Bring one player back from any era for this team ...

This is easily the dumbest thing I’ve read on VN in awhile. No offense to Casey, you’re right that he won some huge games at Tennessee, especially on the road. But damn dude, PM was 39-6 as a starter at Tennessee. You telling me he didn’t play well in big games and on the road as well when he only lost 6 of 45 games? You telling me Peyton “choked” in those wins vs Bama, in the SEC championship game vs Auburn, in those wins vs Georgia, even in the bowl game vs Ohio State??

Some people are wayyyy hung up on the 0-3 record vs Florida. (Btw, no way he deserved to lose as the starter at Florida in 1995 .....300+ yds, 2 tds, no turnovers, offense scored 30 points....DEFENSE lost that game when it collapsed in the second half). Take the 0-3 vs Fla away and he was 39-3 at Tennessee as a starter. 39. And. 3.

There’s a reason why it was Manning, not Clausen, who was a Heisman candidate for 3 years, an All-American and the first overall pick in the nfl draft and not Casey....and it’s NOT because Peyton “choked on game days”.

Agree with everything you said about Peyton. Can’t put down Clausen either. Remember that Clausen didn’t have coach Cut. Seems like Clausen had to will us to win at times. Altho our defense was much better during those years. Coach Chavis had a machine going then. Oh what could have been if we could have just kept coach Cut from 99 to 05. Our trophy case would be a lot more crowded.

Reactions: KBVol
Linebacker would be our biggest need this year on defense sland AW gets all the love so I will go with Mayo.

I think QB is an obvious weak spot. A workhorse RB like Jamal Lewis would have taken a lot of the pressure of this group and improve running back also.

For the entertainment value, Condridge Holloway. It was the most exciting offense I can remember at UT. You literally had no idea what was coming on a given play. He could evade and scramble for what seemed like minutes. You never knew how a play would end.

Reactions: HollowaytoSeivers
I feel like the weakest spot on the D is the middle of the line, so, give me Big John Henderson on D.

On offense, WRs/TEs are playing well, O-line is coming together. RBs are servicable but we don't have a big bruising back that can bust through the middle with a decent (not great) O-line. And QB is improving but could always be better. So, I'll take Peyton or Jamal Lewis to help the O.

Dobbs and Big John Henderson. Dobbs ability to move and run with this oline would be great. Big John could take this DLine to a whole different level

Manning if I can only pick one. He is like having a OC on the field. Al Wilson if I can pick two.

gnm53108 said:
Chuck Webb

The people who didn’t have the pleasure to witness this man’s greatness...missed out!

The best we’ve ever had, imo...
Don't think it's really that close @ RB position. If he stayed healthy, he'd have been a "Barry Sanders" type all-time NFL player. Speed to burn, deadly cut-back and power to run you over.

Reactions: Hacksaw
Doug Atkins...would be interesting to see how a throwback would fit in todays game

Doug Atkins would fit into any time period. The only problem he might face is the "flag" the way he played is too violent for the "meek times" we live in now days. "Hacksaw Reynolds" is my other thought on defense. For offense it is hard not to think , Johnny Majors or Jason Whiten.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Choosing outstanding Tennessee players from past are like eating Lay's chips. To paraphrase, it's hard to just stop at one and I can't.

On defense, some help on the D-line would help. Obvious choices would be D. Atkins, R. White, J. Henderson, D. Barnett, for starters. Underrated selections would include Shawn Ellis and Todd Kelly.

On offense, the obvious position would be QB and the obvious selection would be P. Manning. It would also be hard to go wrong with C. Holloway, T. Robinson (maybe the best pure passer to wear Orange), J. Francis, A. Kelly, H. Shuler, T. Martin, C. Clausen, and J. Dobbs. Told you it is hard to stop at one.

Others have mentioned the RB position. C. Webb would be my first choice. Others I wouldn't turn down would be J. Jones, J. Graham, T. Stevens, T. Henry, J. Hurd (yeah, I know), and A. Kamara.

It makes me laugh that somehow your first choice isn’t available in your hypothetical. I agree that on offense, Peyton is always the choice. On defense, I’m going to go with Derek Barnett. We all know Al Wilson was the baddest man to ever play D at UT, but I think what we really need is someone up front who has the perfect combination of strength and motor.

