Big ten cancels football

That's about what I figured, but I thought I would give you a chance to explain such a ridiculous statement before I wrote you off completely and put you on ignore.

If you knew it then why did you have to have an elaborate non-discussion about it. Clairvoyance kick in and out?

If you knew it then why did you have to have an elaborate non-discussion about it. Clairvoyance kick in and out?
Like I said...to give you a chance to explain what on earth you are talking about....I was hoping it wasn't as ridiculous as it seemed at face value. I think you know how ridiculous it is or you wouldn't dance around it every time someone asks a direct question about it.

Like I said...to give you a chance to explain what on earth you are talking about....I was hoping it wasn't as ridiculous as it seemed at face value. I think you know how ridiculous it is or you wouldn't dance around it every time someone asks a direct question about it.

It? There is no "it" in "Ignore".

I wonder if some of the best players might want to transfer to an SEC school where they might get some 2020 playing time?!?!

I'd say most SEC team are at their 85 limit and UT might even be over the 85?...Unless it's changed above 85 I don't see a team booting current players off to have a transfer player play in 10 games.

I hate to say it, I think you're on to something when it comes to college sports. Big time college football and basketball have distracted from the primary college purpose, education. Half the posters on VN don't believe a college education has any value, they're not supporting the university, they're rooting for a football team.

So let's turn all intercollegiate sports teams into university affiliated clubs that are allowed to be sponsored by private businesses. No scholarships, but the clubs can pay the players and the clubs could pay the educational expenses of the players. And no limits on the pay. Let's go full capitalism here. We'd certainly wipe out the lesser teams, like Louisville or West Virginia. They're just overrated irritants most of the time anyway.

And we wouldn't have to listen to anymore crap from the Vandys and the Dukes about how their teams aren't that good because they still place primary emphasis on education and, therefore, they have higher standards. If they want to compete then they need to find sponsors and put their cash on the table.

Of course that could backfire with places like Duke that has a more financially successful alumni group. Texas would probably be in the top 3 every year with the big oil money behind it.

Imagine, the Pilot Oil Tennessee Volunteers or the Texaco Texas Longhorns. The University still gets its cut by the fees paid to be affiliated with the school. Would Memphis suddenly become better than UT because Fedex has more money than Pilot?

Naming rights to the stadiums, uniforms with advertising on them like a NASCAR driver's suit, there's a ton of cash out there if you let capitalism run its course.

We wouldn't have to deal with the NCAA BS about student-athletes.

If you're the #1 HS player in the country you can make your college choice based on your best financial offer. Why not? Everybody is getting rich off this except the players, who do all the work.

And think about how this would streamline college administrative staffs. The whole athletic departments at each university would be eliminated. That would be the affiliated clubs' responsibility.

The more I think about this the more I like it.
Who is making all this money? There are over 25000 college coaches in all divisions and all sports. There are less than 200 of them making $1,000,000 or more. There are more than 150,000 student athletes on scholarship costing nearly $3 Billion dollars. There is not this boatload of money available to be dispersed. Title IX took care of most of that.
Donors and bagmen are taking care of the free market for those who want/need/take it. This ploy is only an act so that agents can get a cut of the action. Prove me wrong.

That may be the lesson that is driven home at least in the US. If we can't value human life over an insatiable desire to be entertained, then it IS time for sports to go. Away. For good.
Is there anything that brings joy to your life? Some times you take a greater risk because it'll bring more joy. Riding a motorcycle without a helmet, taking your hands off the handlebars, sex without a condom.

Reactions: 508mikey
They should move to the Big 12
EfKd2ruWAAEE7fq
Nebraska will use this as an excuse to leave the big 10. They have never had success, they can get nearly as much money from the Big 12 where they will one again have some real rivalries, and the schedule put out by hte Big 10 proves they are sweethearts with OSU, and consider Nebraska fodder. I'm sure that the AD and president are getting calls from donors and the Big 12 to make a break.

Reactions: Volanta
Nebraska will use this as an excuse to leave the big 10. They have never had success, they can get nearly as much money from the Big 12 where they will one again have some real rivalries, and the schedule put out by hte Big 10 proves they are sweethearts with OSU, and consider Nebraska fodder. I'm sure that the AD and president are getting calls from donors and the Big 12 to make a break.

$50 million. That's their take from Big 10 revenue and avg in Big 12 is $36 million and that is with revenue of Texas and OU driving that up. Nebraska is probably getting about $25 million more in Big 10. Don't think they will go anywhere.

Reactions: Volanta
$50 million. That's their take from Big 10 revenue and avg in Big 12 is $36 million and that is with revenue of Texas and OU driving that up. Nebraska is probably getting about $25 million more in Big 10. Don't think they will go anywhere.
Those are last year's numbers, I'm assuming if NE goes to the Big 12 the big 12 TV payout goes way up, and the Big 10 without football has a much lower payout. I compare this to the CPF haters that bit their tongues until he went 5-7 then they came out of the woodwork to devour him. There are a bunch of Husker fans that never wanted the Big 10 (or to leave the Big12 with OK and TX)

I hate to say it, I think you're on to something when it comes to college sports. Big time college football and basketball have distracted from the primary college purpose, education. Half the posters on VN don't believe a college education has any value, they're not supporting the university, they're rooting for a football team.

So let's turn all intercollegiate sports teams into university affiliated clubs that are allowed to be sponsored by private businesses. No scholarships, but the clubs can pay the players and the clubs could pay the educational expenses of the players. And no limits on the pay. Let's go full capitalism here. We'd certainly wipe out the lesser teams, like Louisville or West Virginia. They're just overrated irritants most of the time anyway.

And we wouldn't have to listen to anymore crap from the Vandys and the Dukes about how their teams aren't that good because they still place primary emphasis on education and, therefore, they have higher standards. If they want to compete then they need to find sponsors and put their cash on the table.

Of course that could backfire with places like Duke that has a more financially successful alumni group. Texas would probably be in the top 3 every year with the big oil money behind it.

Imagine, the Pilot Oil Tennessee Volunteers or the Texaco Texas Longhorns. The University still gets its cut by the fees paid to be affiliated with the school. Would Memphis suddenly become better than UT because Fedex has more money than Pilot?

Naming rights to the stadiums, uniforms with advertising on them like a NASCAR driver's suit, there's a ton of cash out there if you let capitalism run its course.

We wouldn't have to deal with the NCAA BS about student-athletes.

If you're the #1 HS player in the country you can make your college choice based on your best financial offer. Why not? Everybody is getting rich off this except the players, who do all the work.

And think about how this would streamline college administrative staffs. The whole athletic departments at each university would be eliminated. That would be the affiliated clubs' responsibility.

The more I think about this the more I like it.
If Harvard taps that endowment fund they could field an NFL team

That may be the lesson that is driven home at least in the US. If we can't value human life over an insatiable desire to be entertained, then it IS time for sports to go. Away. For good.

What a Debbie Downer. Stop being such a kill joy. Stop trying to make life miserable for the rest of us.

VN Store

Back