big early win

I’d say early money is in Gaines leaving via transfer portal. Obviously would love for him to stay and be a 4 year player, but his PT may not grow by much next year.
Sorry, this is a bad take.

Barnes played seven against Washington because they had to get that win. Neutral court, top 20 opponent.

Gaines isn’t going anywhere. He’s too talented

If you can’t trust Barnes’ system and strategy now, when will you ever?

Barnes played seven against Washington because they had to get that win. Neutral court, top 20 opponent.

It was really a comment less about Barnes and more about the nature of college athletics. We will have guys hit the transfer portal, just like every other school in the country. I trust his process as much as one can, but the reality is, we will over recruiting with the expectation of losing a guy or guys, and Gaines, in my opinion, is a candidate to leave and get PT elsewhere. We have a ton of talent coming in and I can easily see him getting lost in rotation.

3 of TN's recent signees probably end up in the NBA before becoming upperclassmen. Gaines is an important member of the team as he is likely a team leader in 2 or 3 years. This team is better because guys like Fulkerson have been a part of it for several years.

Last edited:

Totally agree

These guys will get minutes and play this season......maybe more than we figured.

Barnes did what was best for the team to get a single win on that day.

Barnes’s Tennessee team is a “system” team....not just a bunch of good athletes that try to score a lot. They start with a good man D, run on O when they can but mainly play a passing/motion set O.

Had to have players out there who would not hurt the team and who “all” would contribute.

Once Gaines and Pember play more (in easier games) they will learn more, and grow. I firmly believe that Tennessee will have at least a 9 man rotation letter in the season. Now don’t get me wrong it looks like 6 players will get the majority of the minutes.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I think Gaines stays at UT for 4, maybe 5 years and gets drafted. I swear to u all, I truly believe this, the Ticket has the game, just needs the body and Barnes magic

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Remind us again on Johnson’s break out season this year - need that one to happen soon

It needs to happen before the SEC grind. But he's tripled his minutes, PPG, RPG, and APG. He's played 48 minutes with zero turnovers and one foul. He's made both of his free throws. He only had 3 FTs his FR and SO years. Versus Murray State it looked to me like he was busting his ass playing perimeter defense. With Turner hurting he has an opportunity. Sit back and see how he responds as the Deacon pushes his buttons.

If u a referring to me, I never said that. I did say Derrick Walker would be a player at UT and was dead wrong about that one.
My apologies Dog - thought you had called for a break out season for Johnson and I thought there was reason to be optimistic there.

Pons and Fulky are both performing above my expectations. Johnson is a guy who has been in the program for several years and by all accounts has NBA potential if he can develop. Hope his increased minutes makes things click for him,

Reactions: The Dog

VN Store

Back