Brian Jean-Mary Hired As LB Coach

If we go to a 4-2-5 base defense and with this hire, the last coach will probably be a ST or another DB coach. This guy can handle the LB position on his own.

I don't care how he pronounces his name as long as our linebackers get after people and wrap up on their tackles. If Urban was interested in him, then my guess is that Jean-Mary has ability when it comes to teaching linebackers.

Jan 21, 2020: Go back through new Michigan linebackers coach Brian Jean-Mary’s history as a recruiter, and it paints the picture of someone who can be successful on the trail at Michigan. He has experience, has recruited in talent-heavy states, and been in on the recruitment of many highly ranked, nationally recruited prospects.

...Jean-Mary’s ability to identify and recruit talent goes back to Georgia Tech, which was his first FBS coaching stop. One of his most notable recruits there was Cooper Taylor out of Atlanta Marist, who he was the primary recruiter for. Taylor played as a true freshman for the Yellow Jackets, then finished his career at Richmond where he became a fifth-round draft choice of the New York Giants.

At Texas, he was the primary recruiter for five-star linebacker Malik Jefferson, who signed with the Longhorns. He also helped recruit Top 100 prospect Jeffrey McCulloch and was the primary recruiter for Poona Ford, a defensive tackle from South Carolina who is now with the Seattle Seahawks.

“That’s a fantastic hire for Michigan,” said Hilton Head (S.C.) head coach B.J. Payne. “He is a phenomenal recruiter and a great coach. He does things differently, which pays off. Like in the spring when coaches come twice in the spring, I’ve seen him go back-to-back days, stay fresh in a kid’s mind, instead of here and back in two months.”

Jean-Mary had Ford, a Hilton Head native, committed when he was at Louisville, and got him to follow the staff to Texas. “He built a rapport with Poona, and Poona wasn’t the easiest guy to build a relationship because of how quiet he is,” Payne explained. “He just does a phenomenal job. He is full of energy. And he always has time. Even before he signed Poona, after Poona was gone, when he was at USF, if I texted, called, he would always text or call me back whether that was to do with a recruit or a general question. He’s a great dude. That’s a really big win for Michigan.”

After Texas, Jean-Mary was at USF. While he was not battling for five-star recruits with the Bulls, he was finding under the radar talents. One of those was Antonio Grier, who, despite being in talent-laden Atlanta, was under-recruited. Jean-Mary was his primary recruiter. This past season, Grier had 58 tackles (8.5 for loss) four sacks, and a forced fumble for the Bulls.

That combination of being able to recruit top national talents and also find the gems is one that should be exciting to Michigan fans. He has also been in the halls at IMG Academy and top programs in Texas and Florida.

Hiring Brian Jean-Mary is a 'really big win' for Michigan recruiting

Jan 21, 2020: Go back through new Michigan linebackers coach Brian Jean-Mary’s history as a recruiter, and it paints the picture of someone who can be successful on the trail at Michigan. He has experience, has recruited in talent-heavy states, and been in on the recruitment of many highly ranked, nationally recruited prospects.

...Jean-Mary’s ability to identify and recruit talent goes back to Georgia Tech, which was his first FBS coaching stop. One of his most notable recruits there was Cooper Taylor out of Atlanta Marist, who he was the primary recruiter for. Taylor played as a true freshman for the Yellow Jackets, then finished his career at Richmond where he became a fifth-round draft choice of the New York Giants.

At Texas, he was the primary recruiter for five-star linebacker Malik Jefferson, who signed with the Longhorns. He also helped recruit Top 100 prospect Jeffrey McCulloch and was the primary recruiter for Poona Ford, a defensive tackle from South Carolina who is now with the Seattle Seahawks.

“That’s a fantastic hire for Michigan,” said Hilton Head (S.C.) head coach B.J. Payne. “He is a phenomenal recruiter and a great coach. He does things differently, which pays off. Like in the spring when coaches come twice in the spring, I’ve seen him go back-to-back days, stay fresh in a kid’s mind, instead of here and back in two months.”

Jean-Mary had Ford, a Hilton Head native, committed when he was at Louisville, and got him to follow the staff to Texas. “He built a rapport with Poona, and Poona wasn’t the easiest guy to build a relationship because of how quiet he is,” Payne explained. “He just does a phenomenal job. He is full of energy. And he always has time. Even before he signed Poona, after Poona was gone, when he was at USF, if I texted, called, he would always text or call me back whether that was to do with a recruit or a general question. He’s a great dude. That’s a really big win for Michigan.”

