Brandon Huntley-Hatfield enters the transfer portal

BHH may just be exploring his opportunities. He may change his mind and I hope he does. I think he is set up to have a great year. I think he may be like most people. Grass always seems greener on the other side.
I not that optimistic based on his exit statement.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
I not that optimistic based on his exit statement.
I'm not optimistic about a return either, but kids are emotional and having a family/group of friends pushing you around behind the scenes is a lot to deal with for a talented young man. I hate to see him go, but I would also welcome him back. I'm sure that RB and staff would to, given the correct conversations were had and everyone was on the same page.

Unfortunately for BHH, I doubt that happens.

Reactions: SDV
I have no idea whether BHH even has the option of changing his mind about transferring; but, I'm pretty sure if he did it would benefit him far more than it would the Vols in the short term. He has all the raw materials to be a tremendous player except for the part that puts it all together - his mental focus. He can dominate less physically gifted opponents, but to consistently beat other gifted players (who he will see more of rather than less as he goes along), he needs a better understanding of his role and how to play the game. Another year or two actually working with a demanding coach like Barnes would assure him a long professional career, imo. Otherwise, he's just another gifted but immature athlete who may or may not maximize his potential. In any event, I wish him nothing but good luck. Go Big Orange.

I'm not optimistic about a return either, but kids are emotional and having a family/group of friends pushing you around behind the scenes is a lot to deal with for a talented young man. I hate to see him go, but I would also welcome him back. I'm sure that RB and staff would to, given the correct conversations were had and everyone was on the same page.

I'm not optimistic, but he's apparently waffled back and forth a couple times on the idea of transferring since the middle of the season. Who knows what decision he'll land on, but I think Barnes is fine with whatever decision BHH comes to in the end. Doesn't sound like he is going to chase after him.

I agree with most of this. However, to the extent that a few others have painted him as nigh irreplaceable, it feels like your critique might be a little hypercritical.

For his position, I actually think BHH is actually a pretty good passer, and his jumper inside 15' is also certainly more than adequate.

That said, I agree with the rest. He has no post moves. He's strong, but doesn't implement strength as part of his arsenal because he wants to be a finesse player. He's likely been allowed by previous coaches to float around the perimeter masquerading as a guard and never made it a point to develop his inside game, which was exposed at the college level. Years of coddling and placating have done him no good, and Barnes seems to have communicated that the buck stops with him.

It's really surprising that a player who has likely never been held accountable would want to play for Barnes. It isn't like his reputation is a secret, and I highly doubt Barnes sold him a bill of goods in an effort to sign him, so the marriage just seemed odd from the start. The divorce, now, shouldn't be much of a surprise. It felt like the light may have come on for BHH at the mid-season point, but that obviously wasn't sustained, unfortunately. To me, the glimpses of his talent and and potential are obvious, but as you said, the drive/motor/desire just doesn't seem to be there.

My problem with BHH is he tries to play too much like a guard when really he needs to be attacking the rim more often.

I mean, at some point, you have to take responsibility for your actions and listen to the coaches. Barnes isn’t the type of coach to blow smoke just to get them to commit.

He genuinely cares about getting the most out of his players.

My problem with BHH is he tries to play too much like a guard when really he needs to be attacking the rim more often.

I mean, at some point, you have to take responsibility for your actions and listen to the coaches. Barnes isn’t the type of coach to blow smoke just to get them to commit.

Yeah, hate to see him go, will pull for him in any game that does not negatively impact UT, hope he gets it right because they call it ONE TIME for a reason. Can only hope as a VOL that we can trade up with his spot. I would think the opening he creates will be attractive to some transfer guys just looking to move up in the food chain of BB or even a HS guy's analysis will change in our favor.

Just because you and others treat Barnes like a deity than would never do anything wrong doesn't make it true. We have had 7 kids transfer out since last April. If it was any other coach in the SEC you and others would be screaming they must hate playing for that coach and why would anybody go there.

So are we recruiting over kids? Sure, but I highly doubt we are telling them when they commit and sign they will probably get recruited over next year and need to be looking.

