Brandon Johnson eager to justify his unique redshirt decision

kamoshika

Using an NCAA rule that was implemented before the 2018 season, Johnson played the first four games last year before electing to redshirt, which protected his eligibility and enabled him to be a fifth-year senior now. "I'm definitely confident it will turn out to be the right decision for me," Johnson said on a recent Zoom call. "It wasn't just a decision for myself. It was a decision for my team. I felt like I would be better suited to help my team out this year, and I don't regret anything."

..."It wasn't fun sitting back and watching my teammates go to battle every game last season, but now that we're getting so close to game time, I'm excited," Johnson said. "I can't wait to go. I think that time off really just helped me take a step back and look at the game from the outside in, so to speak. It really allowed me to kind of get my game in order as far as mentally. You can never stop working in the game of football. There's so much you can do to improve yourself, whether it be mentally or physically, so I've just been working all around."

Tennessee offensive coordinator Jim Chaney said that Johnson and fellow senior Josh Palmer are the unquestioned leaders of the receiver room, which is overrun by freshmen following the departures of Callaway (New Orleans) and Jennings (San Francisco practice squad) to the NFL. Johnson believes Guarantano "has the respect of everybody on the team" and will save his best for last as well.

When asked what he improved the most during his time away from the action, Johnson didn't hesitate. "My confidence level," he said. "That's the No. 1 thing. I'm so excited just to get back out there and play. I can't wait."
Tennessee receiver Brandon Johnson eager to justify his unique redshirt decision

It was a really smart move, he just wasn’t going to battle two future NFL wideouts for playing time. It was either redshirt or transfer if he wanted to get his shot, and he chose to stay orange. I’m excited to see him out there.
Correction , one NFL wideout and one NFL practice player.

Reactions: 08Vol
Is it possible that he would see game action in 6 different years?
Since this year doesn’t count towards eligibility, he could see action this year and next year. He is a 5th year Jr.

With the newish 4 game rule for redshirting, I don’t understand why all players don’t get on the field at some point each year. Even if it’s late in the year when you know they won’t be called in due to injury or for equipment in a game that will put them over the 4, get the freshmen in to get a taste of College Football. Rotate one in here and there, with a plan in place, so they get a hands on experience of the speed of the game.

Certainly this year, since it doesn’t count towards eligibility, pick out some situations where they can go in and make a positive impact with little exposure if they blunder.

On defense, plug them in to blitz the QB. By taking a DB, LB or DL out of the coverage package to blitz they could gain some really good perspective on where they are compared to the competition. As for offense, skill players could be sent in as decoys and as for the line, run away from them.

The QB is completely different, get him comfortable on about 10 plays, with the ability to check to the other side or from run to pass or vice versus. Being able to read the defense is critical. It’s 10 plays, it can’t be that hard to be able to see what the defense is showing and adjust. Get to the line early and have a long snap count to see if the defense gives away what they are about to do. How many times has a defense made it obvious who was going to blitz before the ball is snapped?

Reactions: 08Vol
I think he has been very undervalued in the offseason. It is very important that he is still with us. Makes me feel a lot more comfortable with our receiving core.

Reactions: HalfullVol
i wish i could've stayed in college that long

Challenge accepted!
id1pp19qnx451.jpg

Didn't Brandon's uncle or maybe another relative used to post on here occasionally? Also, is he the second player with that name to be on the team? Seems like I remember a DB under Fulmer with that name?

Reactions: livefaith
Im so excited for my nehpew. Brandon finally getting his turn since the 2017 season. He also gets an extra year after this season so it will give him more game experience. Lord knows he needed this. Next Saturday need to hurry up.

We're all cheering for him, no doubt! I'm looking forward to seeing the young man work some magic downfield this season and next, especially as the QB corps settles down and gets into a rhythm.

Reactions: mbh422
Im so excited for my nehpew. Brandon finally getting his turn since the 2017 season. He also gets an extra year after this season so it will give him more game experience. Lord knows he needed this. Next Saturday need to hurry up.
He's healthy and ready to go?

VN Store

Back