Bringing my son up for his first game this weekend

The_Big_Orange

Right in the Vols!
I hope he is as excited as I am. šŸ˜‚

Heā€™s 9 and doesnā€™t really like to watch the games on TV. Itā€™s funny because he loves to play tackle football, and heā€™s pretty dang good, especially on defense, he just hasnā€™t really cared about watching tackle football. So letā€™s pray for the best.

Itā€™s been quite a few seasons now for me as well. Itā€™s a haul from where we are now. Anyway, hereā€™s to those first games! Go Vols!

Congrats! I remember when my parents took me to my first UT game - 2006 against Memphis at the Liberty Bowl, itā€™s definitely one of those memories you carry with you for a life time.

Reactions: Vols1498
I have many memories with my boys at Neyland. They grow up fast. Hope yours grows up to be a 5* linebacker. Vols could use one.

Reactions: cbvolsfan
If he gets bored, take him to get some food, let him pick out some merch, and create that good experience between you two that you want.

Also take him to the west side to see Gen Neyland's statue and then to the south side so he can see the river from the stadium. It's an image he will never forget.

One last suggestion to complete the experience. The north endzone upper deck will start to clear out towards the end of the game so there will be plenty of room. If you're still there, take him up there. He will have his own chair and a front row seat to the jumbotron and fireworks display at the end of the game. That was my family's favorite part of the night.

Heā€™s 9 and doesnā€™t really like to watch the games on TV. Itā€™s funny because he loves to play tackle football, and heā€™s pretty dang good, especially on defense, he just hasnā€™t really cared about watching tackle football. So letā€™s pray for the best.

Itā€™s been quite a few seasons now for me as well. Itā€™s a haul from where we are now. Anyway, hereā€™s to those first games! Go Vols!
I've taken my son to a couple games. Uk in 2018 was probably my favorite. It was cold, but he was a champ and loved the game. Normally, he would be bouncing everywhere when the games on but he was glued to the field when we went. You will have a blast Saturday.

Awesome! . .

Just make sure to go overboard on ways to keep you two warm. It would suck to have a great day ruined by being miserably cold. . .

I'd suggest quite a few hand warming packs. Maybe they sell butt-warming cushions, šŸ˜†. Also, battery powered socks . . .

I'm not sure if they allow you to bring in seat cushions or not. . . or if youd have enough time to order these before the game. . . they're also kinda expensive, but anyway:

Bench Warmer Battery Heated Stadium Seat Cushion

Not sure if you can do it, but see about getting a paper ticket from one of the booths at the stadium (if you don't already have a paper one) and then framing the stub.

Reactions: volfaninky
1974 was my 1st gameā€¦same age as your boy. I STILL remember EVERYTHING about it.
He will tooā€¦ENJOY!

Reactions: Vols1498
Many moons ago, I brought my 9 and 12 yoa daughters...VFLs now. As we walked out of the tunnel to our seats, when we hit the end, I said "Welcome to Big Orange football." Their eyes were as wide as cows and the smiles as long as the Nile.

I hope you guys have a blast! I'll never forget the look on my son's face when he saw the inside of Neyland for the first time...Priceless!

remember my first one, 1968 Kentucky / Beer Barrel , Wildcats scored first. Richmond Flowers, Jack Reynolds, Steve Kiner were some of the VOlS at the time. Had to wait till halftime to get in, (pop had connections LOL. We split a box of crackerjacks, and he ate most of 'em .
I think the score was 24-7 . Still a vivid memory. God Bless and I hope he gets the "Vol Fever"

Reactions: AdoptedVOL
Good job Dad, and having him attend a WIN will hopefully get him hooked on the VOLS for LIFE!!

Not sure if you can do it, but see about getting a paper ticket from one of the booths at the stadium (if you don't already have a paper one) and then framing the stub.

Walk around the aisles after the game and pick up a good ticket stub, collector cups and who knows what elseā€¦ amazing how many times I did that as a kid!! Passed it on to my kids!!

Your scenario sounds a lot like mine. Bringing a son that's 9 and daughter that's 13. She's been to an orange and white game. This will be my son's first trip to Neyland. I am as excited as they are. There is some great info in this thread. Thanks for posting it

I'm actually taking my son to his first game this weekend as well. He is 8, and like yours doesnt have much interest is watching a game on tv. I'm hoping the atmosphere of Neyland Stadium gives him goosebumps like it did me the first time I walked out of one of the tunnels and laid eyes on Rocky Top for the first time. He chose seats in Y9, close to the field. I've never sat this low down so I'm hoping it's still just as magical down there lol.
Hope you guys have fun.

I was gonna go by since losing quite a bit of weight, I suck at handling the cold lol

Wow!! I hope it is a life long memory for you both!!
Makes my heart full!
Donā€™t forget warm socks too. Little kids fade with cold feet and hands.

In my first game with my Dad, the Vols stomped TPI (Tennessee Tech). I was dazzled and have loved Vols football ever since.

VN Store

Back