Bob Kesling

I always listen to the Vol Network because I prefer the Tennessee perspective. The SEC directive that all SEC games should promote the hell out of Tuscaloser High is too damn much for me. I'll listen to bad Tennessee play-by-play over constant Bammer fluffing any day of the week.

Kesling is horrible and is well in the tradition of hiring someone not because they are the best, but rather due to the fact they are connected to a local media sponsor.

Calling a game in the Red Barber tradition of "soft" neutrality is a fine standard and we were blessed with John Ward's quality for decades in that regard. This makes Kesling even worse. He lacks Ward's descriptive skill for calling a game and all one has to do to understand his flaws is to watch Tennessee on television while listening to Kesling flail away at the play-by-play.

Tim Priest saves him. He is exactly what you want in a color man: a passionate ex-player who doesn't mind sharing his opinion and does so forcefully.

No offense to anyone who likes him for sure. But Mike Keith annoys me... just think he has too much Contrived yelling. Just my opinion, Lol

Who old are you? Old enough to remember Jefferson Pilot? A college sports group that failed? If you had put up with Bob moments way back then, that might mean you have only heard sound bites of John Ward. Bob might be all you know. Guess my point between original Coke and New Coke went right past you. If you saw it. Not saying Keith is that great. Compared to Bob? So far Head and Shoulders above, none of us would have dandruff ever. His yelling isn't contrived. He represents the Titans to Titans fans.

Hell, a bud of mine had the perfect solution when Ward said, "It's time" We should have ponied up and hired Ron Franklin from ESPN. We could have gotten him away from the feminist attitudes of a national outlet before he made a small indiscretion over the TV.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
Politics got in the way of UT hiring the best person for the job. Mike Keith should have been given the job, instead we ended up with Brad Kesling.

Agreed. BK was preselected for the job and Keith knew it that’s why he left before Ward retired to take the Titans job.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Politics got in the way of UT hiring the best person for the job. Mike Keith should have been given the job, instead we ended up with Brad Kesling.

A Missouri fan on another site thought it was Bob Kessler. I thought,"Close enough".

His call of the game winning hail mary....SUCKED. Here we have an iconic, historic moment in UT football history, and the dude announces it in the tone like a guy who is pleasantly surprised to find out the breakfast buffet has extra pancakes.

Instead of getting a classic call like John Ward used to give, we get "What a surprising turn of events!".

Are you kidding me?
Typical

Reactions: Vfl2407
I always listen to the Vol Network because I prefer the Tennessee perspective. The SEC directive that all SEC games should promote the hell out of Tuscaloser High is too damn much for me. I'll listen to bad Tennessee play-by-play over constant Bammer fluffing any day of the week.

Kesling is horrible and is well in the tradition of hiring someone not because they are the best, but rather due to the fact they are connected to a local media sponsor.

Calling a game in the Red Barber tradition of "soft" neutrality is a fine standard and we were blessed with John Ward's quality for decades in that regard. This makes Kesling even worse. He lacks Ward's descriptive skill for calling a game and all one has to do to understand his flaws is to watch Tennessee on television while listening to Kesling flail away at the play-by-play.

Tim Priest saves him. He is exactly what you want in a color man: a passionate ex-player who doesn't mind sharing his opinion and does so forcefully.
I hope Tim Priest retires after the season because his sounding like the voice of doom gets old:rolleyes:

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
I have been a Bob apologist for awhile now knowing that no one could follow the goat. I drove 18 hours on Saturday to get home from S. Florida. College Football got me through. I listened to several different teams and broadcasters through the miracle of Sat radio. Bob Kesling AND Tim Priest are without a doubt the worst duo in college sports. Priest just needs to STFU and Kesling needs to drink some coffee or something. He also needs to get his yardages correct. Guy would gain 3 yards and Kesling would say a few or 4-5 or a couple, he NEVER got the yardage correct. Names are beyond him, and a play that sounded like we got a tackle after a 5 yard gain would go for 25. He and Priest need to be gone ASAP. They actually sound like a Friday night HS football duo.....pretty much the Butch Jones of play by play.

I listen to the broadcast when I am visiting Mom in Tennessee with no cable. Bob is no John Ward, but I don't think he is as bad as many think he is.

Then you are not thinking. You are just sitting there eating up whatever UT decides to serve. Do your mom a favor. Get her cable.

Agreed. BK was preselected for the job and Keith knew it that’s why he left before Ward retired to take the Titans job.

Yeah, I remember the first road game after John announced. We spied Bob sitting behind him in the press box. It was a done deal fast. I had heard my Mom listening to Bob doing Lady Vols games. Knew it wouldn't work from the get go.

I listen to the broadcast when I am visiting Mom in Tennessee with no cable. Bob is no John Ward, but I don't think he is as bad as many think he is.
He's really not. Kesling is vanilla but I think a lot of it is that he's a TV guy doing radio. John Ward was very professional and distinctive but sometimes awkward.

It does matter. Most iconic play in 18 years. Something I'm going to watch over and over again. And instead of going to Kesling I'm going to Verne because his call was better. Kesling's call absolutely sucked and I'm not going to want to listen to the local guy.

