Breaking: Vols’ schedule additions

Vol fans just want the season to happen now, which is still in doubt. Finebaum said parents are weighing in now and the concerns about lawsuits loom over the schools. Posting a schedule means nothing. Good news is case counts are dropping and we are probably on the way out of this, but we have a media that wants doom and gloom. They are not reporting it.

Why was that not done in your opinion? And why not just keep the rotation for the additional two teams?

Why was the “fairness” approach taken?

From what I gather, the rotation was never seriously considered. They plan to get back on the rotation next year.

As to why that was the decision: because there won't be any fans at these games, if they are even played. So it's already bad enough that UGA's first trip to Bama since 2007 will be played in front of an empty stadium. Why increase the damage by doing the same to Bama's first trip to Gainesville since 2011? And you can name all kinds of similar scenarios across the league.

Best to get thru this year, if that's even possible, and then get back on the rotation next year. If they don't get thru this year in full, then the original schedule for 2020 will simply get pushed to 2021.

From what I gather, the rotation was never seriously considered. They plan to get back on the rotation next year.

As to why that was the decision: because there won't be any fans at these games, if they are even played. So it's already bad enough that UGA's first trip to Bama since 2007 will be played in front of an empty stadium. Why increase the damage by doing the same to Bama's first trip to Gainesville since 2011? And you can name all kinds of similar scenarios across the league.

Best to get thru this year, if that's even possible, and then get back on the rotation next year. If they don't get thru this year in full, then the original schedule for 2020 will simply get pushed to 2021.

I don’t buy it. If fans aren’t going to be at games, then it is what it is. It’s clear that certain teams benefitted from steering away from the rotation and others got screwed by it. Plus the league said this was determined with a focus on schedule equity.

It’s not a huge stretch to think that Bama/Saban walked across the street to the SEC office and bitched about maybe having to play LSU, GA and FL in the same year and got what they wanted.

I don’t buy it. If fans aren’t going to be at games, then it is what it is. It’s clear that certain teams benefitted from steering away from the rotation and others got screwed by it. Plus the league said this was determined with a focus on schedule equity.

How is the result not equitable?

It’s not a huge stretch to think that Bama/Saban walked across the street to the SEC office and bitched about maybe having to play LSU, GA and FL in the same year and got what they wanted.

It's not a stretch because it's what you want to believe. If Bama was in control of the process, why not get Vandy? Further, why let LSU get the easiest draw possible?

Lets face it SEC looking after the two schools they believe have the best shot at Playoff. For are Vols start winning these bigger games put yourself in position at the top. We have an experienced Team this year if we stay healthy no reason we cannot win 7 games and with this schedule that would be a great year when you are still rebuilding.

Below is a complete list of each school's two additional games:
  • Alabama: Kentucky at home, Missouri on the road
  • Arkansas: Georgia at home, Florida on the road
  • Auburn: Tennessee at home, South Carolina on the road
  • Florida: Arkansas at home, Texas A&M on the road
  • Georgia: Mississippi State at home, Arkansas on the road
  • Kentucky: Ole Miss at home, Alabama on the road
  • LSU: Missouri at home, Vanderbilt on the road
  • Ole Miss: South Carolina at home, Kentucky on the road
  • Mississippi State: Vanderbilt at home, Georgia on the road
  • Missouri: Alabama at home, LSU on the road
  • South Carolina: Auburn at home, Ole Miss on the road
  • Tennessee: Texas A&M at home, Auburn on the road
  • Texas A&M: Florida at home, Tennessee on the road
  • Vanderbilt: LSU at home: Mississippi State on the road
Missouri is the biggest loser in all of this and LSU and Georgia are the winners. F Georgia. They are the most spoon fed bitches in the conference

Earlier in the thread, I typed out Alabama’s and Tennessee’s entire schedule and asked someone to explain to me what the major difference was.

No one has attempted to do that yet. Crickets
Probably because you are on “ignore.”

Link?

How is the result not equitable?

It's not a stretch because it's what you want to believe. If Bama was in control of the process, why not get Vandy? Further, why let LSU get the easiest draw possible?

You think the result is equitable for Arkansas?

And the fact that you think LSU got “the easiest draw possible” tells me all this talk about everything being equitable from you is just lip service.

