Bob Kesling

If Kesling is the guy calling UT games on 104.5 he is not good at his job and needs to quit. I have had to listen to the games on the radio last month or so its like a zombie calling the game and he gets more excited when the other team does something good .

Man, you’ve really shown them!

No, I haven't. I just refuse to deal with sponsors going along with putting this boring product on the air. If I trade with them, it would be saying I approve, and I don't. It's a personal choice, that's all. And I am not the only person out there that feels the last 20 years has been unacceptable. It's unlikely those dunderheads will make a change. And I am just as disappointed today as I was the day he was announced at Ward's replacement. I expect the best. And we didn't get it. Some accept that. Not me.

Kesling was decent when he was on WBIR as sports anchor...it was all scripted.

Decent? I'll take your word for it. I started tuning in Channel 6 within a week of him getting the job. Bob bored me from day 1, and I got accustomed to getting my local news from 6.

In 1980, I was hired at KGRT/KGRD Las Cruces, NM. My given name has a bunch of soft consonants. The Program Director was worried about how it would sound over the air. He asked me what on-air name I wanted to use. Being a smart aleck 20-something, I replied, "John Kessler." He said matter-of-factly, OK. You're John Kessler.

In 1980, I was hired at KGRT/KGRD Las Cruces, NM. My given name has a bunch of soft consonants. The Program Director was worried about how it would sound over the air. He asked me what on-air name I wanted to use. Being a smart aleck 20-something, I replied, "John Kessler." He said matter-of-factly, OK. You're John Kessler.

Now, that's funny.

If Kesling is the guy calling UT games on 104.5 he is not good at his job and needs to quit. I have had to listen to the games on the radio last month or so its like a zombie calling the game and he gets more excited when the other team does something good .

A few friends of mine used to do haunted houses. Based more on the classic horror movies than the slasher 80s stuff. In the dark walkways, we could pipe in recordings of Bob's voice. No scratch that. Don't want visitors hearts to stop from boredom. We'd get sued.

Reactions: mpfvol and Bigun
Anyone hate what the coaches show has become? Zipping through highlights of the game with music in the background, 2-3 features on players, and for the 5 minutes Pruitt is speaking with BK, it looks like hes doing everything he can do to keep from slugging him...I used to love to tune in on Sundays for the CPF show. It's sad what its turned in to...smh

Reactions: Bigun and ncvol17
Anyone hate what the coaches show has become? Zipping through highlights of the game with music in the background, 2-3 features on players, and for the 5 minutes Pruitt is speaking with BK, it looks like hes doing everything he can do to keep from slugging him...I used to love to tune in on Sundays for the CPF show. It's sad what its turned in to...smh

It comes on, I see Bob, and reach for the remote. Too damn depressing.

it's awful. Coaches' shows have been irrelevant for 15 years.

it's awful. Coaches' shows have been irrelevant for 15 years.
I can't believe that they generate enough ad revenue to even continue to exist. They made a ton of sense back in the day when not all the games were on TV, and they continued to make some sense in the pre-internet era if you missed the live broadcast on Saturday, but with the internet and smartphones I'm not sure what the point of them is anymore. Any highlight or any postgame comment the coach made is instantly available as soon as it happens.

I think the takeaway is that there are probably more people out there than you'd think who still don't use them.

I can't believe that they generate enough ad revenue to even continue to exist. They made a ton of sense back in the day when not all the games were on TV, and they continued to make some sense in the pre-internet era if you missed the live broadcast on Saturday, but with the internet and smartphones I'm not sure what the point of them is anymore. Any highlight or any postgame comment the coach made is instantly available as soon as it happens.

I think the takeaway is that there are probably more people out there than you'd think who still don't use them.

Exactly right....I will say that having the HCs analysis on each play was refreshing back in the day when CJM and CPF had their shows. Sometimes it seemed like it served as a measure of accountability or a way for them to explain a call, play, etc....I wonder if they detested doing the show back then as much as it seems these coaches do now?

Exactly right....I will say that having the HCs analysis on each play was refreshing back in the day when CJM and CPF had their shows. Sometimes it seemed like it served as a measure of accountability or a way for them to explain a call, play, etc....I wonder if they detested doing the show back then as much as it seems these coaches do now?
I think they all universally detest doing those shows, especially after a loss.

Pruitt in particular I think views any kind of media appearance (press conference, interview, coach's show, etc.) a distraction that keeps him away from coaching or recruiting. All coaches want to recruit and coach obviously, but there are a handful (someone like PJ Fleck or Mike Leach comes to mind) that do like their face time. Pruitt definitely isn't one of those.

I think they all universally detest doing those shows, especially after a loss.

Pruitt in particular I think views any kind of media appearance (press conference, interview, coach's show, etc.) a distraction that keeps him away from coaching or recruiting. All coaches want to recruit and coach obviously, but there are a handful (someone like PJ Fleck or Mike Leach comes to mind) that do like their face time. Pruitt definitely isn't one of those.

I agree. It seems like a personality thing. I'm sure he's gotta be constantly reminded how important these media obligations are....

Gonna get flamed I’m sure, but I like The Jeremy Pruitt Show. Much better than Butch. Reminds me of watching film with my coach, who was pissed all day long. “You gotta do a better job of tackling there.” “We gotta make that play.” “Y’all need to be better than that.”

VN Store

Back