Bowl Game question… (Hyatt sitting out?)

It is extremely unlikely that UT will have its full roster available for any bowl game other than a play-off game. Generation changing money is at stake and most high draft choice candidates cannot afford to accept the risk of injury in what is essentially an exhibition game. I don’t like it as a fan, but it is reality.

It is extremely unlikely that UT will have its full roster available for any bowl game other than a play-off game. Generation changing money is at stake and most high draft choice candidates cannot afford to accept the risk of injury in what is essentially an exhibition game. I don’t like it as a fan, but it is reality.
Clemson likely won’t either

I hope they play. But I don't blame players for not wanting to risk it either. It's part of the game in college.

Reactions: Jeff Clark
Nobody in my opinion. This ain’t the music city bowl where Alontae Taylor sat out. This would be a huge stage that no one one this team ever came close to seeing. If and I mean if anyone does sit out it will only be Tillman other than him I see no one else.
I agree about Tillman. I don’t think he has recovered fully from the surgery and he may not want to risk further injury. I wouldn’t blame him.

If it’s Clemson at the Orange or K-State at the Sugar, I don’t think anyone sits. The brights lights would be on Tennessee for a big time fight, especially with Clemson.

Reactions: Jeff Clark
That’s your opinion. Not all people or players think the same. GBO
It is incredibly short sided to risk a 7 figure opportunity for a few hours of an exhibition game. Fluke injuries happen. Players cannot pay mortgages with bowl victories.

Reactions: allvol123
If you are a GUARANTEED first rounder, then yes, you sit. But he is not and I cannot tell you how many times guys have gotten bad advice, only to end up lower than these mysterious agents whispered.

I don't have the expertise to be definitive but I suspect if he played a balls out game, and he breaks the record, it could improve his draft score just a bit - and that may be the difference if he is on the #33 or #34 bubble between second and first. Its certainly a risk but it may be worth it in his case to try to ensure first round. If he isnt on the bubble though, meh, sitting may be best.

Agreed 100% if he is being told he is for SURE a 1st round. Only reason to risk the injury IMO is if he is near the bubble - thats maybe a $2-3m difference IIRC. But I would not blame him in the least if he decides not to risk it.

He's been a late 1st in most places I've looked at, but given the value and importance that speed receivers have in today's NFL, it would surprise me greatly if he lasted beyond the early 20's. 6 foot tall guys who run a 4.3 and stack DB's the way this kid can don't exactly grow on trees.

Reactions: Lurker
Any article that asks for your email, your name, and favorite team is just building a base or readers.

They will send you emails so get your junk piles ready.
Straight up Clickbait.
They have no clue at this point who sits and who plays.

And you know what that means? It means that UT is once again producing high draft pick talent, which means that the program is back to being an elite program competing for championships. I'll take that any day if the only trade off is players skipping bowl games once our season is concluded.

He’s fast and a good route runner but he’s not ready to play on sundays. He would benefit greatly with more size and another year imo.

Hyatt? Well, NFL scouts and front offices don't agree with your assessment, and they're the ones who write the checks.

Nobody in my opinion. This ain’t the music city bowl where Alontae Taylor sat out. This would be a huge stage that no one one this team ever came close to seeing. If and I mean if anyone does sit out it will only be Tillman other than him I see no one else.
I thought players could buy a one-game insurance policy against career ending injuries? How much I don't know, but seems like that would be a prudent move. For the insurer I would think the odds are pretty good that the insuree wouldn't collect, after all, he's made it through 12 games already. Hmmm, 12-1 odds? Just saying. I'm fine with whatever his decision is. For us, it's just a ball game. For him it maybe his livelihood. We can still win without him.

Last edited:
I personally hope he plays but it’s possible he sits. I think these predictions are pretty useless though because the game is over a month away.

I’ll be thrilled if he decides to play but also will completely understand if he sits it out. Squirrel is more than capable of taking his spot. Tillman absolutely should and probably will sit.
Tillman has a legit injury concern. But let me tell you in turns many scouts off with players that skip out just to skip. Especially if player is already viewed as lazy or has previous issues. Many scouts want to evaluate players especially in the playoffs and even New Years 6 games. I can see it if you have any type of injury issue or maybe a superstar playing in a minor bowl game. But too just sit out when your healthy in a big bowl games you should want to play and help your team win. Most true competitors will play in them situations. GBO

VN Store

Back