BTO’s Auburn postgame report

No, I think their expectation was 32-0 and a natty - anything less and Vols bball was a disappointment. Same group shows up in the fball forum each season also. Jack wagons probably never played any sport at a highly competitive level and have no idea of the concept of competition

Reactions: VolGee4
Duke is playing without their BEST player, sir.

And please explain to me HOW DUKE has anything to do with us losing 3 of our last 7 SEC games?

I just wonder how bad it would be if we would've lost Williams for the last 5 SEC games?
So you don't think Duke is a F4 team with their remaining roster of 4 and 5 star players? The post I responded to didn't say Tn, it said F4 caliber. Maybe you should be more specific.

There seems to be Posters saying that a disappointing loss must also means it's a bad loss. That not true. It's a disappointing loss because of what was a stake not because there was shame in losing to a top 20
Team on the road

So should Tennessee have gone 29-2 this year? According to many we should’ve beaten LSU and definitely Auburn, so anything less than 29-2 means we had bad losses and disappointing?
Nope, anything less than an sec championship was a disappointment for this team, simple as that.

Reactions: livefaith
Not sure I understand Point #5. UK didn't play us on SR night, Mississippi State did. But to your point, it's tough to beat a good team on SR day. Add to that the Pearl-Tennessee factor, the tornado factor, and it's just tough to beat good teams on the road.

To Point #2, totally agree. I understand that the plan has been to date teams to beat you from 3, and ot has mostly been a successful theory. However, you had to know it was a super risky approach against a team like Auburn., especially at home where they are most comfortable. Bad gameplan, IMO.

-Grant obviously needed more looks inside, and Bowden could have been more aggressive since he was on fire. The biggest offensive problem was that we just went cold in the 2nd half and turned the ball over way too much. 14 Assists to 13 TOs. Very careless with the ball.

-Defensively, we just didn't create TOs and make AU uncomfortable. They are going to shoot 3s regardless, so we could have at least made them uncomfortable doing it rather than allowing multiple open looks. Still, even that would have probably won us the game had we not given up 10-12 points on uncontested drives to the bucket.

-Silver lining is we dominated the boards., 39-27, as we should have, and only gave up 7 ORebs.

I predicted a 4-3 finish, and that is exactly what we got. Even lost the 3 games I expected us to lose, so this doesn't upset me. Schedule was backloaded and if spread out thru the season, this looks much less damning. A 27-4 regular season is still something to be proud of.
3rd place in the SEC when you win 20+ games in a row is NOT something to be proud of!!

So you don't think Duke is a F4 team with their remaining roster of 4 and 5 star players? The post I responded to didn't say Tn, it said F4 caliber. Maybe you should be more specific.

Well, sir--maybe you should spend some time trying to understand the context of my original post--which was a response to VolSportsFan's post.

We barely beat Bama at home, and managed to lose 2 games on the road when we had the lead for the majority of those games and failed to close them out.

Those losses are disappointing, but as BruinVol posted above, not BAD losses when considering the overall trajectory of this season, which is still in progress.

As one who is NOT a BB expert such as yourself, those 2 road losses (LSU, Auburn) appear to me to be an indication that this team will not make it out of the sweet 16, much less the F4.

I WANT to believe....and I WANT them to fly the ORANGE all the way to the F4.

I still fail to see how your comment about DUKE was relevant to this thread.

On another note--do any of you really expect our VOLS to beat KY in Nashville? It's an honest and sincere question--especially if #22 is healthy and starts for KY.

3rd place in the SEC when you win 20+ games in a row is NOT something to be proud of!!
We're 4 years out of a dumpster fire program. I'm quite proud of this team.
We lost 3 of our last 7 playing 2 and 3 star guys.
Duke a perrenial P5 f4 team lost 3 of their last 7 playing 4 5 stars and 2 4s. Now who should not be proud?

Reactions: TheTennMan
There seems to be Posters saying that a disappointing loss must also means it's a bad loss. That not true. It's a disappointing loss because of what was a stake not because there was shame in losing to a top 20
Team on the road

Or we can also say that Auburn is a solid team and this would be a tough game while also saying anytime you blow a championship to an unranked team it’s bad.

Ahh, another poster from who got his entire post wrong.

Duke also finished 3rd in the ACC. I guess they suck too.

It's fans like you that deserve to cheer for mediocrity because you can't enjoy success. People like yourself would somehow find fault in an undefeated season, so no one really cares about your opinion on our 27-4 year.

Wouldn't one think that a FINAL FOUR caliber team would've found a way to win on the road?

Seriously, do you people hold EVERY team to this standard? Because if you did, you'd determine that apparently EVERY team that is in the Top 15 sucks because they'd dropped games they should have won.

Well, sir--maybe you should spend some time trying to understand the context of my original post--which was a response to VolSportsFan's post.

We barely beat Bama at home, and managed to lose 2 games on the road when we had the lead for the majority of those games and failed to close them out.

Those losses are disappointing, but as BruinVol posted above, not BAD losses when considering the overall trajectory of this season, which is still in progress.

As one who is NOT a BB expert such as yourself, those 2 road losses (LSU, Auburn) appear to me to be an indication that this team will not make it out of the sweet 16, much less the F4.

I WANT to believe....and I WANT them to fly the ORANGE all the way to the F4.

I still fail to see how your comment about DUKE was relevant to this thread.

