Bold Predictions: Lady Vols vs. Indiana

This could be correct. In todays portal world especially if you’re a deep team you have to play too many players. Trying to keep happy & strong cohesion is getting very nuanced. So IMO by January they better find their 8 core and then just let the portal exits happen. It’s a hard non family oriented business approach, it’s where we are, some to most asked for it.You can’t go through a season throwing random lineups and experimenting without the chance of losing the main goal. So if they can get it down to 8 core and still keep the goals in place a lot will have to fall in place.

Some coaches decide on their core rotations based on what they see in practice. Others use live games as their Petri dishes. Look at last night's battle between two very well coached teams. One effectively had an eight player rotation, the other used six players for all but 10 minutes of the 200 available. Both teams played with intensity all game long. Even their benches were focused on the game.

And for the whataboutists, both teams were missing key players due to injury.
More than one way to skin a cat.

Texas vs. UConn - Box Score - November 14, 2022 - ESPN

Last edited:
Reactions: sechamp2012
Players I saw last night that couldn't defend were Jackson, Darby, and to a lesser extent Walker. On offense Jackson did what was expected as did Darby and Key. Powell probably should've shot less ending 5 for 14 took three or four she should've passed up. Walker was an offensive disaster missed 5 free throws and 0 for 4 from the field. This all added up to the 12 point loss. I'd like to see what Justine and Sarah could do with extended minutes not like they would be taking time away from players that are playing well and being productive.

I'd also like to see a more simpler approach with a starter and a backup at every position. Key and Hollingshead at the five, Franklin and Puckett at the four, Jackson and Pissott at the three, Horston and Darby at the two, Powell, Miles, Walker at the point. Everybody else needs to do well enough in practice to get any playing time or one of the players they are behind has to not play well enough to hold their position. I don't like to see players trying to play two or three positions learn one and play there. I don't know if it would help but if you know your role both offensively and defensively at one position seems like you could either fill that role or next player up. I see to much confusion right now hopefully it all get sorted out.

Last edited:
Reactions: glv98 and 1reVOLver
I would like to see mini-platooning abandoned in favor of putting the best overall five at each position and then strategically subbing one player at a time to rest a starter. When that starter returns, another sub can enter, keeping a balanced team on the floor.

Obviously, this plan changes when a starter can't suit up, gets in foul trouble, or is having an off night. Same when matchups aren't favorable. But cohesion can only improve when the most effective players stay on the floor together and the role players/backups aren't out there at the same time.

Defense needs to work a lot on limiting extra shot possessions, and offense needs to work on purposeful movement that creates open looks and forces the opponent to work hard.

Reactions: 1reVOLver and glv98
I would like to see mini-platooning abandoned in favor of putting the best overall five at each position and then strategically subbing one player at a time to rest a starter. When that starter returns, another sub can enter, keeping a balanced team on the floor.

Obviously, this plan changes when a starter can't suit up, gets in foul trouble, or is having an off night. Same when matchups aren't favorable. But cohesion can only improve when the most effective players stay on the floor together and the role players/backups aren't out there at the same time.

Defense needs to work a lot on limiting extra shot possessions, and offense needs to work on purposeful movement that creates open looks and forces the opponent to work hard.
I don't think the 5 best individual players collectively make the best team unit. That's why it's not a horrible idea to start Tess.

I'd rather see a starting 5 that's experienced playing together to start off the games and get them in a groove. Walker, Darby, Horston, Puckett, Key. Powell is first off the bench for Walker after 2-3 minutes, then Jackson for Puckett...with both of them pretty much playing starter minutes at that point. But starting the game with The Big Three all at once at this point in the season probably won't work unless they learn to share the ball. The goal by SEC play is to be able to have your best players in the starting lineup, but they'll probably have to work their way to that point.

I agree that the most naturally-talented aren't necessarily the best system players, which is why I used the term "most effective" in the second paragraph. So we are mostly in agreement.

I do think that we ahould always start with our strongest (most effective) lineup and use subs in relief than running in multiple second unit subs or holding out a superior player to come off the bench "so there's no dropoff." Experience should always be a factor but not the main factor.

Anyway, the team as individuals and as a unit need to work together. The coaching staff needs to insist that each player knows where she should be at both ends and insist that they practice it until it's instinctive. And reward teamwork over individual play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amb3096

VN Store

Back