Brian Jean-Mary Hired As LB Coach

My wife speaks French fluently. She appreciated your lesson. She said the hyphenated last name and spelling of ‘Mary’ was odd. Normally, it’s a hyphenated first name, spelled Jean-Marie (yes, like a girl named Marie). The far right candidate who ran for president of France for decades was Jean-Marie Le Pen...very much a man but most in the U.S. thought the person was female. To add to the difference between our languages, his daughter has been a presidential candidate and her first name is Marine. (Like semper fi.)
Yes, I was struck by both those quirks, as well. I'm guessing his family came to the US via Canada, and somehow a first name became a last name there, as well as the spelling becoming Americanized (ie to y). Strange things can happen when you drag names through ports of embarkation and customs offices. :)

ADDW and HCJH have obviously had a solid plan and been working hard to put it all together.

They've taken their time, sorted through loads of coaches for each specific position and made a list of their top prospects that fill all their needs.

1...Solid coaches that know how to teach and train footVol players to bring out the best in them.

2...Solid men of integrity that know how to reach potential players and their parents and are proven good recruiters.

3...Solid TEAM coaches that know how to work well with others to get the jobs done the right ways for the best outcome each game day.

Considering how late they started and not even knowing how hard the NCAA will hammer us and knowing that this will make it harder to recruit I'm stunned and totally amazed at what looks like a greaT coaching staff our AD and HC have been able to put together.

I really thought we would have to start with leftovers and whoever we could get for our 1st coaching staff and then try to rebuild a better coaching staff after we got through the NCAA hell.

I have to stand and applaud the greaT work these 2 men have done together in the time they've been here.

It's going to take some time to see the really great things on the field but I honestly believe we're taking a great 1st step in a horrid situation and that our long term future looks blazing bright.

I can't wait until...IT'S FOOTBALL TINE IN TENNESSEE!!!

VFL...GBO!!!

Ansley was never a DC before coming here. Rumph was perpetually a co-dc. As for Pruitt, he was in charge but didn’t know crap about letting his coaches coach.

For some reason, I thought Ansley had been a DC with the Raiders, but I see I was wrong.

Nonetheless, Pruitt had been a very successful DC. And Rumph had been a DC too, so it’s false to say the prior staff had no one with DC experience.

Reactions: feathersax
This is VolNation. We are gonna totally botch that French last name. I mean, we're gonna splatter it over the wall, rub our hair in it, and run around the house shaking it onto all the furniture.

Ain't no way even 5% of us are going to be pronouncing it right in our heads. I even speak French, and I can't think of a way to explain how it's supposed to sound to those who don't. I mean, "Okay, the 'jean' is not like blue jeans, it's more like a sound halfway between John and Sean...like a 'zh' sound followed by "on," but just barely pronounce the 'n' like an afterhthought. What? Hell, I don't know how to tell you what 'zh' sounds like, it sounds like 'zh.' Just half way between tho...oh, never mind."
Gene Marry. Don't try and church it up.

You responded like a child with the stupid “say it to his face bs”
I did not find it in poor taste. And I’m responding to you. I find his gif accurate.
Just keep playing Internet tough guy.
Ok.. fair enough tough person. Clown remarks are what have made this fan base a damn laughing stick. Intended “sarcasm” or not. I call it like I see it.

Ok.. fair enough tough person. Clown remarks are what have made this fan base a damn laughing stick. Intended “sarcasm” or not. I call it like I see it.
I’m not that tough. I call it like i see it also. I should have not included that last sentence.
Why don’t we just get back to focusing on the hope of a better football team this year?
BTW-what is a laughing stick?😄

Last edited:
For some reason, I thought Ansley had been a DC with the Raiders, but I see I was wrong.

Nonetheless, Pruitt had been a very successful DC. And Rumph had been a DC too, so it’s false to say the prior staff had no one with DC experience.
I checked again. Rumph was Texas’ “assistant Head Coach for Defense” one year. Yet Vance Bedford was their actual DC. Other than that, he was only a co-DC. Much like Al Washington.

I didn’t mention the one year Sheerer had at S Alabama. But all this pales vs Martinez’ experience, plus 3 years of Banks as DC (play caller) at Illinois, and BJM’s 3 years at S Fla.

Pruitt ran our D, and save for the 2nd half of 2019 wasn’t impressive. Pruitt couldn’t get along with people and went through a lot of coaches on that side of the ball in 3 years. I predict the turnover slows down die the next 2-3 years.

I’m not that tough. I call it like i see it also. I should have not included that last sentence.
Why don’t we just get back to focusing on the hope of a better football team this year?
BTW-what is a laughing stick?😄
Agreed!!! . “Stick” is me not being able to type worth a damn on an iPhone

Reactions: VolFaninFla
I checked again. Rumph was Texas’ “assistant Head Coach for Defense” one year. Yet Vance Bedford was their actual DC. Other than that, he was only a co-DC. Much like Al Washington.

I didn’t mention the one year Sheerer had at S Alabama. But all this pales vs Martinez’ experience, plus 3 years of Banks as DC (play caller) at Illinois, and BJM’s 3 years at S Fla.

Pruitt ran our D, and save for the 2nd half of 2019 wasn’t impressive. Pruitt couldn’t get along with people and went through a lot of coaches on that side of the ball in 3 years. I predict the turnover slows down die the next 2-3 years.

I understand that. Pruitt did a terrible job. I was simply addressing the falsity of saying no one had prior DC experience.

I feel good about this current staff. The way it was constructed makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
Looks like confirmation that Steele will not be retained at this rate.......at least this guy has been around a lot of decent programs. Fleeing the sinking Harbaugh ship
Nathan! 🤣 I feel your pain! Have lived about 75 miles south of Tampa for the past 🤔 62 now came down here at 24 so 4 minus the? Divided by ?? 😂 been here a while!

Reactions: NATHAN05
Hey!!! Probably ONE BADASS DUDE! think about it? Linebackers Coach! Boy Named Sue! Complex😂 ya might wanna spit in your grannies cornbread before you mess with this guy👍

VN Store

Back