Bowl Game at Neyland

if they can make Bristol work, Neyland would be a snap! They just need to decide to do it. I think Pilot and Dolly could pull it off nicely!
Bristol was in September....AND Tennessee was in the game....THAT is why it worked. Putting 2 random mid major teams in Neyland would equate to about 30,000 people if you are lucky. Bowl games suck more and more unfortunately.....it is absurd to watch so many bowls be half empty now.....people don't care....players are sitting out...and the game is meaningless for the most part

people don't go to a bowl just to see a football game played. If that was all they wanted, it would be much easier to just turn on the TV. They go to Miami and Tampa to go to the beach too. Or Orlando to go to the other attractions. Or New Orleans to get to the French Quarter. Knoxville didn't always have the other attractions, but now maybe they could compete. Music City is now a much more desirable destination because people have realized there are other things in Nashville. We can't count Knoxville out for ever!

Bristol was in September....AND Tennessee was in the game....THAT is why it worked. Putting 2 random mid major teams in Neyland would equate to about 30,000 people if you are lucky. Bowl games suck more and more unfortunately.....it is absurd to watch so many bowls be half empty now.....people don't care....players are sitting out...and the game is meaningless for the most part
30,000 would be perfect. Upper deck black curtains (a proven successful technique) with fans spread out on the bench seats with actual elbow room. It will look packed.

here's another good idea. Lets have a bowl game during the season, and we will invite ourselves to play in it! Make our top drawer out of conference game a bowl game every year. If I can be a girl if I want to be, then we can have a BOWL game anytime we want to have a bowl game. And we can play in it--it's ours!

Lower Broad was a dump in the 80's. When it was redeveloped and became a tourist destination again, the Music City Bowl came along in 1998 which was the same year the Predators played their first season. The Nashville Sports Council had a vision that they developed over a long period of time to make it happen. Besides hotel space and a venue, it helps to have multiple attractions close by to support the bowl. I've been to all of the MSB's the Vols have played in and the weather is a crap shoot. I would likely opt out if it was really windy, rainy or sleeting like it has some years. And the turf in Nissan Stadium is demolished by late December. The domed stadium and artificial turf would really increase the attractiveness of a Nashville bowl. To me Neyland and Gatlingburg are better destinations in October than December.

Personally, I prefer falling asleep while watching professional golf in Hawaii.
Thats not bad. I kind of prefer to fall asleep watching golf in Hawaii. Kick back in Lahaina with some LIV Tour on the iPad. Doesn’t get better than that.

Reactions: kcvols1
I've thought about it for awhile now, and the reality is Neyland is far too big to bother doing anything less than a big time bowl game in. That and it is outdoors in the middle of December or January, it just doesn't make sense. All the big time bowls are either inside or in warm weather states (Orange bowl, Rose Bowl, etc). So that leaves us with a not super desirable bowl game, with not a huge amount of attendance for a very large stadium. The economics of it just don't make sense for Neyland Stadium. Knoxville would be a great place for a bowl game personally, but not at Neyland.
The Greater Idaho Potato Bowl says hi

The Greater Idaho Potato Bowl says hi
Bad teams, smaller stadium. That's why it's in the cold. That's my point. I'm not saying there's not cold weather games, but certainly no big time cold weather games in stadiums that seat 100k+.

people don't go to a bowl just to see a football game played. If that was all they wanted, it would be much easier to just turn on the TV. They go to Miami and Tampa to go to the beach too. Or Orlando to go to the other attractions. Or New Orleans to get to the French Quarter. Knoxville didn't always have the other attractions, but now maybe they could compete. Music City is now a much more desirable destination because people have realized there are other things in Nashville. We can't count Knoxville out for ever!

Sadly, you're right. Yet, I'd like to see a mile long, both sides of Gay Street and Market Square taken over by Tennessee BBQ masters. Or a preseason bowl, where projected conference champion favorites from the Ivy League (snotty well-moneyed fans might have a hankering for some Southern hospitality, historical locations , natural scenery and food) and the Missouri Valley Conference (less moneyed but also want a taste of the South), go at it. I'm just thunking out loud with bad ideas.

Anyone else go to the Steelers/Patriots preseason game at Neyland back in 1982?

I remember being mad because Terry Bradshaw didn't play. I didn't understand how it worked back then, lol
I was there. Got Big John Tate's autograph in the stands afterwards.

Reactions: vols 30

VN Store

Back