like Hamer, or not, a game like that on ESPN is out of his league, at this point. At least I've never heard him call a game of that caliber, but hey...maybe I've just missed it. In my experience, he seems limited to exhibitions and over-matched, early season in-state opponents from what I've seen. At the end of the day, he's calling games and I'm not, but there is probably a reason he isn't featured by ESPN on more prominent broadcasts, don't you think?
He is a gifted broadcaster. ANY broadcaster, whether national or regional or hired by a specific institution, is going to show some favoritism in some way to a school they attended. Am I wrong? My specific objection was to your “low-rent” comment regarding his broadcast.

He is a gifted broadcaster. ANY broadcaster, whether national or regional or hired by a specific institution, is going to show some favoritism in some way to a school they attended. Am I wrong? My specific objection was to your “low-rent” comment regarding his broadcast.
Ok

Reactions: AngryButchJones
A “major upgrade?” How badly do you think Texas Tech will beat Tennessee?
Didn't say anything about them beating us. This started with a guy making comments about KC getting a bunch lay ups in every game. Like it's just gonna keep happening. You and I both know that good opponents are not gonna let him make 11 layups. We may win by 20 but that's not happening in this game.

Didn't say anything about them beating us. This started with a guy making comments about KC getting a bunch lay ups in every game. Like it's just gonna keep happening. You and I both know that good opponents are not gonna let him make 11 layups. We may win by 20 but that's not happening in this game.
Sorta depends on how good KC really is as I recall Iverson getting regular layups against the best players in the world so it’s possible.

Sorta depends on how good KC really is as I recall Iverson getting regular layups against the best players in the world so it’s possible.
He may repeat it a time or two but the emphasis tonight for Texas Tech is to not let that happen. He will get more help D on him tonight. The key is for him to find the open man. I mean, I all for him making 11 layups a night if he can do it but I'm a realist.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
So Tennessee needs to find more consistency from their perimeter shooting but Bama is once again shooting the lights out???

Bama: 34.7% from 3 as a team, 3 games 38% or better, 5 games 32% or worse.

Tennessee: 36.2% from 3 as a team, 4 games 42% or better, 3 games 26% or worse.

The problem is that they have three Chandlers. That is - all of their guards can either shoot the three over their defender or put it on the floor and drive to the rim and finish. Chandler can do that. Vescovi and Powell can do the first but not the second. ZZ can do the second but not the first. They spread you out and isolate their man in a one on one battle, and do it all game long. It they're hitting threes there is no stopping them. That's what they did to Zaga. I'm thinking someone needs to figure out a defense to stop them before we play them again, which is soon.

The problem is that they have three Chandlers. That is - all of their guards can either shoot the three over their defender or put it on the floor and drive to the rim and finish. Chandler can do that. Vescovi and Powell can do the first but not the second. ZZ can do the second but not the first. They spread you out and isolate their man in a one on one battle, and do it all game long. It they're hitting threes there is no stopping them. That's what they did to Zaga. I'm thinking someone needs to figure out a defense to stop them before we play them again, which is soon.
Vescovi has been beating his man quite a lot this year actually, been a benefit of him playing the 2 and even 3 some.

Reactions: walkenvol
Vescovi has been beating his man quite a lot this year actually, been a benefit of him playing the 2 and even 3 some.

Yes, he gets a step on his man on he way to the bucket, and then he passes off or shoots a mid-range, he does not take it all the way to the rim and score. He is a definite threat to hit the three if you play off of him. He has also been living off the give and go, nicely scoring layups by moving without the ball. But I'm talking about taking your man one on one and getting by him and scoring at the rim. The Bama guards do it all day long. And if you take the drive away from them, they hit the three with great enough frequency to hurt you.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back