Brian Kelly- Most underpaid coach in America?

JBVolunteer

Of 130 head coaches in Division 1 football; Brian Kelly’s $1.8 million annual salary is a jaw dropping 65th... oh and there is absolutely no buyout to his contract...

Kelly’s teams have not won championships which really is the only thing that matters in South Bend but I don’t think Jesus would approve of the way they are treating a 3x national coach of the year that has had them in the national championship hunt fairly regularly.

Think it’s time they pay the man.

Reactions: Sos
The $1.8 million figure is a little deceiving. That’s what he received from the school in base salary and incentives. He also gets money directly from Under Armour and the university makes payments to his LLC, that they don’t have to disclose on federal disclosure papers. I would guess his total compensation is around $4 million.

Reactions: 508mikey and tbwhhs
The $1.8 million figure is a little deceiving. That’s what he received from the school in base salary and incentives. He also gets money directly from Under Armour and the university makes payments to his LLC, that they don’t have to disclose on federal disclosure papers. I would guess his total compensation is around $4 million.

Under Armour is struggling financially, so it will be interesting to see if Notre Dame sticks with them or goes back to Adidas.

UA recently opted out of its deal with UCLA.

I had wondered about the Under Armour deal but I have not seen any figures to really know how lucrative it is for him. I would still say he is extremely underpaid for the level of success he has had.

I had wondered about the Under Armour deal but I have not seen any figures to really know how lucrative it is for him. I would still say he is extremely underpaid for the level of success he has had.

What has he won and how is someone "underpaid"?

I agree with the underpaid part. I’ve always argued that there’s no such thing as under or over paid. You’re paid exactly what your employer believe s that you are worth. That being said, Kelly has done a great job there. It’s easy to forget how bad Bob Davie, Tyrone Willingham, and Charlie Weis were.

I agree with the underpaid part. I’ve always argued that there’s no such thing as under or over paid. You’re paid exactly what your employer believe s that you are worth. That being said, Kelly has done a great job there. It’s easy to forget how bad Bob Davie, Tyrone Willingham, and Charlie Weis were.

I think it’s likely that there are factions at Notre Dame that want him to leave for another job; hence poorly renegotiated contract, no buyout etc... Maybe, they think Urban Meyer is waiting in the wings. I know that has always been the rumor.

Regardless, Kelly brought the program back to relevance after a pretty dark decade. The Irish are regularly in the hunt for championships again. I just think it’s interesting that with all of his success; he is very obviously taken for granted there.

Last edited:
So you’re telling me nd has no buyout if they fire Kelley but Fulmer gave Pruitt a 13 million dollar buyout? My god we are the most poorly run university in America. All the current situation goes back to choosing a guy none of us had ever heard of in Currie over a guy that was a proven ad in East tn (utc) in Blackburn. I’m still not sure why Blackburn wasn’t chosen the second go round. I guess because fulmer was whispering sweet lullabies into the ears of prominent people and weaseled his way in the door. But there’s no chance in hell he should’ve essentially been made ceo of the athletic dept and in sole charge of a decision like choosing the coach.

Reactions: onevol74
Under Armour is struggling financially, so it will be interesting to see if Notre Dame sticks with them or goes back to Adidas.

UA recently opted out of its deal with UCLA.
UA overpaid for UCLA Water Pollo (ole 🐓). WTH was UA thinking to begin with???

I wouldn’t mind seeing him in Knoxville. I know it wouldn’t happen but it’s nuts he makes similar money to Pruitt.

I wouldn’t mind seeing him in Knoxville. I know it wouldn’t happen but it’s nuts he makes similar money to Pruitt.

I remember Kelly’s name came up as a top candidate when Fulmer was fired but Hamilton thought Tennessee was too good for him and ultimately went with that flashy, little pip-squeak that bolted a year later.

