BTO’s Auburn postgame report

Well, sir--maybe you should spend some time trying to understand the context of my original post--which was a response to VolSportsFan's post.

We barely beat Bama at home, and managed to lose 2 games on the road when we had the lead for the majority of those games and failed to close them out.

Those losses are disappointing, but as BruinVol posted above, not BAD losses when considering the overall trajectory of this season, which is still in progress.

As one who is NOT a BB expert such as yourself, those 2 road losses (LSU, Auburn) appear to me to be an indication that this team will not make it out of the sweet 16, much less the F4.

I WANT to believe....and I WANT them to fly the ORANGE all the way to the F4.

I still fail to see how your comment about DUKE was relevant to this thread.

On another note--do any of you really expect our VOLS to beat KY in Nashville? It's an honest and sincere question--especially if #22 is healthy and starts for KY.

I don’t understand this. As you say, we can be disappointed at the outcome. You then say they aren’t bad losses, but they show that they aren’t a FF team. Well, if they aren’t bad, then how does that mean they can’t succeed in the future? I am having trouble reconciling your post.

A road loss to a top 25 NET ranked team is not an indicator of making the FF unless you just think we can’t close out games. Then we have the Gonzaga, Florida, Vandy, and Ole Miss as road/neutral games that we closed out close wins. We won’t play another road game again.

Yes, we have a team that can beat UK on a neutral floor.

Auburn is a team that's capable of beating anyone in the country. Hopefully they make a run in the SEC tournament and take out LSU.

Needed a stop and got a solid block only to have it go directly to a wide open auburn player that hits the open three. What are you gonna do? Yes, one play can’t define a whole game but that was an absolute dagger. Had we come away with the ball I think we have a very good chance of winning the game. Again, we played poor perimeter defense all game but to have a chance to win, get the stop and just have it fall in an Auburn player’s lap is just bad luck. That’s the way it goes. I still think this is the best TN team in history and I’ve really enjoyed watching them play this year. New season begins now and I know that nobody has higher expectations for this team than the players themselves. Gonna be a fun ride indeed.

15-3 is a record we'd all have been estatic with when the season started. Anyone throwing shade on that is crazy

I think most reasonable UT fans will look back at the overall record and SEC record with a lot of pride and satisfaction. What I think has folks being a bit upset and down is the fact that we were certainly in a position to win another regular season championship and let it slip away. We see opportunity with this team that, frankly, we just don't get very often at UT. We actually have a team that can win the SEC regular season, SECT and make a very deep run in the NCAAT.

We aren't a cinderella. We're a legit contender this year. Most fans...myself included...see a rare opportunity for our program to do something special and feel it slipping away. Fans really want to seize this opportunity because we know how difficult for UT to actually be in this position. We aren't UK, Duke, UNC who make this sort of thing a habit annually. We just don't get these chances very often and to see the team squander the regular season title is upsetting. At some point, I hope our team suddenly realizes that we can't roll the ball out there and win. I hope they find that edge and sense of urgency and that they find it quick.

From this point on, it's win or go home. If they keep playing up and down defensively and keep settling for the 3 ball, we'll all be looking back playing the coulda, woulda, shoulda game. As a player who has worked so damned hard and so very long to be in this position, I just can't imagine how they wouldn't want to seize the moment and take full advantage of this opportunity. Again, there is no "dominant" team this year. We have every bit the chance to make the final 4 as anyone else. To squander it just seems so stupid. Not sure what it's going to take to wake this team up, but there are no second chances or tomorrows from here on out.

Ahh, another poster from who got his entire post wrong.

Duke also finished 3rd in the ACC. I guess they suck too.

It's fans like you that deserve to cheer for mediocrity because you can't enjoy success. People like yourself would somehow find fault in an undefeated season, so no one really cares about your opinion on our 27-4 year.

“People like yourself”... Really man? Can we not have difference of opinion in a civilized conversation?

Fact is, losing to Kentucky, LSU, and Auburn should raise some concern considering we’ve all been praising this team as “great” all year long. Based on our record against top notch opponents it is fair to conclude that we are GOOD, not great. There’s nothing wrong with that and certainly doesn’t make one any less of a fan by coming to that conclusion.

“People like yourself”... Really man? Can we not have difference of opinion in a civilized conversation?

Fact is, losing to Kentucky, LSU, and Auburn should raise some concern considering we’ve all been praising this team as “great” all year long. Based on our record against top notch opponents it is fair to conclude that we are GOOD, not great. There’s nothing wrong with that and certainly doesn’t make one any less of a fan by coming to that conclusion.
They split with Kentucky and lost close games to LSU and Auburn which were both on the road... No way either one of those teams would have won in TBA. The schedule worked against us just a little bit. We will see how it works out on a neutral court. Like I've said before, I love our chances in Nashville.

Reactions: cncchris33
They split with Kentucky and lost close games to LSU and Auburn which were both on the road... No way either one of those teams would have won in TBA. The schedule worked against us just a little bit. We will see how it works out on a neutral court. Like I've said before, I love our chances in Nashville.

Good points.

Sure, I guess we'll focus on those four losses on the road or neutral sites and let them define our entire season, and just simply forget about those wins vs Kentucky at home, and Gonzaga and Louisville on neutral courts.

I have no problem with a difference in opinion so long as it is a fair discussion. We have four losses to NCAAT teams, three of which ranked in the top 13. How many NCAAT teams have we beaten?

For me, it's a matter of perspective. I'm old enough to remember how much is sucked to cheer for Wade Houston, Kevin O'Neill, and Buzz Peterson coached teams to let four losses ruin a great season. Those who can't remember that fact either ridiculously demand perfection or foolishly believe Tennessee is an elite program that just rolls the ball out on the court and win 27 games on the regular.

Reactions: TheTennMan
Another point to add on the schedule; what if we had started the conference portion of our schedule with the last seven games as our first seven instead? We start the conference 4-3 in SEC play, 16-4 and then close out winning 11 straight to finish 15-3 in SEC play, and 27-4 overall.

How many of those complaining now are slobbering all over us and how hot we are heading into the tournament portion of the season? Wins and losses didn't change, just the order in which they came. Those same people are likely having a much different discussion.

So 18-0 in the conference and 30-1 overall is all you would have accepted to not have "concern". And "concern" about what?

Fabrication. You ladies are something else.

It's actually a fair question. We lost 4 games all year. If you are concerned, that means you expected us to lose 2 or less. Is that reasonable? I guess that's what is up for debate.

We are very good and can compete with any team in the country. Now, let's see if they can do it during tournament time.

Reactions: TheTennMan
It's actually a fair question. We lost 4 games all year. If you are concerned, that means you expected us to lose 2 or less. Is that reasonable? I guess that's what is up for debate.

We are very good and can compete with any team in the country. Now, let's see if they can do it during tournament time.
This. Bottom line, we finished with a better overall record than projected, and almost exactly where we were predicted both nationally, and in the SEC. If that disappoints you, find another team to cheer for. We don't need you.

VN Store

Back