BTO’s Auburn postgame report

IMO comes down to turnovers and Turner's misfires. I thought the three's were well defended for the most part.

I agree. They just played well and hit their 3s. Sometimes that is going to happen. The TOs and not going to Grant were the two biggest problems IMO. I think it is time to start Bowden and move Turner to the bench.

We had an 11 point lead in the 1st half and we got a little too comfortable at the end of that half and our lead was cut to 6. We did not play a good 2nd half too many TO's and it seemed that many of them were unforced errors by the Vols. Our very good D from the final two home games was MIA especially in the 2nd half. Also agree that we were too enamored with 3's and that is not our game.

Well Auburn gets the #4 seed and a depleted LSU team to play while TN and KY duke it out on the other side of the bracket.

That's a great point.

Not really.

UK lost to us, LSU, and Alabama. They must not really be that good.
LSU lost to Arkansas and Florida at home and needed how many OT games to win? (Not to mention cheating).

We haven't lost to a team this season outside of the NET top 20. Some of the posts we've seen today would lead you to think we were a bubble team. Don't understand why it's so hard for some people to enjoy success when we've been in the gutter so long.

“We lost the conference championship but in the grand scheme of things this isn’t a bad loss” is such a loser attitude to have. Call a spade a freaking spade. It was a bad loss. Auburn is good and road conference games are tough, but we blew a championship to an unranked team, it’s a bad loss.

The play Barnes drew up down 4 with 20 seconds was garbage. Not having Bone drive to the bucket and instead having Turner pass to him for a 25 footer was a bad play.

Now, if Admiral doesn’t get in foul trouble and Turner is meh instead of horrible, UT wins. But once defensive execution was bad. Anytime that hallways moves the ball well exposes Tennessee. 13-34 on 3’s is bad and Barnes seemed to be content with them chucking up 3’s.

This team can win the SECT and make the Final Four and be the best team in school history but the Vols blew a huge opportunity today. They should have won.

Last edited:
We haven't lost to a team this season outside of the NET top 20. Some of the posts we've seen today would lead you to think we were a bubble team. Don't understand why it's so hard for some people to enjoy success when we've been in the gutter so long.

Because we blew a chance at a championship today, that’s why. It was not a good day.

Auburn defended us the way I would if I was coaching on the other bench.

They didn't double Grant and played us straight up. The supporting staff killed them the first part of the game but sustain it.

Rick Barnes said we had an incredible amount of turnovers and yes, I noticed they were unaware of the clock several times (and Schofield was in foul trouble. LSU is an underserving team, and my heart is broken for the VOLS.

Reactions: Catbone and FlVols
I think Bone is too the point where we need to spread the floor and let him go late in shot clocks.

I think in this game he could have scored at will late if we had gotten the middle unclogged

We are 4-3 down the stretch, including a miracle finish at Ole Miss. This team needs to realize that they are a top 15 team, that can win it all, and that could also lose it's second game in the tournament.
Top 15? Lost all games away/neutral sites. 2 in overtime. It's basketball...somebody brings their A game you can lose anytime. I want LSU, I want KY, I want Duke, and I want Holyfield!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_7425.JPG
    IMG_7425.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: The Dog
BTO - you’re #3 is big IMHO. There is a lot of parity amongst the top 25 teams such that it often comes down to just a couple of plays deciding who wins. We can’t afford fo Turner to be taking so many shots off the dribble. When he plays within the flow of the offense and takes jumpers from an assist then he’s really tough. But, he’s trying to do too much and those misses on bad shots are turn overs.

TN lost their games on the road or at a neutral site. Two of our games we lost in overtime. Just saying the the only "bad" loss we had was 16-17pts to KY at Rupp. I think that deserves higher praise than top 15. Better?

Last edited:
TN lost all their games on the road or at a neutral site. Two of our games we lost in overtime. Just saying the the only "bad" loss we had was 16-17pts to KY at Rupp. I think that deserves higher praise than top 15. Better?

No it's not because we didn't lose all our road or neutral site games

Reactions: TC 83
Kind of stupid. We played UK twice and traded ass whippings, and only played Auburn and LSU at their places and lost one by 2 in OT and by 4 at Auburn.

Nothing stupid about his assessment. Good teams would have split. Great teams would have won both. We didn’t do either. This team might prove otherwise - they certainly have the potential to do that - but until they do, what can we reasonably expect? More of the same?

We’re all hopeful that this VOLS team will break thru. Go VOLS!

Per ESPN boxscores LT's 3pt stats last 7 games
1-8 Auburn
0-3 Miss St
0-4 Kentucky
1-4 Ole Miss
1-7 LSU
3-9 Vandy
0-7 Kentucky
--------
6-42

Please LT police yourself and quit shooting 3's. Please.

I think he should keep shooting them but cut it off when it clearly isn't his night. He made his first one today and then wouldn't let it go after that.

Reactions: VOLuntary
Per ESPN boxscores LT's 3pt stats last 7 games
1-8 Auburn
0-3 Miss St
0-4 Kentucky
1-4 Ole Miss
1-7 LSU
3-9 Vandy
0-7 Kentucky
--------
6-42

Please LT police yourself and quit shooting 3's. Please.
I think he is still having shoulder problems and maybe just not saying anything about it. Something is just not right.

Reactions: Volle and VOLuntary
Nothing stupid about his assessment. Good teams would have split. Great teams would have won both. We didn’t do either. This team might prove otherwise - they certainly have the potential to do that - but until they do, what can we reasonably expect? More of the same?

We’re all hopeful that this VOLS team will break thru. Go VOLS!

It is if he doesn't apply it to every team. Like I said, based on his assessment, what is UK? What is LSU? What is Auburn? I guess they all suck then.

Reactions: walkenvol
Lol at bad loss

Blew a chance to win a championship today, what else defines a bad loss?

I would love to see what your response would be if Tennessee loses in the second round of the NCAAT. “Well, I know we lost to a 7 seed today but the committee and numbers say that is a quad 1 team we lost to so it’s not a bad loss.”

VN Store

Back