Biggest area of improvement for 2020

In the SEC, UT was #1 in sack %, #1 in sacks per game vs the conference, #3 in sacks overall, and #2 in sacks vs the conference.

There's always room for improvement but UT's pass rush was very good by comparison.

It seems like we only got this from blitz pressure, when it was a 4 man rush we seemed to not affect the QB, though i could be wrong, im sure PFF has stats for it

1. QB play
2. Pass Rushing
3. Stop giving up the big play
1. We were 6th in the conference in passing this past year with fewer attempts and completions than the top5.
2. We were pretty much ranked 1-3 in every conference pass rushing stat last season.
3. Vols were 5th (27th nationally) in the conference in yards per play allowed behind only Ga, Alabama, Fl and Auburn.
There's a lot more places the Vols need to improve on than these 3 areas I feel.

Last edited:
It seems like we only got this from blitz pressure, when it was a 4 man rush we seemed to not affect the QB, though i could be wrong, im sure PFF has stats for it
Taylor was 3rd in the league with 9 sacks as a down lineman. Every team has blitz pressure that equates in their end of year stats. Pass rushing is proving to be one of the best things that a Pruitt coached defense does.

I am hoping and praying HB will fill that spot.
He's certainly got a chance I think, I just don't believe it will be this upcoming season. It all will depend on how JG performs vs Oklahoma and/or Fl. If we beat Oklahoma with JG at QB then he will very likely start vs Fl as well. His play in those 2 games will determine how early HB gets his shot. If JG struggles vs Oklahoma he may be done as a starter, if he goes 1-1 in those 2 games he'll stay the main guy the majority of the season unless he lays an egg or 2 like early last season. I personally think that we are going to beat both Oklahoma and Florida early next year with JG at QB and we'll win both those games based off our defensive play and balanced offensive production. HB will play this year, every chance Pruitt gets I believe he'll play him I just think that JG and the offense will perform good enough to keep the veteran in at QB for the entire season.

2019 Team Statistics
So you think that we need to be top 2 or 3 passing as opposed to 6th if we are going to improve? Who on our roster is capable of being the top 1 or 2 QBs in the league?

Did you even click on any of the categories and sort them before you made that post?

Total passing yards - JG - 9th
Completions - JG - 9th
Attempts - JG - 9th
Comp % - JG - 7th
YPA - JG - 3rd
Longest Pas Play - JG - 9th
Passing TDs - JG - 6th
Interceptions - JG 5th
Sacks - JG - 7th
QBR - JG - 4th

Best case is a composite ranking of 6.8 rounded up to 7th in the conference in passing. Unfortunately, not all of those categories are weighted equally, but you are too enamored by "passing efficiency" to acknowledge that being unable to move the offense and score with passes, negates being 3rd in the conference in YPA.

This is with two NFL-bound receivers on the roster.

Reactions: sjt18 and Vol524
Did you even click on any of the categories and sort them before you made that post?

Total passing yards - JG - 9th
Completions - JG - 9th
Attempts - JG - 9th
Comp % - JG - 7th
YPA - JG - 3rd
Longest Pas Play - JG - 9th
Passing TDs - JG - 6th
Interceptions - JG 5th
Sacks - JG - 7th
QBR - JG - 4th

Best case is a composite ranking of 6.8 rounded up to 7th in the conference in passing. Unfortunately, not all of those categories are weighted equally, but you are too enamored by "passing efficiency" to acknowledge that being unable to move the offense and score with passes, negates being 3rd in the conference in YPA.

This is with two NFL-bound receivers on the roster.
Your argument is dumb and you are cherry picking many irrelevant stats to get your ranking.

Efficiency shows literally how efficient they are.

Attempts and total completions are not how you measure success. Those are system and situation dependent.

Rate/efficiency stats tell how good a qb was.
YPA 3rd
qbr- 4th
Completion percentage-7

Also to be 9 in attempts and completions but 7th in passing tds shows he was better than several SEC qbs.

He was about 4-6 as far as SEC qbs.

Your argument is dumb and you are cherry picking many irrelevant stats to get your ranking.

Efficiency shows literally how efficient they are.

Attempts and total completions are not how you measure success. Those are system and situation dependent.

Rate/efficiency stats tell how good a qb was.
YPA 3rd
qbr- 4th
Completion percentage-7

Also to be 9 in attempts and completions but 7th in passing tds shows he was better than several SEC qbs.

He was about 4-6 as far as SEC qbs.

Those stats are literally from the page that @PulaskiVolFan linked.

Your obsession with JG and your desire to elevate YPA as somehow the "most important" of all QB stats is as bizarre as it is laughable.

The stats show JG to be exactly what we've all seen him to be, a middle-of-the-conference at best QB, in a year when half the conference was playing backups or freshmen at QB, or in the case of Kentucky, a wide receiver.