Bob reminds me of the disc jockey from Reservoir Dogs in comparison to well known disc jockeys that make you anticipate hearing the song they are about to air. It is telling when Verne sounded more excited than Bob. CBS was more excited about that win than the Vol Network. I still love the Vols, but to Hell with the Vol Network. When we go to the steakhouse and order Prime Rib, don't serve Granny Clampett's possum stew.

He's really not. Kesling is vanilla but I think a lot of it is that he's a TV guy doing radio. John Ward was very professional and distinctive but sometimes awkward.

GAVol, I could take an awkward moment from John. I would laugh it off and forgive him, because he would recover from it and keep fans engaged. And hey, I like a quality vanilla. But I expect some vanilla bean and quality creme. Bob has no flavor to his vanilla. It is flavorless. Passionless. Pretty much monotone. Subpar. And they plan to keep him pretty much for life? This is football, not the supreme court. And yes, he really is.

Last edited:
Not too shabby. But he would have been more impressive with a monster kid like Mike Portnoy or Mike Mangini might use.

Signed, A long time Dream Theater fan.

Edit: A Dark Shadows fan? You know, Woodsman? You might not be as bad as I thought. Loved that show back in the day. Got home from school just in time. Hated it being cancelled.
Any mention of Mike Portnoy deserves a like. 👍

Not to mention how often he butchered the players names throughout the game. Go Ole Checkboards

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Craziest thing with Checkboards, is he can call an outstanding fast paced basketball game, get all the names right, describe the plays as they are happening, to where I can picture it as I listen to the radio, but a football game, not so much.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Craziest thing with Checkboards, is he can call an outstanding fast paced basketball game, get all the names right, describe the plays as they are happening, to where I can picture it as I listen to the radio, but a football game, not so much.

I will take your word for it. I can pass by a radio broadcasting either sport, hear his voice, move out of earshot, and get updates from passersby. Here is my best analogies, and apologies to those who don't have agricultural knowledge. Imagine you are a cattle farmer, and you are planning your herd. John was a bull who grew the herd. Replacing him with Bob was like retiring the bull, and expecting a steer to go into the herd and produce the same results. Go ahead, be sheep, dine on what the powers that be want you to buy. You all are buying a Rolex from some random guy at a flea market. Hate to tell you this, but you are paying good money for a knock off. It might tell time, but it's not a Rolex. Enjoy your mediocrity. I expect better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vol524
GAVol, I could take an awkward moment from John. I would laugh it off and forgive him, because he would recover from it and keep fans engaged. And hey, I like a quality vanilla. But I expect some vanilla bean and quality creme. Bob has no flavor to his vanilla. It is flavorless. Passionless. Pretty much monotone. Subpar. And they plan to keep him pretty much for life? This is football, not the supreme court. And yes, he really is.
I guess my thing is that there just aren't very many good radio guys left. It's mostly a bunch of guys with good voices and they'll never fell as connected to the team as back when radio was the only way to follow a lot of games.

He's definitely better at basketball.

I guess my thing is that there just aren't very many good radio guys left. It's mostly a bunch of guys with good voices and they'll never fell as connected to the team as back when radio was the only way to follow a lot of games.
It's a dying art that will be totally dead eventually, unfortunately. The greats, John Ward among them, were necessary in eras when radio was the only way to follow games live, as you said. Therefore your really talented media people got into it, it was more lucrative, etc.

I love listening to sports on the radio but I guess I'm kind of an oddball, especially for my age. Most people today if they aren't around a TV follow a game by streaming the TV broadcast or following on an app on their phone.

Good grief, GAVol. It isn't guesswork. You really have been suckered into mediocrity. The excuse making that those people screwing up Tennessee sports have done for years. They have infected you with their virus With your line of thinking, had you known Columbus, he would have never sailed west and discovered the New World. I almost think if UT ran a steakhouse, and your walked in and ordered a prime rib, you would eat hearty and pay full price even if they served you cold cuts instead. Stop making excuses for this. It's absurd. When Ward took over, he let his passion lead. Bob has none. I don't care how much of a lost art you might think it is. We have a few students still majoring in broadcasting, right? Train em up. I bet there are three or four on campus right now taking classes. If they are too damn cheap to get a proven commodity, which Bob has proven NOT to be, turn a young grad student loose. Can get nothing but better.

Good grief, GAVol. It isn't guesswork. You really have been suckered into mediocrity. The excuse making that those people screwing up Tennessee sports have done for years. They have infected you with their virus With your line of thinking, had you known Columbus, he would have never sailed west and discovered the New World. I almost think if UT ran a steakhouse, and your walked in and ordered a prime rib, you would eat hearty and pay full price even if they served you cold cuts instead. Stop making excuses for this. It's absurd. When Ward took over, he let his passion lead. Bob has none. I don't care how much of a lost art you might think it is. We have a few students still majoring in broadcasting, right? Train em up. I bet there are three or four on campus right now taking classes. If they are too damn cheap to get a proven commodity, which Bob has proven NOT to be, turn a young grad student loose. Can get nothing but better.

He passes to the man and boom goes the dynamite!

He passes to the man and boom goes the dynamite!

Actually, I hope a Sunday comes soon where Bob goes to church and suddenly decides God called to preach. And spend the rest of his speaking career saving lost souls. I have actually seen him in public. Nice guy off the radio. John Ward always seemed a bit more standoffish off the air. Bob might make a good preacher. Win for him, win for us.

VN Store

Back