Congrats on your Mizz and KY games.

You think the result is equitable for Arkansas?

And the fact that you think LSU got “the easiest draw possible” tells me all this talk about everything being equitable from you is just lip service.

Congrats on your Mizz and KY games.

There are only so many combinations available. LSU got the easiest, Arkansas got the hardest. That doesn't suggest a bias for one and against the other.

My point in mentioning LSU was that you seem way more bent out of shape over Bama's draw when Bama started with a much harder schedule than LSU's, and wound up getting a tougher pairing added. If you're talking bias, didn't LSU come out better than anyone else in the conference?

There are only so many combinations available. LSU got the easiest, Arkansas got the hardest. That doesn't suggest a bias for one and against the other.

My point in mentioning LSU was that you seem way more bent out of shape over Bama's draw when Bama started with a much harder schedule than LSU's, and wound up getting a tougher pairing added. If you're talking bias, didn't LSU come out better than anyone else in the conference?

My issue is the best way to do this would have been keeping the rotated teams. Should have been a 5 min decision and told every team that didn’t like it to go pound sand. Revenue is going to be lost no matter what. If the season gets canceled then you keep the rotation as it would be in ‘21.

Instead, AD and coaches probably bitched because of the schedules they were going to get and got it changed.

The SEC had a chance here to be completely objective and fair and above board and crapped the bed.

Again, congrats on Mizz and KY.

My issue is the best way to do this would have been keeping the rotated teams. Should have been a 5 min decision and told every team that didn’t like it to go pound sand. Revenue is going to be lost no matter what. If the season gets canceled then you keep the rotation as it would be in ‘21.

Instead, AD and coaches probably bitched because of the schedules they were going to get and got it changed.

The SEC had a chance here to be completely objective and fair and above board and crapped the bed.

Again, congrats on Mizz and KY.
Your first point is correct until Commissioner Saban started squealing about having to play Florida.

So, the best response the bleeding money is to slice the othet wrist?

Even if what you said is how it went down, the best response approach is always objectivity and fair play. Even by your statements this isn’t fair across the board.

In a completely objective approach Bama should have pulled Florida....instead they end up with KY.

Reactions: onevol74
He’s right. I hate to say it. It’s time we stop donations and spend time doing other things. College football is not what it used to be and has been ruined by the love of money.

This is true regarding sports in general. Money tends to corrupt. Most, if not all, of the members on this board enjoy Tennessee sports for the purity of the game. Insert money, and motivations change turning players, and fans alike, into pawns for profit. Make no mistake about it... collegiate athletes are exploited in the name of “education” and “opportunity” and the fans greatly feed this demand. Maurice Couch is a prime example of how the NCAA has a choke hold on the very players that make their monitary success possible. It’s sad on many levels.

Even if what you said is how it went down, the best response approach is always objectivity and fair play. Even by your statements this isn’t fair across the board.

In a completely objective approach Bama should have pulled Florida....instead they end up with KY.

Objectivity was not the goal. Fairness was the goal, and fairness is an entirely subjective concept. Your preference that Bama pull Florida is not an objective result because your only desire is that Bama have the toughest schedule possible.

To be completely objective, they could have pulled names from a hat. But you can't convince me that you wouldn't be apoplectic had Bama drawn Mizzou and Vandy while UT drew LSU and Auburn.

Is it possible to opt out of the madatory AL game each season? What about every 3-4 years?

Objectivity was not the goal. Fairness was the goal, and fairness is an entirely subjective concept. Your preference that Bama pull Florida is not an objective result because your only desire is that Bama have the toughest schedule possible.

To be completely objective, they could have pulled names from a hat. But you can't convince me that you wouldn't be apoplectic had Bama drawn Mizzou and Vandy while UT drew LSU and Auburn.

Lol.

It absolutely is objective. Everybody scheduled by the same, objective standard. Names from a hat would have been better than this.

My desire that Bama pull FLA does not come from Bama having the hardest possible schedule, it comes from the fact that in the rotation that is who was scheduled. If the rotation had Bama playing Vandy and KY and UT pulling LSU and A&M I wouldn’t be saying a thing. I wouldn’t like it, but the objective and explainable approach couldn’t be argued with.

