Big ten cancels football

Hopefully, it is duly ignored since he has neither a medical degree or, ftm, an undergraduate degree...in anything relevant.

This never stopped literally millions of people from rendering an opinion on social media before. Why start now?

Degrees are overrated.
I've been to college and can tell you that just like has been proven before, most people forget 90+ percent of what they learned within about 5 years. I couldn't solve an integral or differential equation now to save my life. Why? Because I use literally zilch of that in my real life engineering world. Others may, but not this guy.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Degrees are overrated.
I've been to college and can tell you that just like has been proven before, most people forget 90+ percent of what they learned within about 5 years. I couldn't solve an integral or differential equation now to save my life. Why? Because I use literally zilch of that in my real life engineering world. Others may, but not this guy.
because yall dont understand what a degree means. It doesnt mean you know more than someone else. It means you were given a task with specific requirements and you were able to complete the task. The degree is the proof you can do it

Reactions: norrislakevol
we should just eliminate sports all together. might have a more productive society.

I hate to say it, I think you're on to something when it comes to college sports. Big time college football and basketball have distracted from the primary college purpose, education. Half the posters on VN don't believe a college education has any value, they're not supporting the university, they're rooting for a football team.

So let's turn all intercollegiate sports teams into university affiliated clubs that are allowed to be sponsored by private businesses. No scholarships, but the clubs can pay the players and the clubs could pay the educational expenses of the players. And no limits on the pay. Let's go full capitalism here. We'd certainly wipe out the lesser teams, like Louisville or West Virginia. They're just overrated irritants most of the time anyway.

And we wouldn't have to listen to anymore crap from the Vandys and the Dukes about how their teams aren't that good because they still place primary emphasis on education and, therefore, they have higher standards. If they want to compete then they need to find sponsors and put their cash on the table.

Of course that could backfire with places like Duke that has a more financially successful alumni group. Texas would probably be in the top 3 every year with the big oil money behind it.

Imagine, the Pilot Oil Tennessee Volunteers or the Texaco Texas Longhorns. The University still gets its cut by the fees paid to be affiliated with the school. Would Memphis suddenly become better than UT because Fedex has more money than Pilot?

Naming rights to the stadiums, uniforms with advertising on them like a NASCAR driver's suit, there's a ton of cash out there if you let capitalism run its course.

We wouldn't have to deal with the NCAA BS about student-athletes.

If you're the #1 HS player in the country you can make your college choice based on your best financial offer. Why not? Everybody is getting rich off this except the players, who do all the work.

And think about how this would streamline college administrative staffs. The whole athletic departments at each university would be eliminated. That would be the affiliated clubs' responsibility.

The more I think about this the more I like it.

because yall dont understand what a degree means. It doesnt mean you know more than someone else. It means you were given a task with specific requirements and you were able to complete the task. The degree is the proof you can do it

I actually do understand that, and what you said is the very best way to put it.

Yea, this isn’t looking good. Even if everyone else plays, how does it affect the rankings??

At this point in this time of fear (or what ever you want to call it) what difference do rankings matter? If the SEC and a few others play, it's not for national rankings, it's TO PLAY THE GAME. Now, to see where you are in the SEC at the end could have some significance as a by line for players, but I think they will look more at their season record and hopefully be able to say we nearly won'um all.

Pfftt, I use differential equations to sell beer everyday. X beer sells at a different rate than Y beer, which equates to more money for said account. rookie.😎
GBO!!

Reactions: norrislakevol
We are living in an age where decisions and actions by some "leaders" is NOT based in truth or logic. Its based on fear, pressure from a tiny group of people, and outright agenda seeking. While certainly there are a few here who still don't understand this I think most of us do. I personally believe the Big 10's decision is based on all three. When we look at these types of decision through the lens of cultural understanding and present day hysteria for agenda achieving its much easier to understand this utter insanity we are seeing rampant in every area of life. Again, I know some here have no clue what I'm talking about and I'm cool with that.

I have a degree in accounting. 99% of what I do is data entry and use of Excel. I firmly believe that 4 years of Excel study would've benefitted me more than anything else.

Pac-12 players show unity, list demands in letter

And this is the reason why the Big10 and PAC don’t wanna play. Just because of about 13 players wanna start a movement that has nothing to do with football. Some of these demands are not possible so Big10 just rather cancel the season than have to deal with this type of Sh!t!!!!

Agree. It's more about this than Corona. Of course, they won't admit that...

We are living in an age where decisions and actions by some "leaders" is NOT based in truth or logic. Its based on fear, pressure from a tiny group of people, and outright agenda seeking. While certainly there are a few here who still don't understand this I think most of us do. I personally believe the Big 10's decision is based on all three. When we look at these types of decision through the lens of cultural understanding and present day hysteria for agenda achieving its much easier to understand this utter insanity we are seeing rampant in every area of life. Again, I know some here have no clue what I'm talking about and I'm cool with that.
Pac-12 players show unity, list demands in letter

And this is the reason why the Big10 and PAC don’t wanna play. Just because of about 13 players wanna start a movement that has nothing to do with football. Some of these demands are not possible so Big10 just rather cancel the season than have to deal with this type of Sh!t!!!!

