Bryce Thompson missed tackle

Who saw the pathetic tackle attempt he had on the QB? He literally rushed in and pushed him to a first down. On my team, he wouldn’t saw the field again. I can’t say what would have happened at practice Monday, it may be against the law....

He played a great game. Saying he should be benched on one play out of a whole game is dumb and proves you don’t know much about football in the first place.

Reactions: OG.V83 and butchna
I think the main point of OP was accountability. Need to hold All-Americans to higher standard.
Agree with that. But I'm sure our coaches will not take to the moronic peewee coaching approach of "you done messed up son, now you gonna earn your water for the day" ... doesn't work at ANY level much less NCAA

With the rules as strict as they are about touching quarterback, you can't expect teams to go in and " lay the wood " to the opposing QB anymore. It is almost always some type of a penalty unless you are Alabama or maybe Georgia. The rule makes a lot of players hesitant which causes a lot more missed tackles.

SHHHHH, Rick! We got folks on the board who prefer alternate facts to actual facts. And especially so those who want players with police encounters off the team automatically, but the coach opts otherwise. They like being judgmental instead of faithful. Lying in ambush to bash a player for the slightest error. Be careful and remember, shhhh with the facts. As for me, Vols Forever!!!!!!

I believe for every drop of rain that falls
A flower grows
I believe that somewhere in the darkest night
A candle glows
I believe for everyone who goes astray, someone will come
To show the way
I believe, I believe

Who saw the pathetic tackle attempt he had on the QB? He literally rushed in and pushed him to a first down. On my team, he wouldn’t saw the field again. I can’t say what would have happened at practice Monday, it may be against the law....

Gee Coach!!

It was pathetic ........... and soft. That's the kind of thing I never thought we would see with Pruitt as head coach. He is Mr. Defense, Toughness, Physicality, Grit & Grind. ............. or supposed to be.
Isn't this the same kid that has pulled that stunt in earlier games. That's embarrassing. This is the type of thing I see happening repeatedly that makes me doubt how well these guys are being coached - you would think that would result in this kid being chewed on during film sessions and then emphasized with tackling drills on the practice field afterwards.

He is so focused on shutting down receivers that he doesn't have anything left for tackling ??????????? Are you kidding me ??
That play required nothing more than going in hard with his right shoulder and knocking the QB sideways.
I saw a player that almost jumped off sides...Damn Pruitt

All the good things that happened in this game. All the solid performances by different players. Thompson played quite well himself. But the thread is about one play that was subpar. How hard is it for some people to enjoy a win?

Lol at the people who come on discussion boards not to discuss the actual topic, but to attack other posters.

LOL! When you post something as stupid as the OP did, you deserve to get attacked. In 9 years he starts this DA thread claiming Thompson would never play on his team.

Last edited:
That’s one reason you don’t coach. Players make errors. Our DBs and Safeties played well today. One play does not determine how a player played in the game.
One play may not always define But if it happens at a critical juncture in the game and it ends up costing your team a win then it does matter.

So the all-seeing TV camera captures a kid making a bonehead play. The announcer calls him out in a replay, magnifying the effect. Then a really smart pee wee coach wannabee starts a thread about it. Three pages later the greatest minds in East Tennessee sports history are still debating the deeper meaning of the original earth-shaking moment. Kinda makes you wish for less technological times when you missed what you might have saw because you were eating a hot dog and that was that. Well, at least until Monday when the projector whirred and the coaches ran it back and forth as a teaching moment that would be learned as it should. Yeah, I'm old and occasionally yearn for simpler times.

Last edited:
Taylor made some good tackles in run support after he got in there after some bench time. Might be time to let Thompson watch awhile.

If you believe Bryce Thompson shouldn't see the field because he didn't wrap up on that sack, you haven't been watching the last two games....Or, you know nothing about football.....he could possibly be our best player on defense...I get it, you think he's a "thug".....dont let your personal bias cloud what your eyes see......he breaks up passes all over the field, he broke up at least 2 in the endzone last week against GA....he makes open field tackles, he plays man coverage like NFL corners.......just stop it

To be frank, I think tackling is a diminishing skill all across football. From JV to NFL. People just want to hit hard and knock down instead of wrapping up and driving. I would say Thompson has just seen too many NFL games.

No to "not on the field again".... Today make him watch the film of that play til he wants to or does puke.
In other games yesterday guys got "shown up all over the place" and stayed with it to make really big plays later in the game. On example, the d-back for LSU who "stumbled around" for most of the game, then made "the play of the defensive game for LSU" late. The announcers talked about his game and "the play" saying you just have to keep working and good things will happen.

Reactions: vols40
With the rules as strict as they are about touching quarterback, you can't expect teams to go in and " lay the wood " to the opposing QB anymore. It is almost always some type of a penalty unless you are Alabama or maybe Georgia. The rule makes a lot of players hesitant which causes a lot more missed tackles.

On a somewhat related note... On at least 5-6 different qb scrambles that Shrader kid dove head first into a group of Tennessee defenders. It never happened but every time he did it I was expecting some accidental contact to the head followed by a penalty on us and an ejection.

I’ve been saying for 2-3 years now that some of the onus in preventing these hits to the head needs to fall on the offense. If a defender propels himself at a ball carrier and hits him in the head (even if the ball carrier’s head has moved since the defender launched) it’s a penalty and ejection. If a ball carrier propels his head at a group of defenders it’s perfectly okay.

Last edited:

Case in point. Did you see the "hit" of the FLa QB last night where he threw the interception near the end of the game that went back 50 or so yards. (would have sealed the game for LSU). He was "brushed" high on the hip by a shoulder pad, call was roughing the passer. BS call. This and the holding calls are becoming farces and yes some teams seem to have a better "record" than others where these calls made. Much like some major league pitchers have a much more "liberal" strike zone than most.

A Georgia DB has a pretty good wrap up form tackle on Maurer the previous week, that de-cleated the young man, and separated him from the ball.

Just tackle, guys. Enough with the shoulder checks.

Not buying it. They are not going to penalize a solid, shoulder & arm-wrap tackle. What our guy did was just plain lazy.

I used to agree, but after the penalty for the low hit on Trask in the LSU game I feel like they need no contact jersys for QBs. I totally understand why we didnt lay him out.

It should also be noted Bryce weighs like 180 lbs and the MSST qbs weighs like 220. Just saying maybe bulldozing him wasnt an option.

I think that's mostly it. He's being asked to do things that aren't quite natural for him.

Strange to say, but if he looks like nobody ever taught him how to tackle, maybe nobody ever taught him how to tackle.

He has whiffed several times this year not wrapping up.

VN Store

Back