This has nothing to do with Bama having the hardest possible, it has to do with Bama playing the schedule that was, well, scheduled.

It’s also on the UT administration. I still go back to the almost 2 decades Tennessee played Ga & Fla back to back. Only occasionally was it broken up. Yet the first year Auburn decides they don’t want to play Ga & Ala in 3 weeks, the SEC changes the schedule for them.
I remember a couple yrs back when LSU drew GA as their rotating East team, to go along with their regular East opponent, FLA. They squealed it was SO unfair to have to face Bama, Georgia and Florida in the same season! 😁

Toughest original cross-division schedules:

1. Bama - East 1 & 3 - 12-4 combined
2. USCe - West 1 & 4 - 12-4
3. UGA - West 2 & 3 - 11-5
4. Auburn - East 1 & 4 - 10-6
5. Florida - West 1 & 6 - 10-6
6. LSU - East 2 & 6 - 9-7
t7. Kentucky - West 3 & 5 - 8-8
t7. Arkansas - East 3 & 5 - 8-8
9. Ole Miss - East 2 & 7 - 7-9
t10. MSU - East 4 & 5 - 6-10
t10. Tennessee - West 2 & 7 - 6-10
12. Vandy - West 4 & 6 - 6-10
13. A&M - East 6 & 7 - 4-12
14. Mizzou - West 5 & 7 - 3-13

Toughest revised cross-division schedules:

1. Arkansas - East 1,2,3,5 - 21-11 (+6)
2. USCe - West 1,3,4,6 - 19-13 (+-0)
3. Bama - East 1,3,4,5 - 18-14 (-2)
4. Auburn - East 1,3,4,6 - 18-14 (+-0)
5. Mizzou - West 1,2,5,7 - 17-15 (+9)
6. Vandy - West 1,4,5,6 - 17-15 (+6)
7. Kentucky - West 2,3,5,6 - 16-16 (+-0)
8. Tennessee - West 2,3,4,7 - 15-17 (+2)
9. A&M - East 2,3,6,7 - 15-17 (+4)
10. MSU - East 1,4,5,7 - 14-18 (+-0)
11. UGA - West 2,3,5,7 - 14-18 (-8)
12. Florida - West 1,4,6,7 - 14-18 (-7)
13. Ole Miss - East 2,4,6,7 - 13-19 (-4)
14. LSU - East 2,5,6,7 - 13-19 (-8)

Toughest original cross-division schedules:

1. Bama - East 1 & 3 - 12-4 combined
2. USCe - West 1 & 4 - 12-4
3. UGA - West 2 & 3 - 11-5
4. Auburn - East 1 & 4 - 10-6
5. Florida - West 1 & 6 - 10-6
6. LSU - East 2 & 6 - 9-7
t7. Kentucky - West 3 & 5 - 8-8
t7. Arkansas - East 3 & 5 - 8-8
9. Ole Miss - East 2 & 7 - 7-9
t10. MSU - East 4 & 5 - 6-10
t10. Tennessee - West 2 & 7 - 6-10
12. Vandy - West 4 & 6 - 6-10
13. A&M - East 6 & 7 - 4-12
14. Mizzou - West 5 & 7 - 3-13

Toughest revised cross-division schedules:

1. Arkansas - East 1,2,3,5 - 21-11 (+6)
2. USCe - West 1,3,4,6 - 19-13 (+-0)
3. Bama - East 1,3,4,5 - 18-14 (-2)
4. Auburn - East 1,3,4,6 - 18-14 (+-0)
5. Mizzou - West 1,2,5,7 - 17-15 (+9)
6. Vandy - West 1,4,5,6 - 17-15 (+6)
7. Kentucky - West 2,3,5,6 - 16-16 (+-0)
8. Tennessee - West 2,3,4,7 - 15-17 (+2)
9. A&M - East 2,3,6,7 - 15-17 (+4)
10. MSU - East 1,4,5,7 - 14-18 (+-0)
11. UGA - West 2,3,5,7 - 14-18 (-8)
12. Florida - West 1,4,6,7 - 14-18 (-7)
13. Ole Miss - East 2,4,6,7 - 13-19 (-4)
14. LSU - East 2,5,6,7 - 13-19 (-8)

It’s still about the 3 they don’t play

VN Store

Back