Bowl ban forthcoming?

So many calling my opinion a "conspiracy theory". Weird because I clearly said its just my opinion and I didn'tattempt to provide any proof this was actually happening. Also, so many people asking for UT to report the officials for a second week in a row. Especially the obvious missed targeting. But I bet you don't hear a peep about this being reported. One would think that UT would be out in public making some noise but if I recall correctly I believe Heupel said after last weeks game those complaints are filed on Sunday and then something to the extent of nothing is ever done about them. Someone will find the quote I'm sure. Its not a conspiracy, it is just the way officiating is and then my opinion as to why it happens this way. If it was a conspiracy theory wouldn't I at least try to provide something in the appearance of fact and not say its my opinion?
Or maybe in today's world every opinion is a conspiracy theory until it isn't.

Reactions: SmokinBob
Yes, IF we are to get one. Best to take it now. IF we are.

But let's push hard for no bowl ban at all. Let the lads play post-season.

And then come back next year and challenge for the SEC -East.

Go Vols!

If they give us a one year bowl ban than last year should've paid that debt for not going to the liberty bowl after an invite.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
The thing about conspiracies is when they're suspected, they are almost never real. And when they're real, they're almost never suspected.

I agree with your overall point about how much harder they are to pull off than is generally believed. Like George Bernard Shaw said "there are no secrets, except the secrets that keep themselves".

More like, they are always suspected, but rarely real. We see conspiracies everywhere. And it is almost always just our imagination.

Humans are made for spotting patterns. We see them even where none exist. And we are hyper-aware of social fairness, of advantages one group may have over another. To the extent that we'll turn a bit of luck into a secret plan.

Meh. If it makes your life richer, believe whatever you wish. I'll choose simplicity and Occam's razor.

More like, they are always suspected, but rarely real. We see conspiracies everywhere. And it is almost always just our imagination.

Humans are made for spotting patterns. We see them even where none exist. And we are hyper-aware of social fairness, of advantages one group may have over another. To the extent that we'll turn a bit of luck into a secret plan.

Meh. If it makes your life richer, believe whatever you wish. I'll choose simplicity and Occam's razor.
The copious amounts of pot smoked these days don't help cut the conspiracy theorizing either, lol.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
If Ut announced a bowl ban, after the LSU debacle. There will be fan attrition.

There are two things here.
1- Jeremy isnt getting a dime
2- UT is playing in a bowl.

There won’t be a bowl ban. NCAA is toothless. Too much money involved with bowls to take popular teams off the table. Even when TN is down we still draw ratings and travel well.

Many "conspiracies" can and do happen in life. It is not always where you pull together 30 people in a room, and all in one fell swoop, agree to do something wrong/inappropriate/illegal. It is usually something that becomes a part of the fabric of a situation, over time.

There are simply way too many examples over the course of my life, that "prove" that they do happen. People often let people know the expectations, without actually coming out and saying it. Eventually, the expectations are known by many/most (in this case, the officiating crew), and they do as expected, if they want to maintain the status quo. People can do some pretty awful things, in small increments, and continue to convince themselves that they have some form of moral high ground.

And if necessary to get the point across, people get paid and/or Threatened.

So many calling my opinion a "conspiracy theory". Weird because I clearly said its just my opinion....

You clearly described a conspiracy (definition: a secret plan by a group to reach an unlawful goal).

So to think it is weird we'd use the words "conspiracy theory" in response is a little disingenuous. Of course we would, when that's what you've proposed.

...some of us...believe...the SEC protects their ranked teams for bowl/playoff reasons, or simply put money. This has been my opinion for many years now

I mean, think about all that is behind that one statement.

You're saying that some people who work for the SEC are deciding to change the game so that it's not what it appears to be, not a fair match, but one guided by the referees to certain preferred outcomes.

That's a pretty explosive secret, if true. Explosive and, therefore, valuable.

The SEC has, what, 7 or 8 officiating crews. That's 50-60 people, right there. They would all have to be in on it. Plus at least another handful in the head office, coordinating and training and "motivating" those officials to guide games to certain outcomes.

60+ people don't keep secrets.

Think of the varying motivations each of those people have. Most are making a moderate income, maybe facing some financial hurdles, and they are ALL sitting on this lucrative secret that 60 Minutes or Rolling Stone Magazine would pay millions for.

How long do you think 60+ people are going to keep a lid on that?

So you ARE describing a conspiracy theory, but it's NOT a very realistic one.

Occam's razor says there are other explanations that are more likely, because they require far fewer assumptions.

