Bryson Eason ready to be 'old-school linebacker' for Vols

View attachment 286037

The Vols are losing one hulking inside linebacker with Daniel Bituli moving to the NFL, but Eason will fill that void and he's proud of being the bigger kind of linebacker who plugs gaps against the run, chases down ballcarriers and tackles with power. During his conversation with GoVols247, Eason referenced one of the Steelers' linebackers, presumably Levon Kirkland, the two-time Pro Bowl selection in the 1990s who wreaked havoc on offenses as a 6-foot-1, 275-pound linebacker (or so he was listed).

“(My weight) doesn’t really matter to me, because there was an old-school linebacker, I forgot his name, played for the Steelers, he was a [pretty big] dude, but he was getting that, though,” Eason said. “They loved him. It really didn’t matter, he was making plays still with all that weight on him. As long as it’s not holding me back, I’m fine with it, and I don’t really care what anyone has to say, because I’m out there playing, not them."
Bryson Eason ready to be 'old-school linebacker' for Vols
th57KA2KV6.jpg

Coaches decision, but it I would let this kid get first crack beside To'oto'o. Crouch will play both OLB and ILB so I'm not worried about him "starting". Jeremy Banks looked better than Henry T early in the season before the trouble and he will obviously be a factor there if he is indeed back.

But when you look at our losses and why we lost. 1) erratic offense.
2) WE COULDN'T STOP THE RUN.

OLB K Bennett 6'2 245
ILB B Eason 6'2 270
MLB H To'oto'o 6'3 240
OLB Q Crouch 6'2 247
DE A Solomon 6'4 300
NT G Emerson 6'3 310
DE D Middleton 6'7 312
...Goes along way into stopping the run

Reactions: butchna
Coaches decision, but it I would let this kid get first crack beside To'oto'o. Crouch will play both OLB and ILB so I'm not worried about him "starting". Jeremy Banks looked better than Henry T early in the season before the trouble and he will obviously be a factor there if he is indeed back.

But when you look at our losses and why we lost. 1) erratic offense.
2) WE COULDN'T STOP THE RUN.

OLB K Bennett 6'2 245
ILB B Eason 6'2 270
MLB H To'oto'o 6'3 240
OLB Q Crouch 6'2 247
DE A Solomon 6'4 300
NT G Emerson 6'3 310
DE D Middleton 6'7 312
...Goes along way into stopping the run
On that front, a second season of being mainstays should see Solomon, Emerson and Middleton not only STOPPING runs (like the leading rusher in the SEC at Mississippi State who would’ve set career marks against the previous 10 squads) but pushing that pocket BACKWARDS. Didn’t really even have a feel for what they were doing before midseason. Plus little to no drop in our 3-4 deep with returnees like Gooden. New strengths will develop playing off that imo.

Maybe this makes more sense.....To'o To'o had 15 tackles in the first 2 games and Banks had 4....
Henry T actually got benched for a quarter against GA state. He was playing so bad. 1st college game. Not surprising.

He had 17 over then 1st 3 games.

Banks had 7 tackles and 2 ints before getting into trouble over the same 3 games

But lets not count the ints right?? All those did was give our offense the ball back.

It's absolutely ridiculous you've carried it this far. It was a subjective comment that I said based on what I saw.

On that front, a second season of being mainstays should see Solomon, Emerson and Middleton not only STOPPING runs (like the leading rusher in the SEC at Mississippi State who would’ve set career marks against the previous 10 squads) but pushing that pocket BACKWARDS. Didn’t really even have a feel for what they were doing before midseason. Plus little to no drop in our 3-4 deep with returnees like Gooden. New strengths will develop playing off that imo.

It took them a bit to catch on early on because none of them.had played really.
But now like we've both said...were 3 deep at DL now.

Also guys like Bumphis and Middleton lineup at OLB sometimes to have 5 heavy guys to stop the run.

Crouch seems to probably be the safe choice right now? But Eason is a true MLB that won't take long catch on. He's been playing in the 3-4 all through high school.

Then just rotate Crouch with To'oto'o or Banks too. OLB Crouch, Harrison, Bennett, Johnson, Joseph, Baron who is also 260

It took them a bit to catch on early on because none of them.had played really.
But now like we've both said...were 3 deep at DL now.

Also guys like Bumphis and Middleton lineup at OLB sometimes to have 5 heavy guys to stop the run.

Crouch seems to probably be the safe choice right now? But Eason is a true MLB that won't take long catch on. He's been playing in the 3-4 all through high school.

