Bignewt's first novel...

Seems no one on Vol Nation reads books anymore or they just aren't into what I'm cooking.

Just finished John Adams and in the middle of two others by Glen Meade. I’m putting yours on my list next. Congrats on such a big undertaking and getting it finished! I find it hard to write the address on an envelope, let alone a novel. Looking forward to checking it out.

Reactions: bignewt
Hey man thank you!
No problem man. It was and interesting read. You have a good way with words, and paint the picture well. Only complaint is the break up of your PoV chapters. With out some sort of header (ex like grrm uses) especially early on I got lost a few times trying to keep up with who's PoV I was in. That was a little aggravating early on, but became less of an issue later on as the I got more "in tune" with the characters. They each had their own "feel" you did that real well.

No problem man. It was and interesting read. You have a good way with words, and paint the picture well. Only complaint is the break up of your PoV chapters. With out some sort of header (ex like grrm uses) especially early on I got lost a few times trying to keep up with who's PoV I was in. That was a little aggravating early on, but became less of an issue later on as the I got more "in tune" with the characters. They each had their own "feel" you did that real well.
Thanks for the feedback i had some concern about that. I even considered using symbols as headers for each chapter so you could see the symbol and know who it is.
Did it feel too short? Ive gotten some initial feedback about the 70k word threshold and its only at around 53k. I could add to it but it seems forced.

Again thanks for reading it and im glad you liked it!

Thanks for the feedback i had some concern about that. I even considered using symbols as headers for each chapter so you could see the symbol and know who it is.
Did it feel too short? Ive gotten some initial feedback about the 70k word threshold and its only at around 53k. I could add to it but it seems forced.

I haven't read yours yet (now that it's on Amazon, the likelihood went up 98%). However, I will say as an avid reader, tell your story. Don't worry about "thresholds," just let it happen.

Symbols or something would have worked great.

As for being too short: I think it was fine. It took me two days of semi steady reading, maybe 8hrs total, which is about right for a normal novel for me. It seemed pretty well balanced, and didn't drag out or jump to much. The transition from body of story to climax might have been just a hair quick and could have maybe used a little more set up, BUT that is just a matter of personal taste. The next person who reads it might feel the exact opposite. All in all it was well worth the kindle price and the time reading it. Definitely something different.

@bignewt , First of all congratulations on your novel. I can’t imagine what kind of time and effort and research he takes place to complete something like that. I have a great deal of respect for authors who put their ideas, intellect and imagination on paper whether I agree with or enjoy it. I think it takes a lot of guts putting your name on something like that .
I wanted to ask you...
How does a person float a screenplay? For example, I love a particular novel and think it would be very well adapted to a big screen . If a script for a novel adapted to Hollywood has been purchased by a studio or independent producer could you write your own interpretation or vision for it and see if yours is more attractive than the one already purchased? Or is it pretty much a done deal?

Last edited:
I haven't read yours yet (now that it's on Amazon, the likelihood went up 98%). However, I will say as an avid reader, tell your story. Don't worry about "thresholds," just let it happen.
Exactly, if you try to force the story to fit a mold, it will come out in the story telling. And not in a good way. Tell your story and let the chips fall where they may.

Symbols or something would have worked great.

As for being too short: I think it was fine. It took me two days of semi steady reading, maybe 8hrs total, which is about right for a normal novel for me. It seemed pretty well balanced, and didn't drag out or jump to much. The transition from body of story to climax might have been just a hair quick and could have maybe used a little more set up, BUT that is just a matter of personal taste. The next person who reads it might feel the exact opposite. All in all it was well worth the kindle price and the time reading it. Definitely something different.

You don't know how much it means to get honest feedback.

Reactions: chatsworth_vol
@bignewt , First of all congratulations on your novel. I can’t imagine what kind of time and effort and research he takes place to complete something like that. I have a great deal of respect for authors who put their ideas, intellect and imagination on paper whether I agree with or enjoy it. I think it takes a lot of guts putting your name on something like that .
I wanted to ask you...
How does a person float a screenplay? For example, I love a particular novel and think it would be very well adapted to a big screen . If a script for a novel adapted to Hollywood has been purchased by a studio or independent producer could you write your own interpretation or vision for it and see if yours is more attractive than the one already purchased? Or is it pretty much a done deal?

Yeah from my limited non-lawyer knowledge a novel's film rights can be purchased by pretty much anyone. Then they have the right to adapt it to a screenplay. Usually there is a time limit on those rights and if the movie is not produced the rights revert back to the author of the book. Now if the book's rights have not been purchased, anyone can adapt a screenplay from it but before it is produced the intellectual property is owned by the author or their estate and must be purchased. You could always write your version and approach whoever owns the rights and see if they like your approach.

I've written a lot of screenplays myself. I guess I still had a film lean to my novel. I could easily see it as a movie, I'd love for some entity to want to turn it into a film!

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Yeah from my limited non-lawyer knowledge a novel's film rights can be purchased by pretty much anyone. Then they have the right to adapt it to a screenplay. Usually there is a time limit on those rights and if the movie is not produced the rights revert back to the author of the book. Now if the book's rights have not been purchased, anyone can adapt a screenplay from it but before it is produced the intellectual property is owned by the author or their estate and must be purchased. You could always write your version and approach whoever owns the rights and see if they like your approach.

I've written a lot of screenplays myself. I guess I still had a film lean to my novel. I could easily see it as a movie, I'd love for some entity to want to turn it into a film!

Thanks, best of luck to yours. I look forwarding to checking it out.

VN Store

Back