1st UGA don’t need protecting 😂 2nd it’s obvious the NCAA/SEC is still investigating dang just this week more came out. It will be off season and the hammer will come down hard. The stuff that was happening plus the guy at the top was allowing it only means big punishment coming. I see 2 year bowl ban loss of scholarships and this will cause a mass exodus of players leaving by way of the portal. We will recover but not for 5 years or more. Fulmer and company screwed us bad!
No.

tenor (6).gif

If a bowl ban comes, we tell them to take a hike and accepy one anyway, what can they do but stew about it? Tell the NCAA to shove it, when they penalize North Carolina for a decade of passing players that never attended classes, then we'll accept a bowl ban, eff 'em.

What you’re suggesting is a conspiracy. Over and over it’s been proven that is is almost impossible for two parties to keep confidence on a topic involving collusion. It’s literally close to a 99% failure rate, and exceptionally rare. A conspiracy that would literally involve hundreds of people keeping a secret is truly impossible to pull off.
You forgot one main variable.....Money ...That can keep alot of mouths closed ..Didn't read the original post but it's not as hard as you think ..

I like many Volunteers fans understand that the officiating we are seeing this year is at minimum questionable. There are some of us who believe this is because the SEC protects their ranked teams for bowl/playoff reasons, or simply put money. This has been my opinion for many years now and is the basis for my current train of thought. Just looking at the last 2 games one has to wonder, what if some of the calls were different? By this I'll use Young's TD run/fumble recovery from last night as my example instead of ranting on the myriad of available examples. I promise I will do a poor job sticking to just this 1 example.
It all begins with the call on the field. Replay must show 100% the call was wrong and we all know the SEC/ESPN are amazingly poor with camera angles. On this play had the call on the field been fumble recovered by Tennessee because the side judge saw the ball come loose and the Vols came away from the pile with the ball could replay had definitively overturned the call? Now ask when has UT benefited from the call on the field going their way before replay review on any of these critical moments. Kind of hard to come up with some recent examples.
Now on to why. I believe it's simply money. I believe the SEC is aware that Tennessee has a possible bowl ban upcoming and will protect their other assets to increase revenue. Not a bad business decision if you have zero respect for the game. Oddly Tennessee will also financially benefit from this based in the SEC profit sharing model and thus the administration is hand-cuffed in their ability to demand change or accountability.
I hope to be wrong but I believe we will see similar officiating against Kentucky in 2 weeks. The SEC will keep this going to protect their other assets and maximize profit. UT must just accept this is the way it is in 2021.
Finally, I expect the bowl ban to be announced the Tuesday before our season ending match-up against Vandy with one possible exception. If for any reason the Cats wet the bed and the Vols win regardless of officiating the bowl ban will be announced before the South Alabama game. Neither of the Vols last 2 games are looking to bring in big money so its more about the announcement of a 2021 bowl ban before the Vols get to 6 wins.
I still believe the Vols will win at least 6 games. If the NCAA doesn't make an announcement before the end of the season look for the "make-up" calls to begin against Vandy. The SEC will ensure the Vols are at least bowl eligible if no announcement comes before the end of the regular season. I do honestly believe the bowl ban is coming or at minimum very likely and enough of a possibility for the SEC to take precautions.
Now the upside, if the Tennessee administration bites the bullet and doesn't make a fuss about how the SEC handles its appeared "protection" of its ranked teams the calls may go differently next year and in years to come as our program appears to be headed up and my lord is the current style exciting to watch (good for ratings = money).
Just my opinion.
Go Vols

Wow! If you think the SEC is fixed, why do you even bother to watch?

What you’re suggesting is a conspiracy. Over and over it’s been proven that is is almost impossible for two parties to keep confidence on a topic involving collusion. It’s literally close to a 99% failure rate, and exceptionally rare. A conspiracy that would literally involve hundreds of people keeping a secret is truly impossible to pull off.
Right you are.
Some need to take off their tin foil hats and stop grasping at straws.

This!

You forgot one main variable.....Money ...That can keep alot of mouths closed ..Didn't read the original post but it's not as hard as you think ..
Money can create a bias. That’s be proven again and again. Surgeons sell surgery. Hourly employees work more slowly than those paid on projects or milestones. The opposite is true regarding a conspiracy. No amount of money will keep people quiet. Ultimately the network breaks, always. The tricky situation is one where systemic biases compound due to incentives. That does happen, but it’s not what original poster posited. He claimed a conspiracy. Conspiracies almost never exist. When they do, they’re almost always discovered.

VN Store

Back