On another note--do any of you really expect our VOLS to beat KY in Nashville? It's an honest and sincere question--especially if #22 is healthy and starts for KY.
If you don't think TN is a F4 team then why the reference to it? I reference Duke because they had the #1 recruiting class in the country and still start 4 5star players even without Zion and lost 3 of their last 7 and had some close questionable wins. Last I checked we don't boast a top 100 player and have beaten teams with a lot more talent on their rosters. Personally I'll wait to crown us a f4 team in april if we get there.
Can we beat KY in Nashville? Sure we can if the refs call a fair game.

All year this team was built up as the best men’s basketball team UT has ever had, you don’t find coming in third place in the conference when we had two chances late in the season to do what great teams do which is win the ones that matter disappointing? Look I love our team, I’ll always root for them but college basketball is about hanging banners. Having a really good regular season is nice and I’ve enjoyed the team this year but it is what it is. They still have time to do some damage and make some noise but people have a right to be disappointed in the outcome of yesterday just as much as you have the right not to be disappointed.

Seriously, do you people hold EVERY team to this standard? Because if you did, you'd determine that apparently EVERY team that is in the Top 15 sucks because they'd dropped games they should have won.
Really, until yesterday, Tennessee and Virginia were the only two teams in the top 10 that hadn't had a head-scratching loss to an unranked conference team.

Gonzaga doesn't really play anyone in conference, so I excluded them.

Duke lost to Syracuse at home.
UNC was blown out by Louisville at home.
Michigan State lost to Indiana at home and on on the road, and then to Illinois.
Michigan lost to Iowa and Penn State.
UK lost to Alabama.
Texas Tech lost to Iowa State and Baylor.
LSU lost to Florida at home.

What makes our resume so much different? One loss, on the road, to an unranked team who will comfortably make the NCAAT. We seriously have some of the worst fans, both from an expectation and knowledge standpoint.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
All year this team was built up as the best men’s basketball team UT has ever had, you don’t find coming in third place in the conference when we had two chances late in the season to do what great teams do which is win the ones that matter disappointing? Look I love our team, I’ll always root for them but college basketball is about hanging banners. Having a really good regular season is nice and I’ve enjoyed the team this year but it is what it is. They still have time to do some damage and make some noise but people have a right to be disappointed in the outcome of yesterday just as much as you have the right not to be disappointed.
The game yesterday is suddenly not disappointing if LSU lost to Vanderbilt, that’s the issue with your stance.

It certainly wouldn’t have been as disappointing from the stand point of we would still get a banner? Where is the problem?

That by making it all about a banner you literallly are putting whether our season was a success or disappointment squarely on the shoulders of 2 teams nether of which are Tennessee. I’m sorry but one game between LSU and Vanderbilt shouldn’t swing you all the way from “omg this was such a disappointment” to “hell yea we had such a great year”, THAT is the problem.

Reactions: cncchris33
Were you predicting the 2018-19 Vols to be the best Tennessee team in history 2 years ago? You know, when we were coming off of a losing season and had a bunch of unheralded freshmen that ranked miles outside anyone's top-100 rankings?

Or, are you now changing the narrative because they grossly outplayed their projection from 2 years ago, and now, w years later after the regular season, are positioned exactly where they were picked to finish in the preseason top-25 rankings and SEC standings?

Is it disappointing that we didn't win? Yeah, of course. But I bet you have no idea what it's like to be a Tennessee fan under Wade Houston and Buzz Peterson. Those of you that came on the scene when Pearl was here were born in third base and act like you hit a triple. It isn't your birthright to have a top-10 basketball team. If you want they hype and expectations that come with that, go cheer for Duke or Kentucky. Give me a break.

That by making it all about a banner you literallly are putting whether our season was a success or disappointment squarely on the shoulders of 2 teams nether of which are Tennessee. I’m sorry but one game between LSU and Vanderbilt shouldn’t swing you all the way from “omg this was such a disappointment” to “hell yea we had such a great year”, THAT is the problem.
Hell yeah we've had a great season so far. I think most who are questioning our success weren't here 5 years ago in the middle of the smoldering ashes our program had become.

Reactions: walkenvol
First of all it was squarely in our guys control to start the day, they screwed it up and I wouldn’t have been thrilled about that either way. That being said sure I still would have taken the championship any way we could get it. And yes when 1 game is the difference between winning a championship and not the one game makes a huge difference in whether it was disappointing or not, I mean do you know how sports works? That’s like saying “ well gee we only lost by 1 point, your telling me that 1 point makes such a big difference to you?” In the context of sports yeah, it means everything. You either win or you don’t. Again I like our team, I’m not down on them but I am disappointed in the fact they didn’t get it done. Heck most of my disappointment is for them, I’m sure they are very disappointed because I know that was their goal.

Or we can also say that Auburn is a solid team and this would be a tough game while also saying anytime you blow a championship to an unranked team it’s bad.

It's bad yea disappointing

Not a bad loss in terms of the connect "bad loss" is always discussed in the regular season

First of all it was squarely in our guys control to start the day, they screwed it up and I wouldn’t have been thrilled about that either way. That being said sure I still would have taken the championship any way we could get it. And yes when 1 game is the difference between winning a championship and not the one game makes a huge difference in whether it was disappointing or not, I mean do you know how sports works? That’s like saying “ well gee we only lost by 1 point, your telling me that 1 point makes such a big difference to you?” In the context of sports yeah, it means everything. You either win or you don’t. Again I like our team, I’m not down on them but I am disappointed in the fact they didn’t get it done. Heck most of my disappointment is for them, I’m sure they are very disappointed because I know that was their goal.

15-3 and come in 3rd, 13-5 last year and hang a banner...thinking it might be you that doesn’t quite understand sports/expectations. Tennessee pretty much met/exceeded all preseason expectations placed on them, take a lap.

VN Store

Back