Bowls games...

7IlikeOrange7

Gr8 2 B A TENNESSEE VOL
what are the bowl games behind the bcs bowls from greatest to least. citrus and then what... just for the SEC Though!!!

BCS bid, then Capital One, then Outback, then Cotton, then Peach, then Music City, then Houston.

This is just the order they get to pick their team... kind of a general rule... last year we had the 3rd best record in the conference, tying for the East Title, and went to the Peach Bowl. The bowls take whoever they think will make them more money.

Orange, Fiesta, Sugar, Rose.... $14.4mil

Citrus (Capital One)... $5.125mil

Cotton... $3.0mil

Outback... $2.75mil

Peach... $2.15mil

Holiday... $2.0mil

Gator... $1.825mil

Alamo... $1.55mil

Sun... $1.5mil

Liberty... $1.3mil

Independence... $1.2mil

Houston... $1.1mil

Las Vegas... $800k

Music City... $780k

Emerald, Silicon Valley, Cont. Tire, Insight, Motor City, MPC, Hawaii, Ft. Worth, GMAC, Champs Sports, New Orleans.... $750k

Bowls are listed in roughly the order of preference, but that order can be pretty vague, especially in the case of the SEC, where interchangeable bowls are in [brackets].
ACC: BCS (Orange), Gator, Peach, Champs Sports, Continental Tire, MPC
Big East: BCS (Orange), Gator, Insight, Continental Tire, (Motor City)
Big Ten: BCS (Rose), Capital One, Outback, Alamo, Sun, Music City, Motor City
Big XII: BCS (Fiesta), Cotton, Holiday, Alamo, Champs Sports, Independence, Houston, Ft. Worth
C-USA: Liberty, GMAC, [Ft. Worth, Hawaii, New Orleans]
MAC: Motor City, GMAC, (MPC/Silicon Valley)
Mtn West: (Liberty - forfeited this year), Las Vegas, Emerald
Pac 10: BCS (Rose), Holiday, Sun, Insight, Las Vegas, Emerald, Silicon Valley
SEC: BCS, Capital One, [Outback, Cotton, Peach], [Independence, Music City], Houston
Sun Belt: New Orleans
WAC: Silicon Valley, MPC, Hawaii, (GMAC)

... and this year we will not be filling the Independence or Houston bowls.

I didn't realize the Cotton has the second best payout of the non-bcs bowls. wow.

Originally posted by rwemyss@Dec 1, 2004 11:33 AM
last year we had the 3rd best record in the conference, tying for the East Title, and went to the Peach Bowl.

Actually, it was worse.... the team with the 2nd best record (Tennessee) in the SEC AND 2nd highest national ranking (again Tennessee) out of the SEC schools, somehow dropped down to the 5th bowl selection!

No...Record..Team..Bowl Selection
(1) 12-1 LSU .............. (1) automatic qualifier for BCS
(2) 10-2 Tennessee..... (5) Peach Bowl
(3) 10-3 Georgia ........ (2) selected by Citrus Bowl
(4) 9-3 Ole Miss.......... (4) selected by Cotton Bowl
(5t) 8-4 Florida ........... (3) selected by Outback Bowl
(5t) 8-4 Arkansas........ (6) Independence Bowl
(7) 7-5 Auburn............ (7) Music City Bowl

Final BCS rankings from 2003
2. LSU
8. Tennessee
12. Georgia
15. Florida
19. Ole Miss

Originally posted by rwemyss@Dec 1, 2004 11:52 AM
... and this year we will not be filling the Independence or Houston bowls.

I didn't realize the Cotton has the second best payout of the non-bcs bowls. wow.

The Cotton was barely beaten out for a BCS bowl slot when they originally bid them. The "Big Four" before the BCS were the Rose, Orange, Sugar and Cotton. However, the Fiesta Bowl put up a whole bunch of money to make sure it was in the BCS. If the the Cotton had gotten a slot... then either the Orange or Sugar would have been out.

I've always thought more highly of the CapitalOne (I'm a youngster, don't forget... I know the Cotton was huge back in the day) Chalk it up to knowing that every year, we'd be second in the conference and go to the Citrus. I would have thought that if any, the Citrus was considered over the Cotton. Interesting stat.

The BCS bowls were based on monetary bids by each bowl. The Citrus Bowl was always a 2nd tier bowl. However, the Cotton Bowl was one of the top bowls until really the demise of the Southwest Conference in the mid-90's.

Isn't the Cotton Bowl going to be added as a BCS bowl next year? Or did I just dream this?

Yeah, that does sound like the birth of a playoff! Interesting.....

This is the way I think it should go every year.

SEC champ= Sugar (if not in BCS title game)

SEC champ game loser= Cotton (if from the west division) or Sugar (if has better record than SEC #3 and SEC#1 is playing in BCS title game AND qualifies for BCS at large) or Capital One (if from the east division)

SEC #3= Sugar (if has better record than SECCG loser and SEC champ is playing in BCS title game and is BCS eligible) or Capital One (the Bowl formerly known as the Citrus Bowl) if not eligible for BCS at large bid and SECCG loser is in the Cotton, vice -versa if east division loses SECCG they go to Capital One, and the #3 goes to the Cotton)

SEC #4= Outback

SEC = Peach (to highest ranked SEC east team not already selected by above criteria and is Bowl eligible)

SEC = Independence (to highest ranked SEC west team not already selected by above criteria and is Bowl eligible)

SEC = Music City (to highest ranked SEC east team not already selected by above criteria and is Bowl eligible)

SEC = Houston (to highest ranked SEC west team not already selected by above criteria and is Bowl eligible)

I hate to see them move the Cotton Bowl to the new football stadium because I like tradition, but there's going to be times that the retractable roof will come in handy.

Allvol, do you have anything more recent on that. I thought I heard recently that proposal was shot down or at least that it was looking like it was going to get shot down.

VN Store

Back