Biggest disgrace last night

Was ESPN’s play of the call of Walkers TD run in 1980 by Larry “I’m a homer for anyone who will pay me” Munson (Falcons, Braves, even Vanderbilt) but never showed a call by John Ward (far better announcer, not as good a cheerleader) or even the Dobbs nail boot call.
Agree. Munson was awful, straight trash as an announcer and that “hobnail boot” call sucked.

Reactions: feathersax
Was ESPN’s play of the call of Walkers TD run in 1980 by Larry “I’m a homer for anyone who will pay me” Munson (Falcons, Braves, even Vanderbilt) but never showed a call by John Ward (far better announcer, not as good a cheerleader) or even the Dobbs nail boot call.

Would like to get your take of Lindsey Nelson.

Muson was a classless, georgia hack and bumkin, no more, no less!
RIP Larry Munson, you s.o.b.

Lindsay Nelson was the ultimate professional announcer. Even to think of him and Larry Munson in the same thought is disgusting filth of the mind.
Just going by your statement, "I’m a homer for anyone who will pay me” Munson (Falcons, Braves, even Vanderbilt)."

There are a lot of announcers that work for several teams, leagues, entities.

Never was a fan of Munson, but I don't blame him for doing what he needed to do.

Just going by your statement, "I’m a homer for anyone who will pay me” Munson (Falcons, Braves, even Vanderbilt)."

There are a lot of announcers that work for several teams, leagues, entities.

Never was a fan of Munson, but I don't blame him for doing what he needed to do.

He was considered a “homer” For every team he worked. Those aren’t my words, they’re words other announcers have used to describe him. He just ended up at Georgia even though he never attended Ga, never lived in Ga until he went to Atlanta and lived the last several years of his life in Tennessee even when he was doing Ga games . Lindsay Nelson was NEVER described by his peers as a “homer”.

At Least Dobbs killed the Hobnail boot thing
They still play it regularly. Like it or not, that Herschel over Bill Bates call, the 1980 Florida call and the Hobnail boot call made Munson college football famous, no one knows who John Ward is outside of the State of Tennessee. Rest in peace.

Case in point, we're all here talking smack about Munson, most UGA fans wouldn't know the name of any of our radio people. As someone said in the Jake Fromm sings Rocky Top thread, none of our players would know the words to UGA's song and that's true too.

Last edited:
Munson could have only been a treasure in the state of Georgia. No one else would have hired him.
Milo Hamilton was with the Braves when they first arrived in Atlanta.

Sadly, my initial thought was this was going to be another thread about how the fans are the reason the program sucks.

Munson could have only been a treasure in the state of Georgia. No one else would have hired him.
Milo Hamilton was with the Braves when they first arrived in Atlanta.

Supposedly Munson and Hamilton couldn’t stand each other. Munson was the one to go. Hamilton stayed on till he wore out his welcome. He went on to Houston I believe

They still play it regularly. Like it or not, that Herschel over Bill Bates call, the 1980 Florida call and the Hobnail boot call made Munson college football famous, no one knows who John Ward is outside of the State of Tennessee. Rest in peace.

You’re correct. Primary reason was Ward never made it about him and he rarely worked anything outside of UT.

The style now, is that the broadcasters tend to just slobber all over whoever is winning. If and when we start winning, we'll get the benefit of it. I agree it didn't used to be like that, back in the day when fewer games were televised the broadcast pool was a lot better, full of people who actually studied the teams extensively and could make more insightful comments. Everybody's auditioning for a hot take show now. I actually think Todd Blackledge is probably the best color analyst there is now though.
I like Blackledge - more analysis, less nonsense. Usually turn the sound off for Danielson.

Reactions: HollowaytoSeivers

Case in point, we're all here talking smack about Munson, most UGA fans wouldn't know the name of any of our radio people. As someone said in the Jake Fromm sings Rocky Top thread, none of our players would know the words to UGA's song and that's true too.
Lol... The words are literally "Glory, glory to ole Georgia. G-E-O-R-G-I-A". It's pretty easy to pick up.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
You’re correct. Primary reason was Ward never made it about him and he rarely worked anything outside of UT.
Ward had class. A true VFL. Loved the school like nobody else. At his eulogy, someone mentioned that he was hawking natural gas in the home city of TVA, the regions electric generation king.. Always liked the English chick saying "Natural.........Gas"

Ward had class. A true VFL. Loved the school like nobody else. At his eulogy, someone mentioned that he was hawking natural gas in the home city of TVA, the regions electric generation king.. Always liked the English chick saying "Natural.........Gas"
John insisted that nobody in the Vol Network use the word “we” for Tennessee on air.
He said that even though fans obviously knew that they were pro Vol, that the broadcast shouldn’t sound like a bunch of homers with no objectivity. Ward was a true pro.
Now we have someone who can barely get half the names correct and can not paint a picture with his words at all.

Reactions: feathersax
Supposedly Munson and Hamilton couldn’t stand each other. Munson was the one to go. Hamilton stayed on till he wore out his welcome. He went on to Houston I believe
Yes, & I recall Milo getting sideways with Hamk Aaron in Atlanta. Pretty quick way to an exit.

Reactions: wmcovol

VN Store

Back