Then just rotate Crouch with To'oto'o or Banks too. OLB Crouch, Harrison, Bennett, Johnson, Joseph, Baron who is also 260
Waves of well coached physical talent. Almost like Pruitt is running some familiar model. 😉

No. Please stop.

I've always thought Banks would be back and I'm one of the ones that has suffered alot of ridicule on here for defending Banks relative to his reinstatement.

Pruitt has asserted at least a few times that he prefers Q at OLB. Hes also said on numerous occasions he likes kids that can play both-(understandable...)

One has to think in the next few weeks they'll have to be an announcement on JB, and if he is in fact reinstated, I think he'll win the starting job opposite HT with Q starting at OLB.

Pruitt on Banks: "he can be one of the best linebackers I've ever coached"..considering who he's coached as a positional ILB coach, I think that's a pretty substantial statement and one worth noting.

I'll say this also: Bryson Eason is the real deal. Hes gonna have to watch his weight a little, but hes a "thumper", run stopper, and surprisingly fast from sideline to sideline. His best quality besides knocking the hell out of people is his awareness. Hes extremely cerebral and seems like a leader and a great teammate.

Last edited:
I've always thought Banks would be back and I'm one of the ones that has suffered alot of ridicule on here for defending Banks relative to his reinstatement.

Pruitt has asserted at least a few times that he prefers Q at OLB. Hes also said on numerous occasions he likes kids that can play both-(understandable...)

One has to think in the next few weeks they'll have to be an announcement on JB, and if he is in fact reinstated, I think he'll win the starting job opposite HT with Q starting at OLB.

Pruitt on Banks: "he can be one of the best linebackers I've ever coached"..considering who he's coached as a positional ILB coach, I think that's a pretty substantial statement and one worth noting.

Atlantis Vol said he's a 100 percent "go".

With Banks back in the fold, I don't think he will start game one. But he'll earn it back by game 3 imo. He has the best skillset of any of them. And we have a slew of talented Linebackers. A potential All-American type in Henry T.

Morven Joseph and Roman Harrison are two I want to see on the field at the same time.

With Banks back in the fold, I don't think he will start game one. But he'll earn it back by game 3 imo. He has the best skillset of any of them. And we have a slew of talented Linebackers. A potential All-American type in Henry T.

Morven Joseph and Roman Harrison are two I want to see on the field at the same time.
I think Tyler Baron will eventually be a force at Edge. By eventually I mean midway through his first season.

I'm with you LV on Banks. I hope Roman is ready to take the next step in being an edge setter and pass rusher. I'd be more optimistic with him had we had spring practice.

I'll be a little more patient with Joseph. While I'm really excited about his athleticism as a pass rusher, I'm a little worried if he has enough lead in his butt to have a consistent impact next season. We'll see though...

Last edited:
I think Tyler Baron will eventually be a force at Edge. By eventually I mean midway through his first season.

I agree, but I'm interested to see what happens with his body. I think he'll eventually be a player with his hand down in Pruitts scheme. He's really ideal as a 4-3 DE, but will begin as an OLB in Pruitts defense probably playing K. Bennetts position. I know we've played a base 4-2-5 pretty consistently the last few years because of the personell he's inherited. However, it's also obvious he's been recruiting kids defensively that fit the scheme he wants to play. My prediction is he'll eventually be an NFL talent at 6-4 275 ish from Aubrey Solomon/Matthew Butlers position in our defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I agree, but I'm interested to see what happens with his body. I think he'll eventually be a player with his hand down in Pruitts scheme. He's really ideal as a 4-3 DE, but will begin as an OLB in Pruitts defense probably playing K. Bennetts position. I know we've played a base 4-2-5 pretty consistently the last few years because of the personell he's inherited. However, it's also obvious he's been recruiting kids defensively that fit the scheme he wants to play. My prediction is he'll eventually be an NFL talent at 6-4 275 ish from Aubrey Solomon/Matthew Butlers position in our defense.
We don’t agree on the schematics here. I’ll leave it be.

Kid needs more cardio for sure. But the power is there. He's a hefty dude but he doesn't have a gut a 270 he's a powerhouse and just needs to strain an be able to use that power every snap. And he's probably a 4.7 guy...he's a monster

6'2" 255 is probably his ideal weight at LB
How do you know he needs more cardio? I think he'll be fine when he "puts on more steam"

Reactions: keenobserver

VN Store

Back