Bring back Butch, Dooley, and Kiffin

Vols1891

So I have been thinking, all of our past 4 coaches were very solid in certain areas but obviously very deficient in others. What if we brought them all back but actually put them in positions to succeed. Just hear me out on this...Lane Kiffin as Head Coach, Derek Dooley as Offensive Coordinator, Jeremy Pruitt as Defensive Coordinator, and Butch Jones as Recruiting Coordinator, and then obviously Fulmer would still be AD. We would have all 5 of our most recent head coaches on staff at once. This coaching lineup would be feared across the land!

Reactions: Smartvol17
What’s funny is that I would be hesitant of Dooley being our OC in this fantasy. The good thing is that Kiffin would just overrule him at all times.
We can switch the order around if you’d like...this is just a rough draft proposal

Also, is there any place we could fit in Bill Battle? I’d like to have all living former UT head coaches on this staff.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I am sure I will get attacked for this but, here it goes.....

Butch Jones’ recruiting classes were fools gold padded by the volume of commitments. In no way would I make him recruiting coordinator. He did not understand SEC football one bit. He had one class that actually produced talent in college and Josh Dobbs made him look better than what he actually was.

Yeah, at least he has proven he can win at big time programs....oh wait
He's had a winning record at them. More than you can say for Dooley, Butch or Pruitt. Stayed right with Bama till the end just this year. Hell, at least he knew how to expose Bama's defense this year, which we were too inept to do

The only one I wouldn’t take back in any capacity would be Dooley and CBJ can’t have any on-field role.

So, Kiffin it is. Combined with Pruitt running the Defense would be formidable.

Butch Jones’ recruiting classes were fools gold padded by the volume of commitments. In no way would I make him recruiting coordinator. He did not understand SEC football one bit. He had one class that actually produced talent in college and Josh Dobbs made him look better than what he actually was.
6 former Butch recruits started yesterday in the NFL. Not that many, but he did recruit some players. He just couldn't manage the team

6 former Butch recruits started yesterday in the NFL. Not that many, but he did recruit some players. He just couldn't manage the team
6 starters from 4 recruiting classes? That has to be the bottoms 25% of all SEC teams from that time period. The recruiting classes were in the top half of the SEC. Speaks to how they were overrated and underdeveloped.

OP let's just bring them all back. Why not bring back "third and Chavis" and Randy Sanders and while we are at it let's bring back Cutcliffe.
Chavis and Pruitt on D.
Sanders for QB's
Cutcliffe is Head ball coach
Kiffen is O Cord
Butch can wax everyone's cars and get coffee and burgers.

oh sorry, I forgot Dooley. I guess he can be WR coach and give legal advice to all of the players once they start getting paid for selling their "likeness"

Reactions: leftygray
I already made this stupid thread as a joke like 3 years ago when we hired Pruitt. It wasn't funny then and it isn't funny now.

Last edited:

100%. All the people who claim he was good at recruiting are nuts. He mainly got lucky a few times, as he had a tendancy to rack up on all the 4-star guys that other schools didn't want. That, touching on what you said, were extremely padded with 30 players per class. Some of them he was bound to get lucky on, most of them were trash. Hence why so many who have been adamant about having to weed out the old Butch leftovers on the the roster the past 2 years. We literally had maybe 6 solid players, at best, left over after Butch's firing.

I was beginning to think that Pruitt had instilled a level of toughness in the Vols, but the last 3 games prove this team is in line with those that Butch Jones fielded

Yeah, at least he has proven he can win at big time programs....oh wait
Well he doesn’t get blown out and can develop a QB.
Oh wait, and it’s his first year in the Ole Miss program.
But wait there’s more, yes a COVID year.
AND he beat Kentucky.......

VN Store

Back