Are we doing a poor job of evaluating kids and their fit? Are we taking kids we know don't fit the culture but telling them otherwise and then will process them out later if it falls flat?

Part of it is the nature of the college game today, but that is a whole lot of misses for a coach who seemingly everyone and their mother seems to know what kind of coach he is. There is something amiss with the situation.

Just because you and others treat Barnes like a deity than would never do anything wrong doesn't make it true. We have had 7 kids transfer out since last April. If it was any other coach in the SEC you and others would be screaming they must hate playing for that coach and why would anybody go there.

That’s about the average number, actually slightly lower than average…so I don’t think it’s something noteworthy like you’re making it out to be.

That’s about the average number, actually slightly lower than average…so I don’t think it’s something noteworthy like you’re making it out to be.

Actually I just checked and its slightly above average, but neither here nor there. I would expect an established top 20 program with an established coach to be below those numbers. But I guess I'm wrong

Actually I just checked and its slightly above average, but neither here nor there. I would expect an established top 20 program with an established coach to be below those numbers. But I guess I'm wrong
No it’s not, average is right at 4 per year, so 2 years would be 8…that’s also you including graduate players who elected not to use a free year here, I don’t think that’s really fair.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
No it’s not, average is right at 4 per year, so 2 years would be 8…that’s also you including graduate players who elected not to use a free year here, I don’t think that’s really fair.

Like I admitted, its apparently not as large a deal as I originally thought. You were correct. Feel better now?

I mean, I think BHH just might not be all that good. His AAU stuff was mostly just scoring over guys that were a head shorter than him. He’s a finesse player without enough skill to get away with that play style. He’s a plus ball handler at his size, but what else did he show that stood out?

I mean, I think BHH just might not be all that good. His AAU stuff was mostly just scoring over guys that were a head shorter than him. He’s a finesse player without enough skill to get away with that play style. He’s a plus ball handler at his size, but what else did he show that stood out?

He's 6'10 245 that can create his own shot and create for others. He's strong as an ox and a solid fluid athlete for his size. Has all the makings to be a really good collegiate post player.

I don't think Barnes can afford to wait. He's got to close the door and start looking for a replacement. BHH entered the portal and now UT has to move on from him.

I don't think Barnes can afford to wait. He's got to close the door and start looking for a replacement. BHH entered the portal and now UT has to move on from him.
I don't think Barnes will close the door until he has someone else to give his scholarship to. Up until that point, I think you always keep your options open. Now, depending on how (dis)respectful their most recent dialogue was, in which BHH allegedly demanded 30 mpg, next year, maybe Barnes has already turned the page.

I don't think Barnes will close the door until he has someone else to give his scholarship to. Up until that point, I think you always keep your options open. Now, depending on how (dis)respectful their most recent dialogue was, in which BHH allegedly demanded 30 mpg, next year, maybe Barnes has already turned the page.

The 30 minutes isn't even the most ridiculous request of the phone call. He wanted to handle the ball more and play a point forward role as well. He ain't coming back

I agree with most of this. However, to the extent that a few others have painted him as nigh irreplaceable, it feels like your critique might be a little hypercritical.

For his position, I actually think BHH is actually a pretty good passer, and his jumper inside 15' is also certainly more than adequate.

That said, I agree with the rest. He has no post moves. He's strong, but doesn't implement strength as part of his arsenal because he wants to be a finesse player. He's likely been allowed by previous coaches to float around the perimeter masquerading as a guard and never made it a point to develop his inside game, which was exposed at the college level. Years of coddling and placating have done him no good, and Barnes seems to have communicated that the buck stops with him.

It's really surprising that a player who has likely never been held accountable would want to play for Barnes. It isn't like his reputation is a secret, and I highly doubt Barnes sold him a bill of goods in an effort to sign him, so the marriage just seemed odd from the start. The divorce, now, shouldn't be much of a surprise. It felt like the light may have come on for BHH at the mid-season point, but that obviously wasn't sustained, unfortunately. To me, the glimpses of his talent and and potential are obvious, but as you said, the drive/motor/desire just doesn't seem to be there.
I agree as he is flat out wrong about a couple of his observations.

VN Store

Back