Big.... Potential BCS Expansion.

blah. they are going 12. they have been talking everyone into it since last year. I am a fan of the 8 team, but so many greediness want a 16, or more, that they can't stop at 8.

Reactions: VOLfrombama
BCS has been gone for a long time. Now its CFP.

Ive seen it a couple ways. That article says 6 highest rated Conf Champs plus 6 at large. I like the idea of 12 teams with 5 conference champs and 6 at larges with 1 GO5 champ thrown in to make the smaller schools happy.

blah. they are going 12. they have been talking everyone into it since last year. I am a fan of the 8 team, but so many greediness want a 16, or more, that they can't stop at 8.
I think its healthier for CFB to have more teams. We have seen the rich get richer with 4 (Clempson, Bummer, Jawja, OSU)

I think everyone knew once they started the playoffs, it would only expand. They will go a few years then add some more. It's how the NCAA basketball tournament now has 837 (roughly) teams in it.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Is this for Div I or Div II?

the Bowl Championship Series ended effectively when the College Football Playoff started during the 2014 season for Football Bowl Subdivision [The FBS is the most competitive subdivision of NCAA Division I, which itself consists of the largest and most competitive schools in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA)].

I'm not aware of a BCS for DII. As far as I know it has always been a playoff system.

I think its healthier for CFB to have more teams. We have seen the rich get richer with 4 (Clempson, Bummer, Jawja, OSU)
Was going to say the same thing. The teams who've been fortunate enough to be "good" in the playoff era have been advantaged and as a result, the separation of top tier has grown over other traditionally strong programs. If you're LSU, UGA, Bama you're recruiting pitch has been "come here and you'll be in the playoffs at least a few times in your career. This will bring more competition to CFB...which it desperately needs. Even though UT's a non factor, I've gotten tired of starting the season knowing the playoff mix will be pretty much made of same teams...Bama, UGA, LSU, OSU, OK...maybe UF, Aub, ND

It should be at 8 in my opinion. But I can live with 12, 16 is just too many and for sure is the outer most I think we ever see or should see. But I could see it going 12 and staying there for a good while. I do think the 4 team format is too small and the hot teams during it have reaped the benefits and it's sales pitch. I liked 8 to begin with when all the playoff talk started. I thought 4 was a mistake and still do. I am warming up to the 12 team format and I think that will expand some wealth distribution throughout the landscape. GBO!!!!!

If this passes, the SEC needs to drop the championship game. It would serve no purpose under this system and could only be a detriment if players get hurt.
The only benefit would be playing for one of the byes in the first round. I assume they will have four byes, so teams 5-12 will play in playoff week 1 and then teams 1-4 would play the remaining teams in reverse order of seeding (team 1 plays the lowest rated remaining team, etc.).

So much for Bowl game money -- its headed out the door for teams with less than 9 wins

And ESPN tightens their grip, and everyone applauds because the financial numbers go up. As long as the financial numbers go up, nothing else on or off the field matters.

Reactions: JRich and tnutater
The only benefit would be playing for one of the byes in the first round. I assume they will have four byes, so teams 5-12 will play in playoff week 1 and then teams 1-4 would play the remaining teams in reverse order of seeding (team 1 plays the lowest rated remaining team, etc.).

Every year since 2008 the team that ultimately won the SECCG went into the game ranked in the Top 4 except for 2017. That year Auburn went in at #2 and lost to #6 UGA. The only other year where the result determined seeding was 2008 when #2 UF beat #1 Bama.

Reactions: spyfish007
the Bowl Championship Series ended effectively when the College Football Playoff started during the 2014 season for Football Bowl Subdivision [The FBS is the most competitive subdivision of NCAA Division I, which itself consists of the largest and most competitive schools in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA)].

I'm not aware of a BCS for DII. As far as I know it has always been a playoff system.
It was never a "series". It was a National Title Game. When they expanded it to add another bowl game then a national title game it watered it down even more.

VN Store

Back