THE CASE FOR BRIAN KELLY AS TENNESSEE'S NEXT HEAD FOOTBALL COACH

Brian Kelly Now Top Choice to Replace Phil Fulmer, Says Knoxville News-Sentinel

Kelly certainly wouldn’t have left after one year but I tend to think the fanbase and incompetent leadership at Tennessee would have run him off to greener pastures fairly quickly though. Definitely, a case of the better road not taken...

Reactions: onevol74
He's had Notre Dame, a program that basically all of CFB (except ND fans themselves) thought was dead, in the national title conversation 3 times in 11 years. 6 double-digit win seasons. And it isn't easy to win there anymore like it was in the 70s.

He catches a lot of crap because in 2 of those instances where they've been in play for a title, they've gotten their doors blown off. It's probably going to happen again this time too. But he's done a great job there after a long period of them being very mediocre. As weird as it is to say, because he's at a program who thinks their s**t doesn't stink, he actually doesn't get talked about enough as a great coach. He's the HC at a program that the media loves and desperately wants to be successful, but he's seemingly underrated.

Reactions: JBVolunteer
He's had Notre Dame, a program that basically all of CFB (except ND fans themselves) thought was dead, in the national title conversation 3 times in 11 years. 6 double-digit win seasons. And it isn't easy to win there anymore like it was in the 70s.

He catches a lot of crap because in 2 of those instances where they've been in play for a title, they've gotten their doors blown off. It's probably going to happen again this time too. But he's done a great job there after a long period of them being very mediocre. As weird as it is to say, because he's at a program who thinks their s**t doesn't stink, he actually doesn't get talked about enough as a great coach. He's the HC at a program that the media loves and desperately wants to be successful, but he's seemingly underrated.

ND is not in the picture. Just another illusion.

I remember Kelly’s name came up as a top candidate when Fulmer was fired but Hamilton thought Tennessee was too good for him and ultimately went with that flashy, little pip-squeak that bolted a year later.

THE CASE FOR BRIAN KELLY AS TENNESSEE'S NEXT HEAD FOOTBALL COACH

Brian Kelly Now Top Choice to Replace Phil Fulmer, Says Knoxville News-Sentinel

Kelly certainly wouldn’t have left after one year but I tend to think the fanbase and incompetent leadership at Tennessee would have run him off to greener pastures fairly quickly though. Definitely, a case of the better road not taken...
Actually I’m not so sure that he wouldn’t have left Tennessee after one year if Notre Dame had offered him after the whacked Charlie Weis.

Reactions: zjcvols
Actually I’m not so sure that he wouldn’t have left Tennessee after one year if Notre Dame had offered him after the whacked Charlie Weis.

Certainly possible but I seriously doubt it. At the time, USC was still on top of the college football world when Pete Carroll left and I think Kiffin in all his cockiness believed he would be able to maintain the success even through the sanctions.

Not that it matters, but I don’t really see Kelly as being someone that would have bolted for Notre Dame which had struggled just to stay relevant for more than a decade. At the time, Tennessee would have still been viewed as the better job.

Certainly possible but I seriously doubt it. At the time, USC was still on top of the college football world when Pete Carroll left and I think Kiffin in all his cockiness believed he would be able to maintain the success even through the sanctions.

Not that it matters, but I don’t really see Kelly as being someone that would have bolted for Notre Dame which had struggled just to stay relevant for more than a decade. At the time, Tennessee would have still been viewed as the better job.
He’s a Catholic from Irish stock. Bolted doesn’t accurately describe the speed.

He's probably pulling 7-10 mil. Like others have mentioned, he also gets massive contracts with UA & NBC... I'm sure there are more undisclosed deals. You generally only find out the true cost of a coach like that if he's fired and you see his buyout. Weiss was 20 mil back in 2009 when contracts were just beginning to push 4-5 mil.

Reactions: tbwhhs
No way it's that low...

Reactions: YankeeVol
I'd bet it's MUCH higher

Reactions: 508mikey

VN Store

Back