Bluray/DVD Deals discussion

Serious question. What does blu-ray have over standard DVD? My wife is looking into buying one.

I went Blu-ray about three years ago and now some 400+ titles later haven't looked back. Now of course all the benefits of having Blu-ray only comes if you have a good HDTV and most importantly the Blu-ray player is properly connected to the TV via HDMI cables.

I knew someone who kept telling me they got a Blu-ray and couldn't tell the difference between it and standard DVD. I found out they didn't have it connected with HDMI.

For starters the picture quality of Blu-ray is amazing the same with sound quality but that is mainly noticeable only if you have surround sound (with I don't have). I also don't have a 3D player or TV either so can't give an opinion on it.

Now some Blu-rays look better than others of course new releases will look the best. Older releases really depends on the transfer the studio/company uses of the film and or how much time/money goes into the restoration.

I am a member at Blu-ray.com its free and you don't have to signup but you can look up every Blu-ray release and most of them have reviews with pictures on video quality, sound quality, special features etc...

Blu-ray is really almost even now with DVD when it comes to prices on releases usually with in $3-$5 for fims and $8-$10 for TV shows. New releases usually come with a DVD &/or a Digital copy.

New release catalog (older) titles regular SRP in the $12-15 range and lots of stores like Walmart have $5 & $9.88 bins. Then there is Black Friday where at Walmart the last several years lots of titles for $3.96, $6.96 or $9.96!

Last edited:
I went Blu-ray about three years ago and now some 400+ titles later haven't looked back. Now of course all the benefits of having Blu-ray only comes if you have a good HDTV and most importantly the Blu-ray player is properly connected to the TV via HDMI cables.

I knew someone who kept telling me they got a Blu-ray and couldn't tell the difference between it and standard DVD. I found out they didn't have it connected with HDMI.

For starters the picture quality of Blu-ray is amazing the same with sound quality but that is mainly noticeable only if you have surround sound (with I don't have). I also don't have a 3D player or TV either so can't give an opinion on it.

Now some Blu-rays look better than others of course new releases will look the best. Older releases really depends on the transfer the studio/company uses of the film and or how much time/money goes into the restoration.

I am a member at Blu-ray.com its free and you don't have to signup but you can look up every Blu-ray release and most of them have reviews with pictures on video quality, sound quality, special features etc...

Blu-ray is really almost even now with DVD when it comes to prices on releases usually with in $3-$5 for fims and $8-$10 for TV shows. New releases usually come with a DVD &/or a Digital copy.

New release catalog (older) titles regular SRP in the $12-15 range and lots of stores like Walmart have $5 & $9.88 bins. Then there is Black Friday where at Walmart the last several years lots of titles for $3.96, $6.96 or $9.96!

Yep. I was one of those that couldn't see the dif. However, since I have now upgraded to a 50" smart tv and can see a remarkable dif in pix on regular programming, I am willing to upgrade my DVD to blu-ray.

As far as sound, I have a Polk sound bar w/sub and the sound is great.

The big question for me is, can the blu-ray player play standard DVD's?
And what brand blu-ray would you recommend?

Thanks for the info. I'd rather get the answer here than from a sales person.

Yep. I was one of those that couldn't see the dif. However, since I have now upgraded to a 50" smart tv and can see a remarkable dif in pix on regular programming, I am willing to upgrade my DVD to blu-ray.

As far as sound, I have a Polk sound bar w/sub and the sound is great.

The big question for me is, can the blu-ray player play standard DVD's?
And what brand blu-ray would you recommend?

Thanks for the info. I'd rather get the answer here than from a sales person.
Absolutely! However I ended up getting rid of most of my DVD's and getting the Blu-ray version's.

I have a Samsung player so that along with Sony (which was the original Blu-ray maker along with their PS4) & Panasonic are probably the top three followed closely by LG, Vizio & Philips.

You can get a really good Blu-ray player now days for $60-$100 I would not got over $100. In fact if you have any really good (respectable) pawn shops I would look there first. My local pawn shop (which is a small chain store US Money Shop) they have Blu-ray players for $30-$50 just ask if they have been tested or even let you hook it up in store and test it. (Make sure it includes remote)

Absolutely! However I ended up getting rid of most of my DVD's and getting the Blu-ray version's.

I have a Samsung player so that along with Sony (which was the original Blu-ray maker along with their PS4) & Panasonic are probably the top three followed closely by LG, Vizio & Philips.