JG only managed 15 TDs in regulation, as 1 of those came during overtime against BYU. He was good for 1.2 TDs a game, responsible for 7.3 PPG.

If Pruitt wants his raise and extension after next season, he'll instruct his coaching staff to spend their efforts on the QBs on the roster that still have room to grow, and haven't plateaued at mildly-serviceable mediocrity.

Your obsession with JG and your desire to elevate YPA as somehow the "most important" of all QB stats is as bizarre as it is laughable.

The stats show JG to be exactly what we've all seen him to be, a middle-of-the-conference at best QB, in a year when half the conference was playing backups or freshmen at QB, or in the case of Kentucky, a wide receiver.

JG only managed 15 TDs in regulation, as 1 of those came during overtime against BYU. He was good for 1.2 TDs a game, responsible for 7.3 PPG.

If Pruitt wants his raise and extension after next season, he'll instruct his coaching staff to spend their efforts on the QBs on the roster that still have room to grow, and haven't plateaued at mildly-serviceable mediocrity.
In regulation. lmao.

You stay trying to find a way to make things worse.

If you are measuring how effective a qb was then you use rate and efficiency stats. Raw total stats are the least effective measure of a qb performance.

I think you are right but to me that's even more encouraging. Pruitt brings pressure from so many different angles that opponents cannot possibly prepare for it.

If UT gets better pressure from the front 3 and the jack then it could be a lot of fun. Oddly, QB pressures lagged sacks pretty significantly. Supports your idea about getting sacks when they brought extra guys.

Any stat that can be twisted into a claim that JG is a great QB... @k-town_king will declare to be the "most important". Those that demonstrate his fatal weaknesses... he'll declare unimportant.

Good post. Accurate assessment... meaning k-town's head is just about to explode.

Did you lie or are you that deluded? He posted a list of stats that included one or two that JG isn't bad in. This is pure projection... and you are a fundamentally dishonest person.

In regulation. lmao.

You stay trying to find a way to make things worse.

If you are measuring how effective a qb was then you use rate and efficiency stats. Raw total stats are the least effective measure of a qb performance.
Does competition level count???

He's certainly got a chance I think, I just don't believe it will be this upcoming season. It all will depend on how JG performs vs Oklahoma and/or Fl. If we beat Oklahoma with JG at QB then he will very likely start vs Fl as well. His play in those 2 games will determine how early HB gets his shot. If JG struggles vs Oklahoma he may be done as a starter, if he goes 1-1 in those 2 games he'll stay the main guy the majority of the season unless he lays an egg or 2 like early last season. I personally think that we are going to beat both Oklahoma and Florida early next year with JG at QB and we'll win both those games based off our defensive play and balanced offensive production. HB will play this year, every chance Pruitt gets I believe he'll play him I just think that JG and the offense will perform good enough to keep the veteran in at QB for the entire season.
If someone does not pass JG by the first game then UT is in for more games where QB play costs the team a win. Maybe not as bad as BYU and Ga State... but definitely wins left on the field.

IU and Vandy defended JG because he processes so slow and doesn't anticipate throws. This makes him predictable.... and they figured it out. A team with better athletes on D would have destroyed UT like UF did.

Not that it requires any great brainwork to recognize the following. Still, I'd like to point out what are probably the biggest areas of improvement needed for a successful 2020 season. beyond obviously better QB, we need to get far better in our rezone opportunities. Too often either came away with no points are a mere field goal. Related to that is our need to stop assisting the opponents in stopping our red zone intrusions. Meaning to cut out the fumbles and penalties.

Reactions: volsrock09 and MAD
Not that it requires any great brainwork to recognize the following. Still, I'd like to point out what are probably the biggest areas of improvement needed for a successful 2020 season. beyond obviously better QB, we need to get far better in our rezone opportunities. Too often either came away with no points are a mere field goal. Related to that is our need to stop assisting the opponents in stopping our red zone intrusions. Meaning to cut out the fumbles and penalties.
I'd say we need to improve our win column by 7 games😁

Maybe. I just think it is more the other way round.

Lots of guys have multiple OC's. JG's problems aren't particularly OC related. He simply processes too slow and doesn't anticipate throws well. He never has. It manifests itself in different ways. At one point it was sacks. The OL improved enough that him holding the ball as much as a half second on average than the SEC's better QB's covered that. But he's too often late or misses passing windows altogether.

The announcer in the IU game hit on another aspect. He said that JG has to "see it" before he throws it. That shows up nowhere more than in the RZ where time and windows are compressed even more. I allowed myself to become hopeful with UK, USCe, and Mizzou. I thought maybe he was finally coming out of it. But then.... Vandy and especially IU.

IU wasn't a good D. By no stretch did they have SEC level defensive talent. Yet they figured JG out and made him look awful.
Regarding your last sentence, with all due respect to the IU defense, JG needs to help to look awful.

VN Store

Back