Billy Napier (La-Lafayette)

I think he thinks his sh!t doesn’t stink and is gambling on a perfect situation. I’d rather have Freeze, Kiffin or Chadwell that wants to be here and would win year 1.

Why exactly do you get that impression? So what that he's turned down jobs. I respect that he didn't bounce when a bigger name after him. Not a thing wrong with him waiting for the ideal fit to come along. Unlike some Coach's that change jobs every 2 years because some extra money gets thrown his way.

Reactions: VolForLife83
Why exactly do you get that impression? So what that he's turned down jobs. I respect that he didn't bounce when a bigger name after him. Not a thing wrong with him waiting for the ideal fit to come along. Unlike some Coach's that change jobs every 2 years because some extra money gets thrown his way.
Right. I'm not taking a job if it don't fit and I'm starting out in a failed setup

As far as Napier is concerned, when you’re a winner you can afford to be choosy.

Go VOLS

Foolish? I know a lot of things changed but he beat teams he was supposed to. Kiffin whipped Georgia 45-19. He was only a FG kicker away from beating Bama, We played a defending NC Florida 23-13 with Tebow and hung in game. The excitement of black jerseys vs SC and a big win vs Spurrier. Kiffin also making it to a bowl game with a winning season something that hasn’t happened since he left. Sign me up!

Butch Jones had two 9-win seasons, three winning seasons and 3 bowl victories. So yes, it has happened since Kiffin left. Jones also beat Georgia twice, Florida once, and ranked VT in Bristol. He easily put together the best stretch of Tennessee football since Fulmer was fired. But a lot of our stupid fans act like he was worse than Dooley.

Butch Jones had two 9-win seasons, three winning seasons and 3 bowl victories. So yes, it has happened since Kiffin left. Jones also beat Georgia twice, Florida once, and ranked VT in Bristol. He easily put together the best stretch of Tennessee football since Fulmer was fired. But a lot of our stupid fans act like he was worse than Dooley.
The only problem butch had was continually falling short of expectations. Then the wheels fell off in the crucial year.

The only problem butch had was continually falling short of expectations. Then the wheels fell off in the crucial year.

Yep. But I think some of our fans would rather meet 5-win expectations than fall short of expectations with 9 wins. Butch was 1000x better than Dooley, but they seem to hate Butch more.

Butch was a decent coach with an offensive philosophy that worked pretty well and the ability to attract talent thanks to his car salesman persona. But he chased stars, regardless if they were the best for his scheme, and he made promises he couldn't keep. He ultimately lost the locker room in 2017 which was his final undoing. When the team quits on you, you don't have a prayer.

I don't have inner knowledge, but it wouldn't surprise me if he started to lose the locker room after the Jalen Hurd ordeal. I just get that feeling from the players that have spoken up about the incident in support of Hurd. We know he lied to several players, including Jennings who was an emotional leader in the locker room. And that sort of treatment tends to rub teammates the wrong way.

Mike Huegenin said Napier was ran out of Clemson and “encouraged” to leave bama. Sounds like Pruitt.2 personality-wise!

Well someone even reasonable competent can be successful here. Butch would always take the foot off the gas and start trying to run out the clock as soon as we got a lead. It didn’t matter if it was in the second quarter. Literally, he’d take a knee with 2 minutes and 2 timeouts left in the half even when we got the back back with good field position. This so long as we had the lead. He was also really bad at getting the best personnel on the field. He twice started the season with Worley ahead of dobbs and had Kamara behind Hurd the whole time they were both here. And yet despite all the iq shortcomings he still accomplished what you listed above. That just goes to show that the right guy could win big here.

You’ve got a perfectly good coach who WANTS this job (Freeze). But once again we will sit on our hands and not take the next step. He will likely be hired by another team at some point and kick our ass for years to come.

Reactions: BIGORANGEBUBBA
I think he thinks his sh!t doesn’t stink and is gambling on a perfect situation. I’d rather have Freeze, Kiffin or Chadwell that wants to be here and would win year 1.
Know way you know anything about Billy....quit making s*** up

VN Store

Back