Bilas: why was Tennessee rated ahead of Mich St?

Mich St’s best road or neutral site win outside of their conference was at Florida by 4. Now that was before the Stone kid got hurt. They have 3 losses to non NCAA teams

Tennessee beat Gonzaga on a neutral floor, beat Louisville on a neutral floor, who Mich St lost to. Tennessee has no losses to non-NCAA teams. Resumes aren’t close.
We beat Kentucky on a neutral floor too.

So what is a classic Rick Barnes finish?

I stated this yesterday and I will again:
In 16 years Barnes got Texas to the tourney every year but once. He got them to at least the seeet 16, 7 out of 16. He got them at least to the second round 12 times. He got them to 5 elite 8’s and a final 4.

In the 20 years before he got there they simply made the tourney just half the time. Never made a final 4, and had just 2 sweet 16’s and 2 elite 8’s (being the same years)

You take a “non basketball” school to the elite 8 almost a 3rd of the time (over a 16 year period)........ and somehow you suck as a post season coach?
And let me add look what they have now. Went for the “sure thing” in Shocka Smart and he’s a bust.

Reactions: JoAllan
So what is a classic Rick Barnes finish?

I stated this yesterday and I will again:
In 16 years Barnes got Texas to the tourney every year but once. He got them to at least the seeet 16, 7 out of 16. He got them at least to the second round 12 times. He got them to 5 elite 8’s and a final 4.

In the 20 years before he got there they simply made the tourney just half the time. Never made a final 4, and had just 2 sweet 16’s and 2 elite 8’s (being the same years)

You take a “non basketball” school to the elite 8 almost a 3rd of the time (over a 16 year period)........ and somehow you suck as a post season coach?

Yeah yeah. Just like Butch Jones got us to three bowl games in a row...... got it.

But if you look at the regular season's Texas had and their national ranking, they underperformed.

I totally get they sucked before Barnes and suck now just like Tennessee. But the knock is that they flub down the stretch when their ranking and record says they should have done better more often.

Yeah yeah. Just like Butch Jones got us to three bowl games in a row...... got it.

But if you look at the regular season's Texas had and their national ranking, they underperformed.

I totally get they sucked before Barnes and suck now just like Tennessee. But the knock is that they flub down the stretch when their ranking and record says they should have done better more often.
Could say the same about Pearl, Bill Self, John Cal, hell just about any coach that makes it to the tourney every year. Only one team goes home happy every year. You can find faults on just about every coach if you want. I choose to enjoy the ride

Lol, I was commenting of the “usual Barnes tourney exit”...... and backed that up with facts. Then you come back with some Butch Jones crap..... I never liked jones and there is NO comparison....... Barnes got Texas deep into the tourney a third of the time. He made Texas basketball........ not saying he is one of the best, but to try and claim he can’t coach in the tournament is ignorant........ and just going with what people say rather than knowing the truth.

And let me add look what they have now. Went for the “sure thing” in Shocka Smart and he’s a bust.
We beat Kentucky on a neutral floor too.

I know but I was trying to emphasize non conference wins. Right now, I don’t know really how good the Big 10 is. Very competitive inside their league but mich or mich st don’t have any marque non-conference wins on the road or on neutral floors.

VN Store

Back