You can get a really good Blu-ray player now days for $60-$100 I would not got over $100. In fact if you have any really good (respectable) pawn shops I would look there first. My local pawn shop (which is a small chain store US Money Shop) they have Blu-ray players for $30-$50 just ask if they have been tested or even let you hook it up in store and test it. (Make sure it includes remote)

Thanks for all the info. That will be my next goodie purchase. Then I can start replacing my standards. Your info makes my wife feel better about it also.

Thank you!

Reactions: 1 person
Thought some here might be interested in this! :unsure:

EHQyvXw.png

LBGR33N.png

Titles included:

Fort Apache
Cahill: U.S. Marshall
The Train Robbers
Rio Bravo
The Searchers

I will be picking up the stand alone releases of Cahill: U.S. Marshall and The Train Robbers since I already have the others.

The set has a SRP of $54.00 so someone will probably have it under $45. That's under $9.00 a film not bad for Blu-ray!
Head's up if your interested in this!

Best Buy currently has this up for Pre-Order for $42.99 with Free Shipping. That's a little over Eight and half dollars a title!

John Wayne Western Collection (Blu-ray Disc) (5 Disc) (Boxed Set)

They also have the individual releases of Rio Bravo, Cahill & The Train Robbers for Pre-Order for $9.99 each.

I have a question that needs an answer.....The Hobbit: Battle of the 5 Armies will be released come this Tuesday the 24th. Does anyone know when the "extended edition" on blu-ray will be released? Thanks in advance!!

I have a question that needs an answer.....The Hobbit: Battle of the 5 Armies will be released come this Tuesday the 24th. Does anyone know when the "extended edition" on blu-ray will be released? Thanks in advance!!

I checked Blu-ray.com (great website/message boards) and its not listed on the upcoming release dates yet.

However, if you go by The Desolation of Smaug which was released last April (8th) and the Extended Edition was then released on November (4th)!

I checked Blu-ray.com (great website/message boards) and its not listed on the upcoming release dates yet.

However, if you go by The Desolation of Smaug which was released last April (8th) and the Extended Edition was then released on November (4th)!

Thanks for the feedback. I had a feeling that the "extended edition" w/extra scenes & behind-the-camera stuff on blu-ray would be coming out later this year which is an extra extra wait period for us Hobbit fans.

Just picked up "gone girl" on eBay for 14 dollars, free shipping so you save 6 bucks. Here's the user

rafalosophy

Thought I would give a heads up on some of the Blu-ray titles releasing today!

Jurassic World (3D as well)
Back To The Future Trilogy (30th Anniversary Edition)
Back in Time (Documentary on the BTTF Franchise)
Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)
Z for Zachariah
Lonesome Dove- The Original Miniseries Event
Nurse Jackie - Seventh Season
The Lifeguard (Starring Kristen Bell)
The Oblong Box (1969, Starring Vincent Price & Christopher Lee)
I Spit on Your Grave III: Vengeance Is Mine
The Vatican Tapes
The Exorcism of Molly Hartley (Unrated Edition)
PBS' The Widower
Lynyrd Skynyrd: Pronounced 'Lĕh-nérd 'Skin-nérd & Second Helping - Live From Jacksonville at The Florida Theatre

Yes, Yes and yes!! If you have never watched them you are in for a treat!

Band of Brothers is one of the best mini-series of all time! The Pacific while not on BoB level is also very good in its on right.

I think Pacific had better special effects and more realistic but BoB better character development.

I meant to post this last night..

Releasing on Blu-ray today.

The Martian
Hotel Transylvania 2
The Standford Prison Experiment
Bitter Rice
(1949) Criterion
The American Friend (1977) Criterion
The Devil Wears Prada (10th Ann. Edition)
Figures in a Landscape (1970) Robert Shaw, Malcolm McDowell
How I Won the War (1967) John Lennon, Michael Crawford
Mr. Robot: The Complete First Season

The Martian
Hotel Transylvania 2
Bitter Rice
(1949) Criterion
Anyone have Downton Abbey on Blu Ray?

The Martian
Hotel Transylvania 2
Bitter Rice
(1949) Criterion

The Martian - is a must have for any BD collection. Great movie, great acting, powerful graphics - only one weakness - DTS HD. Dolby Atmos is the way to go. I cannot stress enough how important a quality sound system is to truly enjoy the new audio codecs. I'm not talking soundbars, crap IMO. For you serious movie buffs consider checking out any new receiver that offers the Atmos codec. It basically takes PLIIz to a different level.

VN Store

Back