I'm going to use these posts as a segue to raise a discussion. How does this affect the long term recruiting landscape of college football? As I see it (and feel free to disagree here), IF the SEC, ACC, and BIG12 play here while others don't, it will seriously, negatively effect the careers and draft status of players in conferences that choose not to play. For instance the 20 class freshmen, will essentially be a year behind players in conferences that decided to play. Obviously players that aren't playing won't be able to work themselves into draft status this year. Also, of these players that signed this complaint, the VAST majority appear to be non-impact players....a lot of mid range 3 stars..some not rated at all. In fact, only one looks like a player we would like to have from a production standpoint.
If you are an elite college football player, do you look at this and say to yourself....football just means more in the south. I(as a college athlete) am not going to put my career in jeopardy by not playing where it means the most. Will this turn elite athletes away from the Big 10 and PAC 12?

I hate to say it, I think you're on to something when it comes to college sports. Big time college football and basketball have distracted from the primary college purpose, education. Half the posters on VN don't believe a college education has any value, they're not supporting the university, they're rooting for a football team.

So let's turn all intercollegiate sports teams into university affiliated clubs that are allowed to be sponsored by private businesses. No scholarships, but the clubs can pay the players and the clubs could pay the educational expenses of the players. And no limits on the pay. Let's go full capitalism here. We'd certainly wipe out the lesser teams, like Louisville or West Virginia. They're just overrated irritants most of the time anyway.

And we wouldn't have to listen to anymore crap from the Vandys and the Dukes about how their teams aren't that good because they still place primary emphasis on education and, therefore, they have higher standards. If they want to compete then they need to find sponsors and put their cash on the table.

Of course that could backfire with places like Duke that has a more financially successful alumni group. Texas would probably be in the top 3 every year with the big oil money behind it.

Imagine, the Pilot Oil Tennessee Volunteers or the Texaco Texas Longhorns. The University still gets its cut by the fees paid to be affiliated with the school. Would Memphis suddenly become better than UT because Fedex has more money than Pilot?

Naming rights to the stadiums, uniforms with advertising on them like a NASCAR driver's suit, there's a ton of cash out there if you let capitalism run its course.

We wouldn't have to deal with the NCAA BS about student-athletes.

If you're the #1 HS player in the country you can make your college choice based on your best financial offer. Why not? Everybody is getting rich off this except the players, who do all the work.

And think about how this would streamline college administrative staffs. The whole athletic departments at each university would be eliminated. That would be the affiliated clubs' responsibility.

The more I think about this the more I like it.

I like your original thinking. A&M and Arkansas probably have the wealthiest alums in the SEC. As to your corporately sponsored teams, I think the NFL will create a G League sooner or later.

I'm going to use these posts as a segue to raise a discussion. How does this affect the long term recruiting landscape of college football? As I see it (and feel free to disagree here), IF the SEC, ACC, and BIG12 play here while others don't, it will seriously, negatively effect the careers and draft status of players in conferences that choose not to play. For instance the 20 class freshmen, will essentially be a year behind players in conferences that decided to play. Obviously players that aren't playing won't be able to work themselves into draft status this year. Also, of these players that signed this complaint, the VAST majority appear to be non-impact players....a lot of mid range 3 stars..some not rated at all. In fact, only one looks like a player we would like to have from a production standpoint.
If you are an elite college football player, do you look at this and say to yourself....football just means more in the south. I(as a college athlete) am not going to put my career in jeopardy by not playing where it means the most. Will this turn elite athletes away from the Big 10 and PAC 12?

I'd say that depends on whether the athletes "demands" are acquiesced to.

i.e. -- What are they paying?

Yesterday, Finebaum interviewed a sports writer from the west by the name of Wilner. This guy made at least three references to the "academic mission" of the PAC 12 and Big 10 as if it was better than the other three members of the Power 5. The smugness of his attitude as he said the other conferences would have to follow suit if those two decided not to play because of "optics" came across as if the other conferences were stupid and needed to heed the guidance of those that are wiser because of their "academic mission". I hope it is not an attitude that is shared by the presidents of the PAC 12 and the Big 10 but if it is, they must really think they have the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 by the balls.

Of course the political orientation of the states in the two "enlightened" conferences is pretty much the opposite of those states hosting the SEC, ACC, and Big 12.

good question, this can play out either really good for the SEC if we are the only major show in town for folks to watch or bad if the fears from the risk are realized and players catch it or worse someone actually dies. Not gonna lie I really want a season badly.

I'm sure that Ohio St. will advance to the playoff finals with -0- losses

VN Store

Back