After Texas, Jean-Mary was at USF. While he was not battling for five-star recruits with the Bulls, he was finding under the radar talents. One of those was Antonio Grier, who, despite being in talent-laden Atlanta, was under-recruited. Jean-Mary was his primary recruiter. This past season, Grier had 58 tackles (8.5 for loss) four sacks, and a forced fumble for the Bulls.

That combination of being able to recruit top national talents and also find the gems is one that should be exciting to Michigan fans. He has also been in the halls at IMG Academy and top programs in Texas and Florida.
Hiring Brian Jean-Mary is a 'really big win' for Michigan recruiting
Poona Ford? Didnt UT snub him?

Jan 23, 2020: “I worked with BJ for seven years, four at Louisville and three at Texas,” [Vance] Bedford said reflecting upon his time as Charlie Strong’s defensive coordinator for both programs from 2010-2016. “He’s a high energy, high intensity guy. On the football field he’s running around getting on players, and his players love him. He’s in their faces all the time, but he is the first one to love up on them. And he’s a great family man. He’s got a great family. A beautiful wife, two beautiful daughters, and his players… he treats them like his own sons.”

Jean-Mary’s ability to connect with his guys is a skill that he is highly regarded for in coaching circles. That is certainly true of Bedford, who says Michigan’s newest assistant reminds him a lot of himself.

“If you talk to the guys I coached at Michigan they’ll tell you, ‘Coach Bedford is crazy’,” Bedford said laughingly. “’He’s on me all the time. Give me a break!’ But at the same time, they say, ‘man I’m so glad Coach Bedford was there. He’s a guy I could go talk to, a guy I could trust, (and) a guy who has my back.’ That’s Coach BJ. BJ is going to be on them, now. When they walk on that football field he’s going to be on them. In that classroom he’s going to be on them. But he’s the first guy to invite them to the house. He’s going to put his arm around them. His family is going to come around. He’s going to be a part of their families. And that’s why people respect and love BJ as a football coach. I think that’s what young men are looking for. Sometimes you forget that. They say, ‘kids are different now.’ No, they’re not! They want the same thing that players wanted 30 years ago when I first got into coaching. They want you to be hard on them, but at the same time, they want the relationship and that trust factor, and I think that’s what BJ brings to the table.”

...(Jean-Mary) is a teacher first. He is in the classroom and he is teaching the guys how to watch video. He is teaching the guys how to do the little things right. I think that’s where it starts. Sometimes coaches worry more about scheme than the fundamentals. BJ is going to teach the fundamentals first, and then teach these guys the scheme second. In my opinion that’s what makes a good teacher. The guys who teach scheme first, they’re not teaching fundamentals. They’re teaching you how to trick people. To me, BJ is a fundamentalist first and a scheme guy second. Now, he knows all the schemes. He goes to visit people. In my time with him (over) seven years he always had great ideas from guys that he worked with. So, he was always a great addition as far as game planning and helping us find new ways to defend things.”

...Another skill Bedford is certain Jean-Mary will bring to the table is recruiting. "I think our second or third year at Texas one got coach got recruiter of the year, but (Jean-Mary) was actually the recruiter of the year for us that year,” Bedford said. “He signed a bunch of guys. The high school coaches in Dallas, when he was recruiting, they loved BJ. They love him! I think if they don’t go to Texas or Florida to recruit (they’re missing an opportunity). BJ has got the “in” in Dallas and also he has the “in” in Florida. They’ve got an ace recruiter.”

That’s another complement that shouldn’t be interpreted as faint praise. Bedford worked with some outstanding recruiters during his time on the trail, and he counts Jean-Mary among the best. “I’m not big on ranking guys,” Bedford said, “but I worked with Greg Mattison when I was at Michigan and he’s now at Ohio State. He was a great recruiter, I thought, and a great teacher. Clint Hurtt, who is with Seattle right now, (was also) great teacher and great recruiter. And I think BJ is right there with those guys. I can’t put a rank on them, but I put BJ right with those guys.”
Michigan adds ‘Great Teacher’ & ‘Ace Recruiter’ in Jean-Mary

CJH hasn’t followed the typical pattern of trading coaches around the SEC. Whiie I would have liked for Steele to stay, I like this hire. He’s been around and has strong experiences, but he isn’t part of the normal Saban or SEC pool of coaches.

Now maybe everyone can give up on the Kevin Steele BS...it’s almost as bad as Gruden and yes I realize he is actually on payroll because of Philmer but nobody wants him there.

Yeah.......I'm starting to think the same. People arent stupid, guess they know a back stabber when they see one and dont wanna work with him. I know I wouldnt

VN Store

Back