Bryce Drew and Avery Johnson

Johnson was fired yesterday. Kennedy at A&M was already fired, Will Wade might still be fired at LSU. I personally don't think vandy should have fired Drew, I know 0-18 is terrible, but give him a year to make significant progress.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Johnson was fired yesterday. Kennedy at A&M was already fired, Will Wade might still be fired at LSU. I personally don't think vandy should have fired Drew, I know 0-18 is terrible, but give him a year to make significant progress.

Disagree. Dude had top recruits all on that team. I know Garland was the big one, but they also had two other 5* players as well. He'd been there 3 years and only got worse each year even after he upgraded the talent level. That's a bad coach in any sport.

I am a little surprised at Avery. They are probably taking heat because of how well Bruce Pearl is doing at Auburn.

They sat there with their thumbs up their crimson arseholes while the Barn hired him away. Too stupid to pull the trigger themselves. I'm really really really glad CBP did not land there!

Breaks my ever lovin' heart for Bama. ;)

Now, that job could be pretty lucrative to someone. Avery has loaded up some good talent.

0-18 (0-19 if you count the SECT) is terrible. He recruited way too well to let one guy destroy the season like that.

I am shocked Vandy pulled the trigger so quickly. I thought he would get another year at least with the injuries. I never thought he or Avery Johnson were very good coaches.
He had 3 years, and they steadily got worse each year. Him landing Garland to begin with was kind of a fluke because of the pre-existing relationship he had as his AAU coach when he was a kid. Is that repeatable? He also got Shittu, another 5-star, but he played nothing remotely like one.

Generally speaking, SEC schools just have higher expectations in basketball now. If this was 10 years ago, perhaps Drew gets another year. Drew was fired, Avery Johnson was fired, and A&M already fired Kennedy even though he made it to the Sweet Sixteen twice in 3 years. A&M isn't even a basketball school and hasn't been a good basketball school historically, but they've made it clear that Sweet Sixteens mixed in with below .500 years where you miss the tournament isn't acceptable.

We as Vols have experience with this...we ran Cuonzo off after 3 years with a .615 conference winning percentage and Sweet Sixteen run in his third year. What used to be considered good enough isn't good enough anymore.

Reactions: sport3500
If Wade goes because of cheating that is four positions open in the SEC. Some high paying jobs Avery was making 3 million. I wonder who is interested in taking on the SEC 18 game battle royal.

He had 3 years, and they steadily got worse each year. Him landing Garland to begin with was kind of a fluke because of the pre-existing relationship he had as his AAU coach when he was a kid. Is that repeatable? He also got Shittu, another 5-star, but he played nothing remotely like one.

Generally speaking, SEC schools just have higher expectations in basketball now. If this was 10 years ago, perhaps Drew gets another year. Drew was fired, Avery Johnson was fired, and A&M already fired Kennedy even though he made it to the Sweet Sixteen twice in 3 years. A&M isn't even a basketball school and hasn't been a good basketball school historically, but they've made it clear that Sweet Sixteens mixed in with below .500 years where you miss the tournament isn't acceptable.

We as Vols have experience with this...we ran Cuonzo off after 3 years with a .615 conference winning percentage and Sweet Sixteen run in his third year. What used to be considered good enough isn't good enough anymore.
We ran Martin off because we were mediocre when the SEC was terrible, there was only 1 or 2 good teams in that time period and we still couldn't win consistently. After he made the sweet 16, we all wanted him to stay, but the damage was already done.

We ran Martin off because we were mediocre when the SEC was terrible, there was only 1 or 2 good teams in that time period and we still couldn't win consistently. After he made the sweet 16, we all wanted him to stay, but the damage was already done.
Our expectations had also been raised over what they were previously because of Pearl. In a 3 year period, missing the tournament 2 of them and then going on a somewhat flukish Sweet Sixteen run as one of last 4 teams in isn't good enough. Stuff like that was good enough for Tennessee basketball 20 years ago, but not anymore. I mean Buzz Peterson stuck around 4 years with zero tournament appearances and getting eliminated in the First Round of the NIT twice.

Lets not have another revisionist bash Zo debate. He had similar expectations and more success than Barnes his first two years. Got to the tourney and a Sweet 16 year three.

People just didn't like him for a multitude of reasons. Most non basketball related. Some due to style of play.

Reactions: Steven5198
Besides the surprising NCAA run that last Coach Martin team had they way underachieved. They had a lot of talent. Martin got a lot of credit for that run and took another job while the getting was good. Don't forget they almost got knocked out of the play in game that year. . Martin also knew he had recruited really badly and the cupboard was completely bare when he to the Cal job. He left Cal in pretty much the same shape when he went to Missouri. He knew to get out when the time was right. I have respect for Martin as a person, but not too much for his coaching ability.

