Bob

Thunder Good-Oil

I never heard how Kesling pulled off Saturday. He called the Cincinnati basketball game in Knoxville (did anybody attending see him court-side?) from 12:00 until almost 3pm and was then at the mic before the 4pm kickoff for Vandy in Nashville. He either had a really fast helicopter sitting outside the TBA or he called the football game from a video feed. Apparently the latter as he was commenting on things as they appeared on TV (like the down and distance from the graphic). However he was oblivious to the superimposed first down line at times... maybe he had a raw video feed.

Then Tim Priest didn’t do the post game interviews from the locker room, it sounded like a phone call. But I think he was involved in the pre-game broadcast from 2:30-3:50 while Bob didn’t participate until kick off (as far as i could tell). Weird. I’d like to know the details. They used to always just have 2 different play-by-play guys calling the games when basketball and football were on the same day but in different cities.

What we sometimes do in the industry is tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit

Hahaha... - jk. the silence and lack of a legit, winning BS answer made me feel nervous.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
What we sometimes do in the industry is tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit

Hahaha... - jk. the silence and lack of a legit, winning BS answer made me feel nervous.
Is that Latin?
GBO!!

As someone pointed out in the original query, I would put my money on calling one of the games via telecast - most likely the basketball game.

Did anyone hear him explicitly say exactly where he was in either event?

As someone pointed out in the original query, I would put my money on calling one of the games via telecast - most likely the basketball game.

Did anyone hear him explicitly say exactly where he was in either event?

No, that’s why I am asking. Did anybody see him in the TBA? He was late to join the Vol Network football broadcast. And he told Barnes in the post game interview that he had to go call the football game. I would think that a basketball game would be more difficult to call remotely because it’s constant movement whereas football resets for 30 or 40 seconds and then there’s action for 5-8 seconds. Plus he has the production facilities nearby the TBA but wouldn’t necessarily have access to the needed equipment in Nashville.

No, that’s why I am asking. Did anybody see him in the TBA? He was late to join the Vol Network football broadcast. And he told Barnes in the post game interview that he had to go call the football game. I would think that a basketball game would be more difficult to call remotely because it’s constant movement whereas football resets for 30 or 40 seconds and then there’s action for 5-8 seconds. Plus he has the production facilities nearby the TBA but wouldn’t necessarily have access to the needed equipment in Nashville.
I believe on the basketball broadcast against Colorado, Bob alluded to using a monitor in Tennessee's production studio to call the football game.

I believe on the basketball broadcast against Colorado, Bob alluded to using a monitor in Tennessee's production studio to call the football game.

That’s been my theory. As I was watching the game his call seemed to follow the TV broadcast. I wonder where Tim Priest was located. I think that Hubbs was spotting from Vanderbilt’s stadium. Pat Ryan might have been in Nashville as well.

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
That’s been my theory. As I was watching the game his call seemed to follow the TV broadcast. I wonder where Tim Priest was located. I think that Hubbs was spotting from Vanderbilt’s stadium. Pat Ryan might have been in Nashville as well.
All that im not sure about. I think Priest was in TBA. Hubbs was in Nashville, he was in some VQ videos. Ryan I have no clue.

Maybe im wrong, but that's my best guess.

You don’t mean Bert, do you? But the Huster broadcast facilities are next door. Unless he was needed for pre-production of the football broadcast he might have had 15-30 minutes to kill between games. Of course Tim Berry and the producer usually sit right next to Bob during basketball. Maybe logistically it made sense to use the equipment that was already setup court side and either give Bob a feed of the football video on his computer or even roll in a TV.

Last edited:
You don’t mean Bert, do you? But the Hutchison broadcast facilities are next door. Unless he was needed for pre-production of the football broadcast he might have had 15-30 minutes to kill between games. Of course Tim Berry and the producer usually sit right next to Bob during basketball. Maybe logistically it made sense to use the equipment that was already setup court side and either give Bob a feed of the football video on his computer or even roll in a TV.
Forgot about Bert, that makes a lot more sense. And I agreee having Bob stay in place with a monitor in TBA makes much more sense, but who knows.

If he was calling the FB game off a feed, it would have been funny if someone changed the channel on him.

"Bailey drops back, throws it and it is completed to......Sponge Bob Squarepants."

Reactions: Volfan1000

VN Store

Back