No Al Wilson was not the "baddest man" to play at UT. It was another west Tenn. MAN.. Doug Atkins. Ask anyone who remembers the old Cotton Bowl (Bole?) club just on the north side of Henderson, Tn. on Hwy 45.

No, we’re going with the HOFer, not the guy who completed 54% of his passes at Tennessee and who threw 12 tds vs 9 interceptions in a 3-loss senior season. It’s PM all day.

It baffles me every time people make the argument about Tee vs. Peyton. ”Well Tee beat Florida and won a national title.” No, Tee did not beat Florida, he happened to be a quarterback who threw for 63 yards and the team beat Florida. I’m not saying Tee didn’t do some great things, but people who think Tee is better because the 98 team had the most success are crazy.

Reactions: krichunaka
Nobody, especially Vol fans older than 21, would EVER say that Casey was a better QB than PM. Peyton is, imo, the best player to ever put on the power T. However, the OP asked to bring back a player for "this" team. I would say Clausen would be a better fit for this team. Could you imagine the pairing of CC and Jauan? As great as Peyton was, I have a hard time wanting to put him behind our offensive line. They have been better this year, but he would get beaten up a ton this year. If you are asking if you could start a team with any Vol, then the obvious choice is PM, but I think Clausen would fit in better with "this" collection of players. Again...just my opinion.

On Defense, I want either John Henderson to shore up our interior Dline, or Berry to solidify our Secondary. Al Wilson is my all-time favorite Vol, but DB and HT are 2 of our best defensive players right now, so that would be a wasted pick to help this defense.

Reactions: vols1707 and OG.V83
It baffles me every time people make the argument about Tee vs. Peyton. ”Well Tee beat Florida and won a national title.” No, Tee did not beat Florida, he happened to be a quarterback who threw for 63 yards and the team beat Florida. I’m not saying Tee didn’t do some great things, but people who think Tee is better because the 98 team had the most success are crazy.
@RDU -Agree 💯 percent. I love Tee but him vs peyton is not even a discussion.
@KBV - I said Derek Barnett cuz we are from the same neighborhood here in South Nashville just like a lot of other former Vols that were great. Daniel Bitulli also. I'm sure many remember LeMarcus Coker... be seeing him up at the barber shop ... Jalen Hurd ain't from here but his family is. Keshawn Lawrence also from the same place. Reggie grimes is from close by but played out here growing up. Matter of fact, Him and Keshawn played on the same teams growing up. And Grimes senior was their coach.
I always felt like the Tennessee Vols represented where I come from so I've always been a Vol. Nobody here likes Vandy. I dont even think Vandy likes vandy

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Nobody, especially Vol fans older than 21, would EVER say that Casey was a better QB than PM. Peyton is, imo, the best player to ever put on the power T. However, the OP asked to bring back a player for "this" team. I would say Clausen would be a better fit for this team. Could you imagine the pairing of CC and Jauan? As great as Peyton was, I have a hard time wanting to put him behind our offensive line. They have been better this year, but he would get beaten up a ton this year. If you are asking if you could start a team with any Vol, then the obvious choice is PM, but I think Clausen would fit in better with "this" collection of players. Again...just my opinion.

On Defense, I want either John Henderson to shore up our interior Dline, or Berry to solidify our Secondary. Al Wilson is my all-time favorite Vol, but DB and HT are 2 of our best defensive players right now, so that would be a wasted pick to help this defense.
Shout out to Smyrna from Antioch

Reactions: volinSmyrna
Doug Atkins...would be interesting to see how a throwback would fit in todays game

Not too hard to see who I'd pick -- just look at my avatar.

I remember when the '85 Bears were talking about which guys from prior Bears teams would have been good enough to be on their defense. It was maybe this guy, and possibly that guy, but when it came to Doug Atkins -- no question.

4 pages of comments and neither Paul Bain not Rod Wilks has been mentioned. This will most likely result in 10 more years in the wilderness. Way to go VN. 😯

Last edited:
Reactions: LordBolton
Either/Or. Heck, someone else could pick as long as it's one of these guys and I'd be extremely happy.

Offense:
Tony Robinson/Peyton Manning

Defense:
John Henderson/Reggie White

Runner ups:
Off:
Heath Shuler, Webb, Dobbs, and Jamal Lewis.

Def:
Al Wilson, Derek Barnett, LL, and Eric Berry.

Reactions: OG.V83

VN Store

Back