Lets not have another revisionist bash Zo debate. He had similar expectations and more success than Barnes his first two years. Got to the tourney and a Sweet 16 year three.

People just didn't like him for a multitude of reasons. Most non basketball related. Some due to style of play.
Talk about revisionist history. Martin took over a very talented team with Stokes, Golden, Richardson, McCrae, Hall, Cameron Tatum, and Maymon. He didn't recruit very well when he was here. He also lost to college of Charleston, Oakland, and Austin Peay in his first year. Our PG barnes's first year was Armani Moore, who can barely dribble. I liked him pretty well, but to pretend he did anything but under- achieve here (and everywhere he's been) is just a blatant lie. He's a good person, and made really good men out of his players, but he's not a great coach.

Talk about revisionist history. Martin took over a very talented team with Stokes, Golden, Richardson, McCrae, Hall, Cameron Tatum, and Maymon. He didn't recruit very well when he was here. He also lost to college of Charleston, Oakland, and Austin Peay in his first year. Our PG barnes's first year was Armani Moore, who can barely dribble. I liked him pretty well, but to pretend he did anything but under- achieve here (and everywhere he's been) is just a blatant lie. He's a good person, and made really good men out of his players, but he's not a great coach.
That is wrong.

They were both picked next to last or last first year. Zo finished second in the SEC. and went to the NIT. Barnes was picked next to last or last and finished 12th.

"Martin took over a depleted roster with low expectations. After the departure of Tobias Harris following his freshman season, the Volunteers were picked to finish near the bottom of the SEC in 2011-12 . . . Martin took a team that had lost their top three—and seven of their top ten—contributors from the previous season to a second-place finish in the SEC "

Second year. Zo finished 4th and the best returning player sat out the year. Barnes finished 9th. Zo went to the NIT. Barnes no postseason.

Third year. Neither one ranked preseason. Zo won 21 games and finished one missed call from the Elite Eight. Third year Barnes won 26 but lost earlier in the tourney.

Barnes has and had just as much or more talent than Zo. We have more future NBA players and at least two possible first rounders now. Those teams had 0 first rounders and one regular NBA player.

They were young the first couple years. Its funny that people see that for Barnes but not Zo. For some reason people think Zo should have had his players playing like Sr and JR as freshmen but don't hold Barnes to that standard.

The rankings and wins can't be debated. There for anyone to see.

And I guess you forgot that Barnes lost to Chattanooga in YEAR TWO. Lost to George Washington and GT the year before. It happens to all coaches.

Just stop. Zo did just as well as Barnes the first three years. We didn't see year four. He recruited Stokes. The others did zero before he came. He also had Jaylen Brown on the way here. You should stop with the revisionist bs. Barnes inherited Admiral, five star Hubbs, and JC AA Punter.

Punter was the PG. No need to lie. You are twisting enough facts as it is.

Barnes is the best coach we have had by far. Zo did match or exceed what Barnes was praised for the first couple of years though. Its stupid.

That is wrong.

They were both picked next to last or last first year. Zo finished second in the SEC. and went to the NIT. Barnes was picked next to last or last and finished 12th.

"Martin took over a depleted roster with low expectations. After the departure of Tobias Harris following his freshman season, the Volunteers were picked to finish near the bottom of the SEC in 2011-12 . . . Martin took a team that had lost their top three—and seven of their top ten—contributors from the previous season to a second-place finish in the SEC "

Second year. Zo finished 4th and the best returning player sat out the year. Barnes finished 9th. Zo went to the NIT. Barnes no postseason.

Third year. Neither one ranked preseason. Zo won 21 games and finished one missed call from the Elite Eight. Third year Barnes won 26 but lost earlier in the tourney.

Barnes has and had just as much or more talent than Zo. We have more future NBA players and at least two possible first rounders now. Those teams had 0 first rounders and one regular NBA player.

They were young the first couple years. Its funny that people see that for Barnes but not Zo. For some reason people think Zo should have had his players playing like Sr and JR as freshmen but don't hold Barnes to that standard.

The rankings and wins can't be debated. There for anyone to see.

And I guess you forgot that Barnes lost to Chattanooga in YEAR TWO. Lost to George Washington and GT the year before. It happens to all coaches.

Just stop. Zo did just as well as Barnes the first three years. We didn't see year four. He recruited Stokes. The others did zero before he came. He also had Jaylen Brown on the way here. You should stop with the revisionist bs. Barnes inherited Admiral, five star Hubbs, and JC AA Punter.

Punter was the PG. No need to lie. You are twisting enough facts as it is.

Barnes is the best coach we have had by far. Zo did match or exceed what Barnes was praised for the first couple of years though. Its stupid.
People were frustrated with CM partly because of style of play and partly because they felt he did less with more. Great, high character coach, no doubt. Remember that our "almost elite 8 team" had to win a play in game to make it in.

VN Store

Back