Breaking: SEC Approves Conference Only Schedule - Season starts Sep 26

It’s pretty straight forward. We play one permanent opponent from the west and one rotates. The just accelerated the rotating opponent to include the 2021-2022 games. I can’t think of a more fair way to do it. And if you need a silver lining, here are a few: (1) Florida drew Bama and A&M, the two best teams in the west; (2) We will never see another season when Tennessee, Florida, and UGA all play Bama in the regular season; (3) We get to play Lane in year 1 instead of year 2.

It looks like SOS will determine the other 2 games. I don't think AD's want to mess up 2021 and 2022 schedules.

I'd rearrange the schedule making the first 6 weeks division games, then play the 2 scheduled West opponents, then the last 2 weeks are the pairs of East west matches. This makes more sense than trying to match open dates and whatever. JMO
but they are only matching dates for 2 games. I dnt think any of the SEC schools open the season in division play so its not hard to fill the 4 OOC games with 2 conference games. I think the real question is how are u going to add 2 conference games without giving someone an advantage from a competition stand point. We may end up playing Fla, uga, Bama, & LSU. Thats the east winner and runnerup from last year, plus the west winner and runnerup from last year. That would be nearly half of our schedule

Reactions: BristolVol
IF we’re able to get the whole schedule in, I wonder if after experiencing a 10 game SEC schedule, fans and TV people won’t start begging for more conference games in the future and less G5 and FCS cupcakes.

this fan likes the idea of starting the season later in September, more conference games, less or no FCS cupcakes, but would like to still keep space in the schedule for other big program P-5 schools. It is hard to enjoy baking in the stadium at the end of August/early September.

Reactions: BristolVol
IF we’re able to get the whole schedule in, I wonder if after experiencing a 10 game SEC schedule, fans and TV people won’t start begging for more conference games in the future and less G5 and FCS cupcakes.
Will this be the death of the cupcakes? You know, I hate those games too, however there could always be a fluke (basketball reference) "Hoosiers" moment and it does give a lot of football to those schools, many who have a more rabid fanbase than... (I'll go out on a limb here) Vanderbilt..

Absolutely brutal we will do good to win 5 games but I kinda consider this season a throwaway season anyway.
I agree but at least playing LSU coach P
will find out how well we are prepared.
Whatever happens I hope he will play our backup QB' s an

Will this be the death of the cupcakes? You know, I hate those games too, however there could always be a fluke (basketball reference) "Hoosiers" moment and it does give a lot of football to those schools, many who have a more rabid fanbase than... (I'll go out on a limb here) Vanderbilt..
A lot of cupcake schools may not be playing football after this. Losing out on all of the money from these big payday games may end a number of athletic programs at least temporarily.

Yes, I am... but Georgia always plays Auburn. Adding LSU to their schedule would be Draconian, and they just played Texas A&M last year.
Do you mean like we are? Good lord man! We play Bama every year and just added LSU. It’s good enough for UT but a bridge too far for UGA?

Reactions: ptcarter
How do you do that without bias?

Seems to me you would take this the two non division opponents (for us ALA and ARK) and then give two teams that balance out SOS by adding versus other SEC East Teams.

Given that logic, with Alabama being perennially great and Arkansas last, I'd say we are likely to draw a couple more middling teams from the West.

If you look at the West last year, their record was .500 in conference.

Alabama and Arkansas were 6-10.

So they would need to balance at a +4 win ratio.

LSU is 8-0, Miss is 2-6 which means those teams combined are 10-6 balancing out Alabama 6-2 and Arkansas 0-8 to make 16-16 (.500)

LSU and Ole Miss seems to be the most logical option

Last edited:
Glad to see you around @BreatheUT .

Felt like I hadn't seen you in quite a few days.

We are dealing with some of the most dangerous times in American history controlled by collectively what is probably considered easily the dumbest group of elected officials in American history at the local and federal levels in all areas of our lives protected by the most unethical media in American history propped up by the least well rounded citizenry in American history. That alone is an energy drain.

Last edited:
A lot of cupcake schools may not be playing football after this. Losing out on all of the money from these big payday games may end a number of athletic programs at least temporarily.

I'm afraid you are correct. I can see several schools outside of the P5 and G5 doing away with football and maybe even all athletics.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
We are dealing with some of the most dangerous times in American history controlled by collectively what is probably considered easily the dumbest group elected officials in American history at the local and federal levels in all areas of our lives protected by the most unethical media in American history propped up by the least well rounded citizenry in American history. That alone is an energy drain.

Agreed.

Reactions: BreatheUT
Someone check on fade. He was convinced no games this year. :)

We’re still two months away. Wait until we start blocking and tackling at all the major schools. MLB players don’t even touch and they can’t stay healthy.

I don’t understand it either how is traveling to Baton Rouge let’s say any safer than going to Norman ?
I was thinking the same thing> Our players get on a chartered bus, got to the sir port board a chartered plane, arrive at the at the airport, ride a chartered bus to the hotel, ride a chartered bus to the game. ride a chartered bus back to the hotel, charted bus back to the airport, chartered plane home, chartered bus back to our locker room where a 1000 hot chicks are awaiting, all having Covid which will ruin everything. On to basketball season.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I know a lot of folks here that work in the AD at Mercer. They’re all in scramble mode over their budgets because they were supposed to open @Vandy.

VN Store

Back