Biggest Freshman Impact Predictions

Joe Dirt

Business Up Front
The two 5* OT's starting spots are theirs to lose, so we are looking beyond them at who might have the biggest impact on the team this year. My prediction is Roman Harrison. He doesn't have the traditional build of a big time OLB, but the guy just freakin gets after it. Opposite Darrel Taylor, I don't have much confidence in Deandre Johnson to make a big impact, and Jordan Allen hasn't shown anything to date either. This is where Harrison comes in. He has an amazingly high motor, which makes up for his lack of size and speed (Derek Barnett?).

He played DT in high school out of necessity, and still overpowered much larger OG's because he's a freak in the weight room and wears people down by not taking any plays off. I think he will be a 5-7 sack contributor this year, and a starter by week 4.

Who ya'll got?

Last edited:
Crouch looked like quite an athlete in Spring Camp. So he would be a finalist.
I don't think it will be To'oto'o because he's coming off a foot injury.
Morris and Wright definitely whether they start or not.
Jalon McCollough, Jackson Lowe and Elijah Simmons are all sound possibilities.

I would peg Akporoghene as the "under the radar" good OL that will surprise some folks.

Purely from a depth perspective and the amount of time to "learn" certain positions, I would go with TE Jackson Lowe, and OTs Morris & Wright.

Our 3 top rated recruits were OLinemen.... I would expect at least 1 of them to come in and make an impact early.
pretty sure it was the two Olinement and the two LB's, Crouch and HT....will have to check. our next best OL was Lampley, and i think he was around 93 rating or so?

yeah, lampley was a 91 rating. HT and QC were the next two highest rated guys.

Reactions: KBVol
pretty sure it was the two Olinement and the two LB's, Crouch and HT....will have to check. our next best OL was Lampley, and i think he was around 93 rating or so?

yeah, lampley was a 91 rating. HT and QC were the next two highest rated guys.
Depending on the site there were several others above Lampley. Keyton, Harrison, McCullough was pretty high.

Reactions: jakez4ut
Savion Williams is listed as a freshman on the UT website. I thought he played several games of JUCO last year and will actually be classed as a sophomore this fall? Anyway, based on the lack of experienced depth on the DL, we'll have to see Savion, Elijah from Pearl-Cohn, and the redshirt freshmen Garland and Harris step up.

I think Brown and Lowe will both make an impact at TE. And I really hope to see To'oto'o make a big impact this year at LB. He looks the part.

I forgot to include Greg Emerson at DL among the redshirt freshman. We need all or nearly all of these young guys to step up big if we're going to be decent this year on the DL.

Last edited:
If we're including RSF, then we desperately need Greg Emerson to make a major impact. I heard (I think on VQ pod) that he's had a nice offseason. People forget that he was rated a 98 in the composite before his ankle injury. A big year from him would be enormous for the DL.

If we're including RSF, then we desperately need Greg Emerson to make a major impact. I heard (I think on VQ pod) that he's had a nice offseason. People forget that he was rated a 98 in the composite before his ankle injury. A big year from him would be enormous for the DL.
totally agree. he's one that i'm really rooting for. and it'd be great if he came in and lived up to the potential. i remember when he committed, there was real talk of him working up to be a 5* until he got hurt.

the RS year last year had to help his overall health, but it's been a long time since he's played a full schedule, practice and all....so i could see some rust. but absolutely he's one we need to come back in a big way.

Offense is going to be better than expected. If We ar going to have a better than expected year, the impact freshmen/players have to come from the defense, and the DL especially. Harrison wold be a great candidate, but got to have others step up as well. Sure am looking forward to seeing it, but been burned a little too much the last few years to get to excited about it. Cautiously optimistic

Reactions: savannahfan
E.Simmons is the sleeper. He seems to have the capacity to pump up the entire "D" if he develops well. Morris having an early impact is likely and what UT needs most along the offensive front. JMO

I'm thinking McCullough,Harrison, and Crouch are names we will be hearing a good bit by the end of the season. It'll be interesting to see if Gray or Keyton make significant contributions as freshman as well.

Reactions: tennvols77

VN Store

Back