Biggest area of improvement for 2020

I think the OL play will be better at run blocking and even better at pass blocking. The improved running game will take pressure off of the passing game.
Maybe. I just think it is more the other way round.

Of course we need better QB play and I think the OL will be a catalyst for that. QB battles in the Spring will be interesting to say the least. JG keeping the same OC for the first time in college will hopefully help but he has fundamentals and mechanics to work on too.
Lots of guys have multiple OC's. JG's problems aren't particularly OC related. He simply processes too slow and doesn't anticipate throws well. He never has. It manifests itself in different ways. At one point it was sacks. The OL improved enough that him holding the ball as much as a half second on average than the SEC's better QB's covered that. But he's too often late or misses passing windows altogether.

The announcer in the IU game hit on another aspect. He said that JG has to "see it" before he throws it. That shows up nowhere more than in the RZ where time and windows are compressed even more. I allowed myself to become hopeful with UK, USCe, and Mizzou. I thought maybe he was finally coming out of it. But then.... Vandy and especially IU.

IU wasn't a good D. By no stretch did they have SEC level defensive talent. Yet they figured JG out and made him look awful.

Reactions: KBVol and nomads-11
Other than QB play it has to be our run game.

I'd like to see us turn into Pass rushing U.

Never let the QB have time to throw a good ball.

That will turn into INT's and more scoring and WINS for us.

We're still a couple of good recruiting classes away from having top notch depth so we lose little or nothing when a starter has to come off the field.

VFL...GBO!!!

Red Zone efficiency. I haven’t looked up what our TD% was, but I’m guessing it was pretty bad.

Also, please, please learn how to throw a freaking swing pass . I’ve honestly never seen a swing pass as poorly executed as we did last season.

Reactions: GameTime
The better question is "what's the biggest area for improvement other than QB play?" QB play is obviously #1 right now.

The run game is right up there IMO. It was not great last season. We had a couple of good games (e.g. Miss State) and then Eric Gray had a couple of monster games at the end (Vandy, Indiana), but we nevertheless had one of the weakest rushing attacks overall in the SEC. Gray has to continue to play like he did at the end of last season, the O-line needs to improve on run blocking, and we probably need a couple more RBs to step up their game.

Overall, we need the run game to take a major step forward this year, particularly given that we're losing Jauan Jennings and Marquez Calloway in the receiving game.
Overall I agree that the run game needs to step it up, but it doesn’t help when the defense doesn’t have to worry much about the passing game.

Maybe not the biggest area of improvement we need to see but is anyone else tired of fair catches what seems like almost every kick for 2 years now? That's not Tennessee football. When was the last time somebody took it to the house? They need to step it up.
Velus Jones says hello.

Maybe not the biggest area of improvement we need to see but is anyone else tired of fair catches what seems like almost every kick for 2 years now? That's not Tennessee football. When was the last time somebody took it to the house? They need to step it up.
U are right i think Ty Chandler was the last guy to house a kickoff return. We are usually really good at that phase of the game reguardless of what the rest of the team looks like

Biggest areas for improvement: QB, redzone offense, TE & short yardage runs. Lots of production lost with our WRs, but some great depth added particularly with Hyatt and Holiday. Our whole offense minus the line needs major improvement if we are to take the next step (and be competitive with Bama, UGA, UF, OU).

Reactions: CR-vol
1. QB play
2. Pass Rushing
3. Stop giving up the big play

I’m curious to know what everyone thinks is the biggest area of improvement needed for the 2020 season.

Side note: This doesn’t have to turn into another QB debate

1. QB play MUST be better, plain and simple. Big explosive plays while limiting turnovers.
2. The pass rush needs to be much faster and better and when a QB starts to escape it, they must be able to stop him from taking off and running.

Outside of QB, developing a dangerous run game is it for me. You could see some bright spots on occasion but it needs to be effective when you take on Fla, GA and Bama. I think it'll help the QB position in converting first downs, TDs in the red zone, and open up the passing game.

Biggest areas for improvement: QB, redzone offense, TE & short yardage runs. Lots of production lost with our WRs, but some great depth added particularly with Hyatt and Holiday. Our whole offense minus the line needs major improvement if we are to take the next step (and be competitive with Bama, UGA, UF, OU).

Good one. Outside of QB play which no-one could dispute and RB too for the most part we were just awful in the red zone. It's like every time we got there you just knew chances of zero points was highly likely. That HAS to change and if it doesn't everything else improving will be for nothing.

We will be most improved on the O line. We need to be greatly improved at QB play. The run game will be much better and that should help with QB play. All these improvements hinge on the O line.

Pass rush no debate
In the SEC, UT was #1 in sack %, #1 in sacks per game vs the conference, #3 in sacks overall, and #2 in sacks vs the conference.

There's always room for improvement but UT's pass rush was very good by comparison.

Maybe. I just think it is more the other way round.

Lots of guys have multiple OC's. JG's problems aren't particularly OC related. He simply processes too slow and doesn't anticipate throws well. He never has. It manifests itself in different ways. At one point it was sacks. The OL improved enough that him holding the ball as much as a half second on average than the SEC's better QB's covered that. But he's too often late or misses passing windows altogether.

The announcer in the IU game hit on another aspect. He said that JG has to "see it" before he throws it. That shows up nowhere more than in the RZ where time and windows are compressed even more. I allowed myself to become hopeful with UK, USCe, and Mizzou. I thought maybe he was finally coming out of it. But then.... Vandy and especially IU.

IU wasn't a good D. By no stretch did they have SEC level defensive talent. Yet they figured JG out and made him look awful.
How did JG look down the stretch with the game on the line? 6-9 for 91 yards when Vols needed winning plays, I thought he played pretty good in that situation.

I'd like to see us turn into Pass rushing U.

Never let the QB have time to throw a good ball.

That will turn into INT's and more scoring and WINS for us.

We're still a couple of good recruiting classes away from having top notch depth so we lose little or nothing when a starter has to come off the field.

VFL...GBO!!!
I don't think we are behind at all with depth on the defensive side of the ball, maybe a bit on the offensive side. Our roster is solid with NFL caliber players at nearly every position group on the team.

We will be most improved on the O line. We need to be greatly improved at QB play. The run game will be much better and that should help with QB play. All these improvements hinge on the O line.
2019 Team Statistics
So you think that we need to be top 2 or 3 passing as opposed to 6th if we are going to improve? Who on our roster is capable of being the top 1 or 2 QBs in the league?

VN Store

Back